Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 PM

62 posts, read 45,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Of course banning anything has the effect of causing the masses of mindless minions to gravitate toward this "banned thing" what ever it is.

This country tried banning alcohol, how did that work out?
How has banning marijuana, or cocaine, or crack worked out?
Even the suggestion of banning tobacco creates a howl that is deafening.
Ban birth control and watch the birth rate drop
Ban seat belt use and watch the death rate on the highways decline.
Ban drinks larger than 20 Oz and watch obese people order 2 or 3 drinks.

Organized religions would love it if a government banned religion, the greatest recruitment movement they could hope for.
Indeed. Thank goodness we have smart people like the posters herevaround to guide the poor mindless minions...,:s mack:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM

83 posts, read 130,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderkid50 View Post
I'm not pro life necessarily, but some view the fetus as a human being. Thus it's not about the woman it's about the unborn human. Funny thing is, I work very near an abortion clinic. Vast majority of it's visitors are minorities. But yet conservatives are cast by liberals as racists, unfailingly.

Gays don't have a right to marry as the institution of marriage is traditionally defined. Neither do wolves and people. Gays call it a "right" but it's really an exception. 12 year olds don't have the right to drive. Are their rights being violated?
I'm high right now. You, though, must be even higher! I'll respond to this tomorrow - it just seems so incredible! Wolves and people? Is that what you wrote? As I said, I'm high. So I just want to make sure I'm not imagining this...so, yes, tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 PM

62 posts, read 45,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
I'm high right now. You, though, must be even higher! I'll respond to this tomorrow - it just seems so incredible! Wolves and people? Is that what you wrote? As I said, I'm high. So I just want to make sure I'm not imagining this...so, yes, tomorrow.
I'm high on life, dude.

Yea, sorry, I dont believe the same sex should marry and be considered as no different than opposite sex marriages. Consenting adults can do as they like. Doesn't mean the rest of society has to endorse it, or even encourage it.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I'm high on life, dude.

Yea, sorry, I dont believe the same sex should marry and be considered as no different than opposite sex marriages. Consenting adults can do as they like. Doesn't mean the rest of society has to endorse it, or even encourage it.
Just don't ban or persecute it. That'll do just fine.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 AM

775 posts, read 740,807 times
Quote:
Absolutely and utterly predictable. Atheism is by and large the province of the uber leftie world. You know, in addition to hating G-d and Christians, atheists also pretty much loathe the US - especially its wealth and power.
Don't kid yourself. Not only were the founders of the United States largely deists highly critical of Christianity, but 49% of republicans, according to recent polls, want Obama's economic policies to fail.

Did you know that the origin of the terms "Left" and "Right" came from French revolutionaries sitting on the left of the French National Assembly, and monarchists on the right? True story bro.

Quote:
Gosh, aint we awful people, us believers in G-d,
Believers? Believers? And you think faith, rather than logic and statistics, should dictate public policy?

Quote:
capitalism,
Which is antithetical to your savior's doctrine. Isn't it ironic?

Quote:
That, less government and fewer entitlement programs.
A philosophy that has empirically failed. Sorry.

Quote:
Plus we are so much dumber than the humbler (not at all) and tolerant (only if you agree with their position) liberal elitist whack jobs. That's sarcasm folks.
No, it's not. Liberals and atheists are significantly more intelligent and educated than the religious right, according to a multitude of studies, and more developed nations tend to be secular.

Quote:
Hate to tell you but religion is not going anywhere. Not in your lifetime. Even Obama has the sense to claim a religion. Not sure what he really is though.
Too bad for you the statistics indicate otherwise. I love how you flatly deny the numbers and simply restate your wishes as fact, though. Maybe you believe that, through sheer force of will, the OP's findings will disappear?

Quote:
For others here, it's all about the gay agenda. At some point they will push it too far, and then the backlash will begin, in earnest. That will be fun to watch, whether a Christian or not. Lol
Don't count on it. Only a delusional moron would look at the recent and long term statistical trends and conclude that the gay movement is going to fail. Oops.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 AM

434 posts, read 342,398 times
Quote:
I'm high on life, dude.

You will, predictably, squeal the loudest in triumph as you circle the drain for the final time.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
You will, predictably, squeal the loudest in triumph as you circle the drain for the final time.
Five years time, 'Superkd' (formerly several posters banned for troling) will be loudly swearing that we haven't a hope of winning on taxation of religions and that the polled irreligious will never get above 40%

Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM

434 posts, read 342,398 times
Precious

Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned.
Didn't you see a stall when you were there? Since theists have a long tradition of dishing out predictions that don't come true, I think that the atheists might now essay a couple that at least seem to be indicated by trends rather than merely by wishful thinking.

There was a newsflash about Welsh chapel closure and I checked this out. There is a similar trend in British churches closing and being available for car Boot sales. There were various efforts to argue that this was simply for financial restructuring plus some chat about an increase in numbers (amongst the black and Asian communities) with some standard graph tricks like streeeetching out the ten year period and having a tidgy measure of the entire amount of population to make it look like a shallow decline (whereas 0-10 years against a measure in 10,000s of population would looks like a nose-dive) plus some optimistic chat about 'getting out of the churches into the community'.

However, the reason for the closures - that there only a half dozen people turning up - would indicate that, if they are going out into the community, they will need to bring something better that Godfaith or their Dog- collar is not going to save them from a frosty reception. The right wing rags are beating their breasts and appealing for money to prop up the edifice ecclesiastical (as though the Smelligraph and the church hadn't tons more dosh than we do).

However, since the church has been quite content to demolish our massive redbrick local church and build a brick shed rather than provide the money to keep the Ecclesiastical zeppelin hangar from collapsing, I don't see why we should fork out to keep them afloat.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-27-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Who's not guilty of group-think (besides myself)?

Agnostics search, the rest proclaim/proselytize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality