Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to spend eternity with God? It's not about heaven or hell. Would you want to be aroun
Yes 19 31.67%
No 41 68.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:54 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Maybe I'm not thinking deeply enough, but I'm not seeing an unanswered question in any of those?
No maybe about it, you are definitely NOT thinking very deeply about the issues, but that is not your fault. It is endemic to all but very few intellectually rigorous thinkers curious about the status of our Reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree that science is the best method for determining that which is verifiably true.

But sometimes guesstimation, serendipity, art, and dreams kick-start that which science has to parse into intelligible bits.
You might be philosophically wondering into your own form of religion.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so what is your traits of god?

basically, what I mean, we know the biblegod god thingie isn't really valid, so what is your take on whats going on?

delusional and needy isn't the best conclusion and doesn't match observations in enough cases to explain the interactions we see.

whats you take? what are these people feeling a connection to, but misunderstanding? how does the universe workings explain it?

Our perceptions of God are governed entirely by our emotions. That's why some people feel no connection to god while others like religious fanatics go into ecstasies over him. But most people are simply indifferent to god as I have become over the years. It has nothing to do with god as an independent influencing factor in our lives. He isn't. If he's real, he's totally absent from this world.

Quote:
delusional and needy isn't the best conclusion
On the contrary, I think delusional and needy are perfect reasons why people turn to god. Needy people need a father figure to control them. Delusional people believe they are actually communicating with him when they are only communicating with their subconscious. Delusion can make a Christian feel so close to Jesus that all they want--all they desire in their lives is to be dead so they can see Jesus face to face. We've seen it right here:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I agree with Mr5150. I love the Lord Jesus, and long to see Him face to face.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The Judeo-Christian god is a no-good <<bleep>>. People would have to be as sick as he is to want to be around such a character for eternity. That's why I'm so glad he is a fiction invented by the Jews. He's just another pagan god no different from Zeus or Thor.

Sorry, mensa. I didn't know the expletive was bad.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:01 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Our perceptions of God are governed entirely by our emotions. That's why some people feel no connection to god while others like religious fanatics go into ecstasies over him. But most people are simply indifferent to god as I have become over the years. It has nothing to do with god as an independent influencing factor in our lives. He isn't. If he's real, he's totally absent from this world.

On the contrary, I think delusional and needy are perfect reasons why people turn to god. Needy people need a father figure to control them. Delusional people believe they are actually communicating with him when they are only communicating with their subconscious. Delusion can make a Christian feel so close to Jesus that all they want--all they desire in their lives is to be dead so they can see Jesus face to face. We've seen it right here:
Haha! I think atheists are delusional when they claim no evidence of a higher being.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Why do you think there has to be a why? All evidence points to we are a randomly evolved being. Show some courage Jimmie, ask rational questions and honestly seek the truth.
A cosmic accident!

Old 05-10-2019, 08:13 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No maybe about it, you are definitely NOT thinking very deeply about the issues, but that is not your fault. It is endemic to all but very few intellectually rigorous thinkers curious about the status of our Reality.
Thanks. Relieved to know that my lack of intellectual rigor is not my fault!

But I do remain intellectually curious about your consistent, repeated use of capitalized "Reality," which suggests to me a meaning that others may not take for granted. What does the term mean to you? (I previously said I wouldn't ask again, citing the 3-strikes rule, but am seizing the moment since you were kind enough to reach out to me directly)

Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Haha! I think atheists are delusional when they claim no evidence of a higher being.

But you DO admit you'd like to be in heaven right now just to see your Jesus face to face, right? You just said you do. That's not normal, Jimmie. Unless you're, I don't know...maybe 90 years old with one leg in the grave. You know, suffering the ravages of old age, incontinent, bedsores, the whole nine yards. Then I could see how it might make a little sense.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
But you DO admit you'd like to be in heaven right now just to see your Jesus face to face, right?

You just said you do. That's not normal, Jimmie.
No, it is not normal...
It is exceptional.

I had to add: Why on earth do you think a baby cries?
Because he left his Home and wants to go back, realizing what a freaking
blunder he made to come back HERE!~!! All our soul wants is to be Home with out Father again.
It's a fool that wants this place, my friend. But...we make the best of it and grow and love.
And it is the exceptional one that gets in touch with that desire of his heart.
In all the beer bottles and all the women and in all the travels and fame we only all
want the one thing...
to be Home in that Eternal bosom of peace.

'I cried when I was born. And each day shows why.'
~George Herbert , 16c Welsh Priest

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 05-10-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 02:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
But I do remain intellectually curious about your consistent, repeated use of capitalized "Reality," which suggests to me a meaning that others may not take for granted. What does the term mean to you?
Count me in on capping Reality, also.

Reality...which once experienced, is an experience of One being (ha, or Being) being at the center...the essence of it all....
Whether it be the color red, the dust particle floating on the sunbeam or the 10,000 galaxies hidden behind my thumb as I hold it to the sky.

Reality is the Divine. There is reading this...and then there is the direct, up close
and personal experience.

(Mystic may have another reason and, of course, another wonderful way to express it.
Take it, Bro...)

And drum roll please, I do not often have cause to write this...so pls indulge me, Heela, CS Lewis:

If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into,
the thing that has them.
They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, just hand out to anyone.
They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very center of reality.
If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not, you will remain dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality