Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times

Advertisements

Those of you who follow your religion fairly closely, attend services regularly, try to follow all the rules, etc... does your religion bring you happiness and peace? Or do you just worship because you are afraid of eternal punishment if you do not follow your religion?

I am realizing that religion, especially Church services, and having to follow so many rules, does not bring me any real happiness in life. I don't see how following God's rules has made my life in this world any better. The only reason i try to be somewhat religious is because i am fearful of the afterlife.

Do other people feel the same way? Or do most religious people get happiness from following God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
I follow it because I choose to.

I find an amazing sense of comfort and contentment in attending services and practicing my religion.
And I don't believe in eternal punishment.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I choose to. I find it fulfilling. Otherwise, why get out of bed on a perfectly good Sunday morning?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I choose to. I find it fulfilling. Otherwise, why get out of bed on a perfectly good Sunday morning?
Ha, that's exactly why I've been finding it difficult lately. The glad handing suburban priests who do "tea and cookies with the ladies" REAL well and the busybody parishioners who I really don't want to get to know. So, I don't find it that fulfilling. I know that what I've been taught (about 95+% of it) is still in my heart. I'm comfortable enough with that.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
1John 4:18 says: There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Those of you who follow your religion fairly closely, attend services regularly, try to follow all the rules, etc... does your religion bring you happiness and peace? Or do you just worship because you are afraid of eternal punishment if you do not follow your religion?

I am realizing that religion, especially Church services, and having to follow so many rules, does not bring me any real happiness in life. I don't see how following God's rules has made my life in this world any better. The only reason i try to be somewhat religious is because i am fearful of the afterlife.

Do other people feel the same way? Or do most religious people get happiness from following God?
It's not about rules. Not with genuine Christianty. Genuine Christianity is about relationship with God thru Jesus.

Rules are what Man has done to Christianity.

I can assure you that if you seek God, walk in the Spirit and forget this Rule thing you will be much happier. Find a church that is not Rule centered, but God centered.

And yes, my religion does bring me happiness and peace. My focus is on my relationship with God. I am sorry that your reason for being religious is based on fear of the afterlife. I really don't know anyone, personally, whose faith is fear based. Have only seen it on the internet.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Personal choice for myself. although for the most part my wife and myself worship at home with very little contact with others of our faith.

I worship for the single reason, I believe God(swt) is worthy of worship and my worship is my way to thank and praise him. I have no expectations of any gain. I do not know if I will got to heaven or hell. My worship is not for that purpose. I trust in the mercy, and fairness of God(swt)'s judgement and know I will jugged with perfection and fairly.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Personal choice for myself. although for the most part my wife and myself worship at home with very little contact with others of our faith.

I worship for the single reason, I believe God(swt) is worthy of worship and my worship is my way to thank and praise him. I have no expectations of any gain. I do not know if I will got to heaven or hell. My worship is not for that purpose. I trust in the mercy, and fairness of God(swt)'s judgement and know I will jugged with perfection and fairly.
^Absolutely beautiful. And true for me too.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Pretty clear there. There are many, many people who really chose religion and derive a great deal from it and cannot imagine not having it in their lives.

There are also those who feel obligated in some way to follow it, to please a spouse, because it is a community thing (I have relatives who do church stuff for community reasons and don't believe a word of it) or for who knows what reasons.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:28 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
My relationship with Christ has freed me from following a set of "rules". I made a choice to become a disciple of Christ. It is not a burden, but rather a joy.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Pretty clear there. There are many, many people who really chose religion and derive a great deal from it and cannot imagine not having it in their lives.

There are also those who feel obligated in some way to follow it, to please a spouse, because it is a community thing (I have relatives who do church stuff for community reasons and don't believe a word of it) or for who knows what reasons.
Your answer just made me realize that because of the population structure here, We may not represent the majority. I wish we did, but I suspect we don't.

Just my opinion but I suspect people who participate in forums on line, are more open minded and freer thinking than the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality