Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 AM

407 posts, read 829,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks for your input. Could I ask how it would affect your worldview when it fails to pan out? And I am willing to bet a very large sum that it doesn't.

(1) Would you shrug it off and wait for the next end -of world prediction?

(2) suppose that they got the date a bit wrong and it'll happen a few months later, not a doubt of it

(3) cop the idea that it actually did happen but in an sorta imperceptible way that nobody will notice right away, if not metaphorically or symbolically.

(4) become skeptical of all these end - of world predictions?
When it comes to the 'end of the world' predictions, you have to take a lot of them with a rather large grain of salt.

After all remember what Jesus said when asked about the end of the world? He said only The Father knows. No mortal men nor even the angels know.

Only He does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
are there people who believe it?

yeah

Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
are there people who believe it?

yeah
I know. You just have to play along.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
When it comes to the 'end of the world' predictions, you have to take a lot of them with a rather large grain of salt.

After all remember what Jesus said when asked about the end of the world? He said only The Father knows. No mortal men nor even the angels know.

Only He does.
Evidently not as he made it pretty clear that his coming again was imminent. What is worse is that Luke and John have him bussing in by cloud every other day after that. No. Forget the Jesus prediction.

I hadn't actually researched the Mayan thing, though I did know that they, like the Hindu Kalpanas, predict dates and events for centuries into the future. My mistake in talking about end of the word, rather than change.

While end of world takes a bit of ingenious retranslation when it doesn't pan out, 'Change' is a lot easier to claim. When doesn't it?

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In some circles of Christianity it is believed that the people who are descendent's of the Mayan kind will all convert to Christianity and this will be an end of time for the authority of the god of this world who these pagans of old worshiped ......Which came from prophets proclaiming ideas of the spirit for faith of Lord Jesus ....
That theory/concept/rumor/tripe has nothing to do with Christianity at all. That may be a belief in some circle, somewhere, but it's certainly not in Christianity.

And, no, I do not believe the Mayan prediction will come true.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Oh My God; they're BAAAAHHHKKKK!

Oh p & s, you DOUBTER you!

Many Christians have made the absolute statement it's when the End-Times will begin. And thus it will all end a few hours/days/weeks later, when Jesus triumphantly returns to claim His Earthly throne.

(btw, who would exactly want to be royally limited to ruling only this increasingly over-exploited and ruined globe? Isn't there a host of other better worlds out there that the Christians could all sail to in their Grande Golden SpaceShip, steered and powered by angels, to wreck havoc on, as they once did to Hawaii for instance?

Ah yes; a pagan, heathen and unGodly island, with half-naked wimmin writhing around in front of their men, a veritable PARADISE transformed into a Doleâ„¢-owned, Thurston ravaged American colony, set up to enhance the lifestyles and bank accounts of some arrogant White Trash who invaded under the guise of Christianity's manifest goals for those heathens?

Men invented God and all His powers, building the overall mythology as time went by, correcting the little oversights the previous authors had inadvertently made.

But then they cut to the ultimate disciplinary threat: God or Jesus is furshur coming back, and He/they won't be at all happy at what you've been up to, you SINNERS you!

So it's obvious that the greater fairy-tale has GOT TO HAVE an extreme end-point event with which to threaten the kiddies and the as-yet-unthinking youngé types. You know them: the Christian Youth types....

http://amysrobot.com/files/purity_ball.JPG

http://coffeeatlukes.com/Lukes/wp-co...009_145253.jpg (Hmmm... Recognize that look anyone?)

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6048486_f260.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/...0ea1ef243b.jpg

and so on...

....who cluster around at my wife's church, smiling benignly on us, as they pat themselves on their heads and tell us "There's truly a way God can love you, lest you fall into the pits of hell when The End Times come! Mayan or otherwise! Glory to God, and PTL, repeatedly. Oh, and don't forget to tithe like hell too!"

Like that?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
NO, I don't but then again I don't believe Jesus will ever return either.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Oh p & s, you DOUBTER you!
ROFL

Quote:
Many Christians have made the absolute statement it's when the End-Times will begin. And thus it will all end a few hours/days/weeks later, when Jesus triumphantly returns to claim His Earthly throne.
The thing with that is this... There are a LOT of people who call themselves "Christians" but really aren't.

I could wear an orange robe, shave my head, chant and call myself a Hare Krishna for years. But, unless I'm LIVING OUT what the Hare Krishna's teach and live out, then I would be a fake and do damage to who the Hare Krishna's really are.

Regarding Christianity, there's only one biblical definition of who is a Christian. Calling yourself a Christian, going to church, praying and reading the Bible doesn't make anyone a Christian. I can call myself a member of YOUR family, sleep at your house every night, call your mother "mom" and put my photos in your scrap book for years... But that doesn't make me a true member of your family... especially if I'm running around saying your family believes this and that and you don't. It's the same thing with Christianity.

Matthew 7:21-23 says, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day (judgement day), ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’"

Christianity is God's to define. Not every person to pick apart and piece together how they like it.

So, I stick to my point that true Christians do NOT believe in the Mayan prophecy.

Quote:
(btw, who would exactly want to be royally limited to ruling only this increasingly over-exploited and ruined globe? Isn't there a host of other better worlds out there that the Christians could all sail to in their Grande Golden SpaceShip, steered and powered by angels, to wreck havoc on, as they once did to Hawaii for instance?
Wonderful question, actually. God is God of all. This world, unknown worlds, and even Hawaii. He's not limited. As for this (and I agree) increasingly over-exploited and ruined globe, He says that He will return soon and restore everything and it will be under His leadership. All that's going on now is evidence to people that we can NOT rightfully live and rule without Him.

Quote:
Ah yes; a pagan, heathen and unGodly island, with half-naked wimmin writhing around in front of their men, a veritable PARADISE transformed into a Dole™-owned, Thurston ravaged American colony, set up to enhance the lifestyles and bank accounts of some arrogant White Trash who invaded under the guise of Christianity's manifest goals for those heathens?
I have no idea what you're referencing here. I'm thinking you've moved on from my post and are responding to others.

Quote:
Men invented God and all His powers, building the overall mythology as time went by, correcting the little oversights the previous authors had inadvertently made.
Evidence?

Quote:
But then they cut to the ultimate disciplinary threat: God or Jesus is furshur coming back, and He/they won't be at all happy at what you've been up to, you SINNERS you!

So it's obvious that the greater fairy-tale has GOT TO HAVE an extreme end-point event with which to threaten the kiddies and the as-yet-unthinking youngé types. You know them: the Christian Youth types....

http://amysrobot.com/files/purity_ball.JPG

http://coffeeatlukes.com/Lukes/wp-co...009_145253.jpg (Hmmm... Recognize that look anyone?)

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6048486_f260.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/...0ea1ef243b.jpg

and so on...

....who cluster around at my wife's church, smiling benignly on us, as they pat themselves on their heads and tell us "There's truly a way God can love you, lest you fall into the pits of hell when The End Times come! Mayan or otherwise! Glory to God, and PTL, repeatedly. Oh, and don't forget to tithe like hell too!"

Like that?
So, you don't believe in God. Your choice has been made then. I'm sad about that but I accept it like God does. He doesn't force Himself on anyone. Accept Him or reject Him, it's each person's personal decision. And, with every decision, there are consequences. If you're so sure that God doesn't exist and are willing to risk your eternity on that, then you've made your own choice. I get it.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:26 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Sure . If you mean dissolving the veil.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I was reminded of this thread by a programme last night on the bods who are training up for the collapse of civilization in Dec 2012, in a sorta astrological death from outer space together with some pretty free grab - bags of prophecy, but mainly focussed on the Mayan thing.

I don't want to go into mockery mode, because maybe these bods are trying to do what they think it right, though it looks to me like simply acting out their deluded fantasies.

Neverthless, we have only a couple of months to ge before yet another stupid end of world prophecy is shown to be the delusion of people who should be old enough to know better and I don't want us to lose sight of it, because long, loud and unmerciful mockery of these people and their stupid and alarmist delusions is the only way to wean them off their habit of crying wolf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality