Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be upset if a family member married outside your faith?
Yes 3 7.14%
No 24 57.14%
I don't know 6 14.29%
What a stupid Question. 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
On a personal note it is a moot point as I currently have no close unmarried family members. So I can only answer in a hypothetical sense.

If it was something that were to happen to me, I would accept it in stride and look at it as an opportunity to introduce someone to my faith so they could choose.

But, that is purely hypothetical and I really do not know what my reaction would be if it actually happened.
Marriage is between one man and one woman ... not any of the families business.

I never ask anyone if it was ok to marry either one of my wives ! ! !

I had some of them to object to my choices, and I told them to mind there own business,
and stay out of mine, and I did not care what they thought ! ! !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times
My wife and I were of two different beliefs, she was a Christian, I am a Native American and I do not believe in Christianity but we looked beyond that and we have been married for 36 years now the question of religious belief has never come up. As for our children, that question has still never come up and it never will, you see our children were raised to be very open minded when it comes to beliefs and they were free to choose whichever they wanted and the same holds true for my grandchildren.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
As long as they aren't Mormons or Scientologists, I would not be upset at all.
Yea, that ^^^^

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
I think I would be somewhat disappointed. It hasn't happened to many people in my family, if at all. Most people I know who are Catholic married other Catholics, usually because they met in school or were of the same ethnicity, such as Mexican-American or other typically Catholic ethnic group.

As for me, I would only lean a little to the right, Greek Orthodox, and a little to the left, Episcopal. I would feel out of place in any other religion, and a similar faith is one more thing that makes the situation gel even more.

Growing up in SoCal, it was real easy to tell when an interfaith marriage was occurring for financial gain. Talk about eyewash.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
As long as they aren't Mormons or Scientologists, I would not be upset at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yea, that ^^^^
This kind of surprises me, even coming from the two of you. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Please domnot take this topic off topic in defense of Mormonism.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
On a personal note it is a moot point as I currently have no close unmarried family members. So I can only answer in a hypothetical sense.

If it was something that were to happen to me, I would accept it in stride and look at it as an opportunity to introduce someone to my faith so they could choose.

But, that is purely hypothetical and I really do not know what my reaction would be if it actually happened.
How bizarre.

So a relative finds a mate, and they're a different faith and you'd take an opportunity to introduce them to your faith so they could choose?

If they're another faith and they're with a family member who's of your religion, what business is it of yours?

Even if you met someone of another faith, and they didn't share your views you'd use it as an opportunity to convert them to your faith.

Strange.

They already have a faith, they don't want to be of your faith. And you'd still try to convert them.

Sick.

You weren't born into a religion, you made a choice to have your religion. When someone is born they are born FREE of all religious dogma.

the brainwashing begins when someone impresses their religious views on someone who isn't indoctrinated into a "religion".

It's all stupid.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM

659 posts, read 1,101,429 times
Depends on the particulars of the other faith, but most likely I wouldn't care.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,007,717 times
Depends on how annoying they are with their truth; on a scale 0-10 <3.5 is a no go.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Religion is man made and what my relatives do is of no concern to me, it is their life and their choice. I'm on marriage number 3 and all 3 have been outside of my baptised faith, no biggie either way.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
My family is free to choose whom they will marry. I can't choose who they love enough to want to be with for the rest of their lives.

I would just hope that they have chosen wisely after much consideration about the differences in their religious beliefs. I understand it works well with some.

ps. I do wish I had chosen the partner for two of my girls though. JK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality