Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM

707 posts, read 687,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbon View Post
Time started at the Big Bang.
According to Stephen Hawking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
If you are looking for a crocoduck, you are not going to find any of those as that is not what the ToE claims.
Just some evidence. You know evidence which atheists base everything on.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Perhaps I am over anxious but I always feel that a fatheaded 'God obviously made everything' post with an equally fatheaded 'Yeah, right on brother " response is going to fool some gullible dupe into thinking 'well, they seem pretty sure..'

So I feel moved by the ineffable pseudopod of the FSM to explain that it's just fatheadedness.

(1) the only 'Hoax' we get in recent times is stuffl ike the Paluxy tracks and the carefully clipped sandal prints and other creationist deceptions.
The "God made everything" idea is very distorted for many atheists compared to some belivers. God created the laws of physics for us humans to discover. It's not just magic as some here have said.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM

584 posts, read 597,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I would point out that the thread (perhaps inevitably) has become yet Creationist arguments against evolution thread so Nozz hardly 'Started it' and of course knows - as I do -that by no means all theists are Creationists.

and of course 'Strawman' is perfectly good shorthand for Strawman fallacy ...
I just figure that if you wish to draw attention to something by means of unnecessary capitalization, you might also wish to make sure that your spelling it correctly. See Nizkor - Fallacy: Straw Man.

But thanks for rushing to his aid.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Your point? The two things are massively different claims. Us being made from the same materials found on the Earth... and us being made by magically influencing dust.

False. We do not even NEED to justify our non belief. It is justified enough by the fact you have offered literally no substantiation for the claims. More justification than that is not required.

However if you want people to have the "correct" idea about god then start giving them one, rather than just ranting no one has it right.

Pointing out your claims are unsubstantiated is not the same as being "Threatened" by them. You are just strawmanning now. I guess it is easier to pretend people are "Threatened" by you than actually refute their pointing out that you are just making unsubstantiated claims. It is not just theists that do this. All kinds of charlatans do. The Snake Oil sales man for example:

SnakeOilMan: Take this and it will cure you.
TheMark: What evidence have you that this will cure me?
SnakeOilMan: Why are you so scared of the medicine?

Creating imaginary biases in others to cover your own failings is a transparently dishonest tactic in these discussion. No one here is "threatened" by you... they just find your claims to be baseless unsubstantiated nonsense and want to know if you can back them up at all. No more. No less.

The biggest Strawman of the Theist you mean. Evolution does not claim that any species today turned into any other species today. Yet creationists keep claiming it does.

Why? Because it is easier to attack something they made up than attack the ACTUAL claims of evolution which is that species today share common ancestors. So lizards did not become birds for example. Or birds did not become lizards. But a common ancestor became both birds and lizards.
If we come from the earth than how could people writing the bible even know this. And The Theory of Evolution is often been reported to support the idea that we evolved from lesser species. The point is that it does nothing to address where it all comes from. Something creationism does.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Just some evidence. You know evidence which atheists base everything on.
That is pretty easy use the search function and type in EVOLUTION. There are a plethora of threads where this has been discussed ad nausium. But I suggest you first look up the difference between scientific theory vs. the layman's definition of theory before you come up with "its only a theory" waffle and while you are at it look up what constitutes an hypothesis. Creationism is neither a hypothesis nor a theory, it is a belief.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
That is pretty easy use the search function and type in EVOLUTION. There are a plethora of threads where this has been discussed ad nausium. But I suggest you first look up the difference between scientific theory vs. the layman's definition of theory before you come up with "its only a theory" waffle and while you are at it look up what constitutes an hypothesis. Creationism is neither a hypothesis nor a theory, it is a belief.
Who cares if it's a belief. It's hypocritical for a group, like atheists to scream for evidence which they cannot supply themselves. But they support this theory as truth. Evidence does not equal Proof.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
If we come from the earth than how could people writing the bible even know this. And The Theory of Evolution is often been reported to support the idea that we evolved from lesser species. The point is that it does nothing to address where it all comes from. Something creationism does.
Wrong you are conflating abiogenesis (origins) with the ToE. Creationism does not address origins as the concept infers young earth if you take the bible literally and there are oodles of evidence for old earth that even theists agree are irrefutable. Furthermore, much of the biblical stories are borrowed from other myths including your creation story and the fludd that never happened. All of it is a search function away on this forum.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Who cares if it's a belief. It's hypocritical for a group, like atheists to scream for evidence which they cannot supply themselves. But they support this theory as truth. Evidence does not equal Proof.
That has to be the single dumbest thing I have ever read here

keep it up, the entertainment value is priceless

Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That has to be the single dumbest thing I have ever read here

keep it up, the entertainment value is priceless
English 101:

prove (prv)
v. proved, proved or prov·en (prvn), prov·ing, proves
v.tr. 1. To establish the truth or validity of by presentation of argument or evidence.

ev·i·dence (v-dns) n. 1. A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment: The broken window was evidence that a burglary had taken place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality