Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 AM

268 posts, read 275,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
That could be an interesting discussion.
I once went to visit Israel and stayed there for 3 months... I got to meet a Jew and he was converted to their Messiah Yeshua because he went to a Christian worship service and felt the presence of the Holy Spirit... then he began to ask question about the Faith and we gave him a Hebrew New testament and he even watch the Passion of the Christ... then he was being persecuted by his family for turning to Christ... He even argues with some Arabs about the faith and defended Jesus.

One day he came running at the place where I was staying and insisted that I baptize him in water... I said why? He just opened the Bible and pointed what he read in Mark 16:16 that those who believed and were baptized will be saved... so, I said let's go to the Jordan River... He declined because he said it was dirty... I said then let's go to Eilat near Egypt, but there was a suicide bomber who killed many... I said what about the beach of Tel Aviv? he consented... but unfortunately the waves and the current were so strong that we might get drowned - so we went and looked for a spa near the beach and surely enough, we found one - and I baptized him in a Jacuzzi and as he went up out of the water and that Spa... he was so joyful and was jumping like a kid... He was 42 years old then. I said to myself... Oh no... Jews are beginning to accept their Messiah... the time of the gentiles are getting short... Hope many more will accept Christ and receive the benefit of His death... He is the Lamb of GOD that took away the sin of the world... but one will not get the benefit automatically... one has to believe in Him and receive Him as his or her LORD and Savior... as that Jew who found his Messiah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Am I just a rancid ol' skeptic or does that story ring as true as a lead bell to others as it does to me?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM

584 posts, read 597,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I am pleased to see that, after a rather stormy start our exchanges have become a bit more open.
As am I. Shalom, my friend ...

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM

When I was at my plane returning home from Israel... I was thinking of Shimon (the Jewish convert), and I was a bit worried about his situation as he was converted from being a drug-addict for 20 years... I was afraid that if no one would disciple or feed him spiritually, he might regress back to his old ways... so I prayed to the LORD to disciple him... then... a week after I got back from Israel - I received a call from one of the believers from the Holy Land and brought me the news that... Shimon was taken to be with the LORD... My heart had mixed feelings... as I would miss him, yet - I was also rejoicing because I was able to lead him to his Messiah and was baptized before he died.

Truly, those who are in Christ have this blessed hope of having eternal life - because Christ had died in their place...

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Ok, I'm willing to give you benefit of doubt - your story is Kosher, even if Shimon isn't. now.

But is it on - topic?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Ok, I'm willing to give you benefit of doubt - your story is Kosher, even if Shimon isn't. now.

But is it on - topic?

Yes, of course... it is on topic, because Shimon is one of the reasons why Jesus Christ was killed... rather the Messiah offered his life as a ransom... first for the Jews and afterwards the non-Jewish too... Shimon did not let the death of His Messiah be in vain... Bless his soul

Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 AM

satan and the rulers of this world killed Christ but to their Loss... the process of redemption was likened unto a Chess game... everyone took their moves in the death of Christ - yet in GOD's sovereignty He was in control and He placed (not a Queen sacrifice) a King sacrifice and the spiritual enemies took the bait and they were checked mate.

1Co 2:8 “None of the rulers of this world knew this wisdom. If they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.” Isa14:13-14; Gen 3:15; Luk 22:3

Luk 22:3 Then Satan entered into Judas, called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post
satan and the rulers of this world killed Christ but to their Loss... the process of redemption was likened unto a Chess game... everyone took their moves in the death of Christ - yet in GOD's sovereignty He was in control and He placed (not a Queen sacrifice) a King sacrifice and the spiritual enemies took the bait and they were checked mate.

1Co 2:8 “None of the rulers of this world knew this wisdom. If they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.” Isa14:13-14; Gen 3:15; Luk 22:3

Luk 22:3 Then Satan entered into Judas, called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples.
That doesn't stack up. Judas knew this wisdom - or should have done - and yet still betrayed Jesus (1) and Pilate evidently saw Jesus' 'wisdom' or at least tried to let him off and even the Sadducees acted in such an irregular fashion about someone who they hardly knew (remember that Jesus' main opponents were the Pharisees) that it is hard to deny the suspicion that Satan had to enter into them, too. Even if not, if they had decided that Jesus was a jolly good fellow or at least a harmless fool, Satan would have done as he did with Judas: entered into them and got them to 'crucify the Lord of Glory'.

So, if the apostles or followers who wrote the gospels knew that, why on earth would Paul - who got his story from the disciples, of course - suppose that, if they had or had not known 'His wisdom' they could have done anything other than what they did?

Bear in mind that God intended that this should be done; or however else could the New covenant be established? Satan was effectively acting as God's agent (and not for the first time). You can probably see where this is going. Paul either did not know what he was taking about or the gospel -writers did not.

God either killed his Son, or arranged for His (which of course means god His own) execution and one which lasted only a couple of hours (see Luke 24.43) and was evidently not a great physical problem for Him as he was able to make his family arrangements while on the nails, or (as Paul suggests) the Romans killed him and that is a matter I already discussed - the High Priest, even if I buy it that he bullied Pilate into killing Jesus, is not 'the Jews' - he was the appointee of Rome.

Over to you.

(1) I am of course going with the story as given even though I have serious doubts about its truthfulness .

Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Am I just a rancid ol' skeptic or does that story ring as true as a lead bell to others as it does to me?
Let's put it this way: you're not a rancid ol' skeptic!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
To the OP:
You have to prove that he existed to begin with.

Then you can look at other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality