Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,682 times

Advertisements

This may be sort of long... sorry. now before i start, i don't apply this philosophy to my daily living, i am more trying to understand the person on the other side of the fence. this is only an idea i had, not preaching against religion; think of it as more of a question.

anyhow, i notice that when people ask "how can an all loving god allow evil to exist?"

they reply is usually something along the lines of "well, without evil, one wouldn't know what good really is (if all you ate was cake, you wouldn't really appreciate cake as much as someone who only ate onions)"

so then this lead me to ask....

could good even exist without evil? or rather, does the existence of good depend on the existence of evil and vice versa?

as i thought about this i kind of got to a fork in the road. fork A) if they are reliant on each other, neither is superior to the other (which would change our expected representations of god and the devil and all that ensues) and one will lead to the other from time to time. if they are not i look towards path B) which leads me to believe that the necessity of evil to contrast and therefore understand and appreciate good is more of a convenient excise than an answer.

so keep in mind that i am no philosopher, and i am sure that my reasoning could have a few holes in it. and again, this is more of a question than an assertion of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Good and evil are relative terms, only labels without definitions. What is good to one person, may be evil to another.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:41 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Good and evil are relative terms, only labels without definitions. What is good to one person, may be evil to another.
well. that is the way i see it myself, although there are some things that are "evil" without a doubt (rape, murder, you know the usual). but yeah, i am a gray area type of guy.

mostly i was trying to get to the bottom of this by the terms and definitions of the people who apply this.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
This may be sort of long... sorry. now before i start, i don't apply this philosophy to my daily living, i am more trying to understand the person on the other side of the fence. this is only an idea i had, not preaching against religion; think of it as more of a question.

anyhow, i notice that when people ask "how can an all loving god allow evil to exist?"

they reply is usually something along the lines of "well, without evil, one wouldn't know what good really is (if all you ate was cake, you wouldn't really appreciate cake as much as someone who only ate onions)"

so then this lead me to ask....

could good even exist without evil? or rather, does the existence of good depend on the existence of evil and vice versa?

as i thought about this i kind of got to a fork in the road. fork A) if they are reliant on each other, neither is superior to the other (which would change our expected representations of god and the devil and all that ensues) and one will lead to the other from time to time. if they are not i look towards path B) which leads me to believe that the necessity of evil to contrast and therefore understand and appreciate good is more of a convenient excise than an answer.

so keep in mind that i am no philosopher, and i am sure that my reasoning could have a few holes in it. and again, this is more of a question than an assertion of fact.

evil is nothing more than the absence of good

Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM

348 posts, read 502,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Isn't this a bit like saying that the default setting of the universe is darkness, which is only penetrated occasionally by light? If it is, your argument is flawed by analogy, because your world is basically bad, unless good intervenes. Likewise human beings.

Is this really the way god created things? Anyway, good and evil are human concepts, and as such are meaningless in Universal terms.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
How come? Why wouldn't an absence of good just be...neutral?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
How come? Why wouldn't an absence of good just be...neutral?
Hey Jez, good to see you back. Because there is no middle ground here. You must make a choice, if you sit on the fence, you'll fall off on the wrong side every time.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,851 times
Without one a person would have no idea of the other

Old 10-17-2021, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 624 times
Just think of it this way. You literally would have no idea what good is until you've seen what bad is. And you have no idea what bad is until you've seen it. Although ultimately good and bad is just a philisophical thing that varies between people, there is always the universally agreed upon things, such as rape or murder being bad. In one way or another, good can't exist without bad and vice versa, simply because you don't have anything to compare it too. Just like when you complain about something you've never tried before, you simply don't have any true imput because you yourself have never tried it before.

Ultimately it comes down to the variation of good and bad. Like, allergies. Prescribed Medicine could be good for someone, while bad for some people. Or a job, like working at a office all day. To some, this is bad, because they simply find working in a office all day to be very unfulfilling.

The lack of one or the other automatically makes a paradox. You wouldn't know about either until you've experienced both, and sometimes it comes down to the variation of people, and sometimes, theres a universal agreement.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:06 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
God put evil in the earth and limited evil in the earth, as a challenge for His people who follow him, as God's blessing will protect His people, ..... As for the people who are not of God and will not follow Him God uses evil to lean people against wicked leaders who are evil .... so if nothing working for a leader then God is not helping that leader, and this leader is lead by him self with the devil which would be a kind of wrath of God against evil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality