Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,488,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I believe that God = Love and recently I’ve come to the realisation that love in general does not need a religion.
Love cannot be commanded and does not ask anything in return. Love is freely given, not asked for.
I mean love is not a question of faith, love is a fact. You either love someone or not.
So if love truly does not need a religion, what do we need religion for?
I agree, love is not a question of faith, it is freely given to us by God and is part of Him that is within all of us. IMO, love does not need religion. Religions were made by man and came from disagreements, egoism, and sadly by the "thin line" between love and hate. What is the thin line? The thin line is the "choice"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 AM

7,994 posts, read 12,261,676 times
Default Love needs a source

I cannot honestly say "where" love "originates" from...

There are those who would say that love resides within the heart. I am also aware of those who feel that it originates in our brains. Then again, there are those who would attribute "love" to being god given; god sent...

In an odd sense, I suspect that all of the three above interpretations are valid, as none can either be fully proven, or disproved. But as someone who relies greatly on the knowledge that the human heart can possess, I have to wonder about both the internal as well as external aspects to "love." There seems to exist some inherent paradox to love: In order to love, I must be able to fully connect with myself, within my self. And yet, it would apply that I am most capable of doing so when loved by another...

That which is most fully and intensely felt and experienced possesses a power all it's own. There's a mystery in that intensity, such that even we nonbelievers have been known to "borrow" such jargon as the "soul." Perhaps that is due to the fact that there is an implicit beauty in the notion of...

Being fully known...

Take gentle care.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,379,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

There are those who would say that love resides within the heart.

In an odd sense, I suspect that all of the three above interpretations are valid, as none can either be fully proven, or disproved.
I don't mean to "shred apart" your words here, but are you saying that you think the heart may somehow generate emotional feelings?

I'm not heavily into biology, but I thought that the scientific community accepts as a rule that all emotions come from the brain.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,488,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I don't mean to "shred apart" your words here, but are you saying that you think the heart may somehow generate emotional feelings?

I'm not heavily into biology, but I thought that the scientific community accepts as a rule that all emotions come from the brain.
I am not heavily into biology either , but I did learn that emotioms change the way the heart reacts.. speed up, slow down, skip. Stop.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,379,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I am not heavily into biology either , but I did learn that emotioms change the way the heart reacts.. speed up, slow down, skip. Stop.
I think all or most organs can be effected by emotions, but do any besides the brain actually generate them? I don't think so, but I was wondering if June has other ideas.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,881,393 times
I can't imagine religion without love or love without religion, but that is from my viewpoint. My religion is all about love, so I can't seperate the two!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM

7,994 posts, read 12,261,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

I am saying that we are all very complex, multi-dimensional in nature.

I agree with you that the scientific community does accept that human emotions originate from/are dependent upon the brain.

I guess June is someone who is simply akin in dealing with human emotion no matter where it ultimately stems from...

Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,220,825 times
Whether we feel emotions with our brain or with our heart is irrelevant.
A brain without a heart is useless and so is a heart without a brain.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:18 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,164,969 times
I think we tend to call the heart the vessel of the emotions, when in reality, we know better. It's just a muscle that can even be replaced. We're heart sick, we can become broken hearted, we have heart aches, heart throbs, and on and on. Cupid even shoots his arrow into our heart when the right person comes along.

We know better. Perhaps, those heart feelings are sort of things of the soul or spirit rather than the intellectual thoughts of the brain. And where does that soul resides? I am sure that I don't know. But thinking it's home is the heart is as good as anywhere.

Our emotions, if we could ever nail them down....WOW!... come from how we were raised, old memories, new memories, egos, thought processes, mistakes, regrets, poor judgement, ignorance, guilt and shame, just to name a few of the things that give birth to emotions.

Emotions make interesting people. Someone without any is rather cold and dismal IMHO.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,364,722 times
It's going to be hard to discuss this when someone tries to take a metaphor as a literal statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality