Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Quote:
Honestly Tricky D, I remember this coming up a long time back and I still don't fully understand how someone can 'convert' to Judaism.
Because I don't believe that Jesus ever was a Christian himself, so he must be a Messianic Jew.
I also don't think that Jesus ever wanted to found a separate Christian church, but that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM

740 posts, read 2,013,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Because I don't believe that Jesus ever was a Christian himself, so he must be a Messianic Jew.
I also don't think that Jesus ever wanted to found a separate Christian church, but that is just my opinion.
Mt 16:18 - "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

Jesus speaking. I would say that it was His intent to start a new church.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Mt 16:18 - "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

Jesus speaking. I would say that it was His intent to start a new church.
Is it possible he meant that as "new place of worship," rather than a whole new religion? Just a thought...

Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM

build - oiÎkodomeÑw 3619
metaph. --to found, establish

Last edited by ibcwife; 10-16-2007 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Is it possible he meant that as "new place of worship," rather than a whole new religion? Just a thought...
LOL Giz but if He meant that wouldn't He literally be saying I'm going to build a building ON Peter?

just askin.....

Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Jesus was a Jew. The name Christian came later as people saw others who were followers of Christ, and to mock them they called them Christiani “little Christ" which the term Christian came from. So... they didn't call themselves Christians as we do today, others saw their actions and said "They are acting like little Christ". Which we could all take a lesson from. Would the people that you know in daily life call you a Christian by your actions? Or is it a name which you have taken upon yourself with no outword sign of an inward change?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Was it not Jesus himself who called his body a temple?
Is a rock not a foundation?
Should God or Love not be the foundation of Jesus' teachings?
Is Jesus not essentially saying that he builds on people who follow God instead of stone houses, or churches, temples or any other physical place of worship?
Did Jesus not also preached in the open air?
Has Jesus ever asked money to build a church?
Do followers of Jesus *really* need a church to practise what they believe?
Did Jesus not travel to the people instead of waiting for people to come to him (inside a temple or other place of worship)?

Originally Posted by ibcwife
Quote:
Would the people that you know in daily life call you a Christian by your actions? Or is it a name which you have taken upon yourself with no outword sign of an inward change?
I do not call myself a Christian, others do because they know I have been baptised as a baby in a Protestant church.
I call myself a follower of Jesus.
I do not know if Jesus is the messiah and to be honest I do not care if he is or if he isn't. Simply because I do not believe in an after life. But that doesn't mean that I cannot learn from Jesus.
To me Jesus is a man of action who practised what he preached.
Just like Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr to whom Jesus also was a shining example.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 PM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times
Default Thanks for the replies....

Hello everyone, I just want to thank everyone who has shared on this thread. I have been really busy, and havn't been able to follow it like I would like too. Still, just reading responses on this and some of the other threads has surely increased my knowledge some.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 PM

264 posts, read 694,759 times
I once heard a priest describe the OT as "the history of a nation." This, no doubt, is an accurate description, but most of those who profess Christianity do not belong to that nation, nor do they trace their ancestry to it. The OT necessarily has less relevance for the Christian than the NT does.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
I once heard a priest describe the OT as "the history of a nation." This, no doubt, is an accurate description, but most of those who profess Christianity do not belong to that nation, nor do they trace their ancestry to it. The OT necessarily has less relevance for the Christian than the NT does.
Respectfully disagree. I think OT has just as much relevance as NT. You can't explain one without the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality