Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,648,166 times

Advertisements

some of us here have been unemployed for quite some time and some of us here have said that the lord has provided us with what we need to get by. i really dont see how it is possible for the lord to pay our bills (?) if that is what some of us mean. i really dont understand at all. please please explain please?! (im not trying to start an argument. i just dont understand how god or jesus is able to pay our bills if we are unemployed)
which means (obviously) (at least i think so) that the lord is not actually paying your bills so how do you pay your bills and what EXACTLY is the lord providing in order for you to manage? please please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
For what its worth, it is also said that: The Lord helps those who help themselves.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,888 times
he invented things such as social security and welfare

Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM

thank you tricky d but i really want to know about the being unemployed and providing part.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,925 times
Quote:
For what its worth, it is also said that: The Lord helps those who help themselves.
Actually, that quote is nowhere in Scripture although a lot of folks think it is.

When we state that the Lord provides, it means that somehow, someway, He provides the means for us to take care of matters such as finances, everyday necessities etc. I have heard many stories of people who were out of work or in dire straits and from out of nowhere, the means to take care of matters materializes. Sometimes, it comes in the form of money or clothes or whatever necessities are needed. A very humble lady in our church was in dire need of a vehicle but no more than a few people knew about because she didn't want others to feel sorry for her. She was trying to raise 3 teenage boys on one income here in NYC so it was difficult for her at best. One day she testified in church that recently, she received several envelopes, all with enough money to afford her a used car. Where did the money come from? No one knows because that was the first the parishoners had heard of it.

Incredulous as it sounds, this happens quite often. I know it's hard to believe and I understand their skepticism but I know of quite a few folks who have been touched in the same way. Anyway, I hope that helps a little. I can't explain it but I just know it happens. Take care.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,790,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
some of us here have been unemployed for quite some time and some of us here have said that the lord has provided us with what we need to get by. i really dont see how it is possible for the lord to pay our bills (?) if that is what some of us mean. i really dont understand at all. please please explain please?! (im not trying to start an argument. i just dont understand how god or jesus is able to pay our bills if we are unemployed)
which means (obviously) (at least i think so) that the lord is not actually paying your bills so how do you pay your bills and what EXACTLY is the lord providing in order for you to manage? please please let me know.
nicolepsy,
I hear you...and I feel your pain. However, I am a firm believer that the "Lord will provide". I also stand firm on the fact that the "Lord will not give me more than I can handle". Like urbanlemur, I could repeat stories of unbelievable circumstances. Nothing 'unreal' has happened to me as of yet, but I will certainly let you know if I win the lottery (especially since I don't play).

I believe that we must be pro-active in our life. "Knock and the door shall be opened". "Ask and you shall receive". We must also remember that God has promised to provide our 'needs', not our wants. My husband and I have had to tighten our purse-strings recently. This meant giving up "Dish" TV, eating out, renting movies, baby-sitters and datenights. I am afraid that Christmas will be a little slim this year. But I have a roof over my head, my children are healthy, and we have food on the table. I have had to step back and re-evaluate my priorities. But it has also sparked my creative side. My tree is filling up with ornaments that the children are making. I have also bought white card stock and the kids are hand making cards. We are enjoying a lot of 'family' time...and somehow, God is providing.

I will pray for you to find a job and that the Lord will keep you close.

May we all be blessed...

Weather...

Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,925 times
I can completely concur with weatherologist on this. I have been unemployed for 9 months but the Lord has provided for my wife and I through it all. We may not have the things we would like to but we certainly have what we need. And in a world where many don't even have what they need, we feel extremely blessed for what we do have.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Philippians 4:19 "And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches which have been given to us in Christ Jesus".
I can trust that God will always meet my needs because I am His child, I know Him, I have a relationship with Him. This does not mean my WANTS, but my NEEDS. The Lord allowed me to loose my job, but I know He is faithful and will supply ALL my needs just like He said. This does not mean I can just sit home and say God will pay the bills, but I do not worry about money because I trust the Lord and He has never failed me.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

but what about the people that lose their house and such? what if they believed what you believe and still the lord didnt provide what they needed?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
but what about the people that lose their house and such? what if they believed what you believe and still the lord didnt provide what they needed?
He said He will always provide our needs and He does not lie. He always provides us with what we need, but we don't always want what we need. Sometimes what we need is the grace to accept what we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality