Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Abraham was told to make Isaac a priest.
Jephthah promised to make his daughter a nun.

nobody was ever ordered to kill their son or daughter
Actually, Abraham WAS told to kill Abraham. And he trusted God so much that he thought he'd resurrect him.

But there isn't a person on this web site that can claim they have a higher standard of morality than God. God is the definition of morality...since he made us all and everything in the universe...and the universe itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Your question amounts to asking if I found a square circle would I conclude that circles dont have to be round or would I conclude that reason and logic dont always apply to the real world.
The answer is that I would simply conclude that its not a circle but a square.

God would not order anyone to do such a thing.
How is it any different than ordering a man to kill his son? Which three major religions agree is what happened (the only debate is to the identity of the child ordered sacrifice: not all scholars agree it was Issac.)

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,568 times
How is what different?

My point was that its not different.
hence:
Quote:
Your question amounts to asking

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 AM

The only reason God would ever order such a thing would be to prevent something even worse from happening
but that would take an extremely bizarre and unlikely set of circumstances
and God would tell you why it needed to be done.

So I'm not going to so its impossible but really the whole question is bizarre and pointless

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
The only reason God would ever order such a thing would be to prevent something even worse from happening
but that would take an extremely bizarre and unlikely set of circumstances
and God would tell you why it needed to be done.

So I'm not going to so its impossible but really the whole question is bizarre and pointless
God didn't order Abraham to kill Issac to prevent something worse from happening. It was a test of faith.

Furthermore, there have been people who killed strangers or their own family members precisely because they heard 'God' tell them to do so in order to prevent something 'worse'. Either because the victim was a 'demon', or to actually protect that person.

If Issac were alive today and dragged his child off to be sacrificed because God told him to do so, everyone would label him mentally ill. Indeed, Abraham left his men behind to do the deed probably for the same reason...they would have been horrified and likely would have tried to stop him. So how do we know the above murderers weren't hearing the voice of the true God? And that God wasn't tell them to kill in order to 'prevent something worse?'

Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 AM

God didn't order Abraham to kill Isaac
God ordeded Abraham to make Isaac a priest

Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 AM

BTW, how many children do you suppose were killed when we dropped the bomb on japan?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
God didn't order Abraham to kill Isaac
God ordeded Abraham to make Isaac a priest
Where's your backing for this?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 AM

common sense

Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
common sense
That no one else agrees with? Not a single religious scholar? I wouldn't call it common then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality