Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
This is an interesting thread, and after reading all three pages I've reached the conclusion that it shares something in common with the "outer world": A few bad apples in every flat. But, of course, there are significant differences and people can't understand it because their way of life is so out of my grasp.

As one poster profoundly explained, horses are rendered as necessary "tools" for their bread 'n' butter instead of recreation (racing) or pets. Dogs are likely used as functions in dairy farms as well.

I do have questions for the OP, though:

Is "fun" enjoyed in the Amish community at all? Do they have socials or festivals?
I'm not the OP, but I'll bite anyway. You can bet your biffy the Amish like to have a good time. They love to play baseball and volleyball, and most of the ones I know have a pretty keen (and surprisingly off-center) sense of humor. Their level of isolation varies between communities, but at least in our area once you get to know the Amish folks you have a tendency to forget that they're Amish.

Quote:
Also, doesn't shunning of the youth only occur when the boy or girl has made a decision to leave the community? As I've understood it, when they reach a certain age (18?), they are allowed to experience "the outside" in order to make a choice. This is a prequel to baptism. Once the choice has been made to baptize and remain in the community, expectations of loyalty commence and there's no going back. Is this not correct?
Your first question and following statement seem to contradict each other so I'm wondering if you've mistyped something. If a young person chooses to leave the community before baptism they aren't shunned, and they can still maintain communication with their loved ones without anyone getting in trouble. Once they've chosen to be baptized and join the community they've made a lifelong commitment. Most transgressions can be forgiven if the elders feel the person is truly repentant, but if someone chooses to live outside the rules after baptism they are shunned and totally cut off from the community. And again, because there is no central Amish authority the specifics may vary between congregations.

Oh, and rumspringa usually starts at 16.

Quote:
I agree with the Amish way of baptizing later.
I do as well, it seems correct based on what I know of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm not the OP, but I'll bite anyway. You can bet your biffy the Amish like to have a good time. They love to play baseball and volleyball, and most of the ones I know have a pretty keen (and surprisingly off-center) sense of humor. Their level of isolation varies between communities, but at least in our area once you get to know the Amish folks you have a tendency to forget that they're Amish.

Your first question and following statement seem to contradict each other so I'm wondering if you've mistyped something. If a young person chooses to leave the community before baptism they aren't shunned, and they can still maintain communication with their loved ones without anyone getting in trouble. Once they've chosen to be baptized and join the community they've made a lifelong commitment. Most transgressions can be forgiven if the elders feel the person is truly repentant, but if someone chooses to live outside the rules after baptism they are shunned and totally cut off from the community. And again, because there is no central Amish authority the specifics may vary between congregations.

Oh, and rumspringa usually starts at 16.

I do as well, it seems correct based on what I know of the Bible.
I must have repped you recently because "it" won't let me do it now. Thank you. I wanted clarification based on a few postings that didn't sound right to me.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I noticed a group of Amish yesterday in their buggy......just yakking away on their cell phone.

I have drilled a few water wells for Amish folks.......I noticed their homes have a strong smell of kerosene.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I noticed a group of Amish yesterday in their buggy......just yakking away on their cell phone.

I have drilled a few water wells for Amish folks.......I noticed their homes have a strong smell of kerosene.
Both very common in my experience. Although many in our area are going to propane lighting these days rather than kerosene, and some use battery powered lights and a solar charger. Because we live in an area with a lot of timber most houses are heated with wood, but some of the shops heat with kerosene so they can warm up faster in the morning and kill the heat as soon as they leave, so you do still get that kerosene smell in those places.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
As the Amish population in the US grows – forecast to hit 1 million by 2050 – the decline of farmland is forcing the community to spread to new areas and to evolve its agrarian culture.

For Amish, fastest-growing faith group in US, life is changing - Yahoo! News
That really surprises me cause I have read two or three articles about the young Amish adults actually leaving the faith. I wonder which is true or if they both have some truths and some not so truths to their claims. I have heard the same claims about the Mormon church.

Nita

Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That really surprises me cause I have read two or three articles about the young Amish adults actually leaving the faith. I wonder which is true or if they both have some truths and some not so truths to their claims. I have heard the same claims about the Mormon church.

Nita
Most Amish families have 6-8 kids (or more), so by simple mathematical process we can determine that there is potential for growth even if a majority of young people leave the Amish way of life.

In other words, if 2 people produce 8 children and 5 leave the faith, that leaves 3 to carry on which means the population of the next generation will increase by 50% even with 62.5% of that generation going to hell. I mean, going English.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Most Amish families have 6-8 kids (or more), so by simple mathematical process we can determine that there is potential for growth even if a majority of young people leave the Amish way of life.

In other words, if 2 people produce 8 children and 5 leave the faith, that leaves 3 to carry on which means the population of the next generation will increase by 50% even with 62.5% of that generation going to hell. I mean, going English.
Ok, I am a little better at math than I am at spelling, but thanks for the lesson on multiplication.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
i will not say any bad about the amish in my area of nys we just had massive flash flooding on 6-28-13 and for over a week every day but sunday they were in town helping in the clean up. efforts and offered to help people fix their homes free of charge. so you can not down them here. they even helped people who they know hate them. for free that got in to town that day as soon as they could to lend a hand.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
There are many types of Amish. Some are more strict than others. Some are more liberal. Not all Amish shun. The Amish I know do talk about the dead. Not all run puppy mills. There are Amish who are tremendously sensitive and loving to their animals and would no more run a puppy mill than a gin bar.

I have Amish relatives. There are good among the Amish and bad. (Just like any other group of people.) The do like to have a good time, they enjoy getting together to socialize, but after the chores and work are done. They get joy from their flower gardens. They also get joy from cleaning a floor perfectly for the Glory of God. Kids roller skate and ride bikes. They are expanding to new parts of the country because they do have large families and need more land for farming. Farming and God are at the heart of being Amish. Personally I think we can learn a lot from them and their love for the land and for God. I've had the honor of visiting Amish relatives, learning how they live and applying parts of it to my own life which has brought me great peace.

There are a number of books on the Amish that explain many things about how the different sects live and what they believe.

If you run across Baby Swiss Cheese from Holmes County, Ohio.... you're in for a treat. Yummy!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Hmmm…I wonder why they do some of the things they do…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality