Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Do you think such a dramatic shift of the Earth's rotation would occur suddenly? Or gradually? That's what would have to happen for the sun to rise in the west. The Earth's rotation would have to reverse its direction. I'll stand with my statement, "...doomsday would be over the moment it began."
Actually, if the earth's axis tilts 180 degrees it will have the same effect without the earth reversing rotation.

There is at least one theory that the earth does go through periodic 360 degree shifts. We are now tilted about 24 degrees, the tilt slowly increases. If that continues the north pole will eventually be were the south pole is now and from that perspectivethe sun will be rising in the west.

Quote:
Perhaps the 4° rule has more going for it than just being easier to apply than the scientific formula!
The 4° rule implies that just over 430,000 years ago the tilt was 90° and the earth was lying on its side with its axis in the plane of the ecliptic; at this time the tropics were at the poles and the 'polar' circles were at the equator. In just over 150,000 years, the tilt will reach 0°, and the earth's axis will be perpendicular to the ecliptic; the tropics will then coincide with the equator and the polar circles will be at the poles.
H.P. Blavatsky states in the quotation at the head of this section that the earth's axis undergoes a secular – i.e. gradual and progressive – change. This implies that when the poles become perpendicular to the ecliptic the change in the inclination of the axis continues in the same direction, and that the earth's axis inverts a full 360° in a period of about 2,340,000 years.
G. de Purucker, too, states that there is a secular change in the inclination of a globe's axis, and implies that it slowly shifts through a full 360° in a period of several million years:
SOURCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
when the sun rise from the west.
then the countdown for the doomsday start.
Do you have a date for that please? We've just been disappointed by the last doomsday, so please be as precise about the date as possible. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Actually, if the earth's axis tilts 180 degrees it will have the same effect without the earth reversing rotation.

There is at least one theory that the earth does go through periodic 360 degree shifts. We are now tilted about 24 degrees, the tilt slowly increases. If that continues the north pole will eventually be were the south pole is now and from that perspectivethe sun will be rising in the west.

SOURCE
The entire earth doesn't go through these periodic 180 degree shifts, it's just its polarity that flips. That is not some new explanation, it has been mapped for years. If you were a compass, you would notice it, otherwise, not so much.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:

SOURCE
Thanks for the input Woodrow. For the sake of speculation, sure, point taken, but how realistic is it? Who's theory is it that suggests the Earth goes through periodic 360-degree shifts? According to the page link you posted, at least part of it can be attributed back to Helena Blavatsky (More about her to follow). So if the scenario you cite is to be considered, which direction would the poles lean as it shifts? In the direction of the sun? Or in the direction of the Earth's orbital path around the sun?

While it's possible the Earth may have had such extreme shifts in all sorts of directions in its distant past, that would have occured before the formation of the moon, when there would have been no life on the hot, molten, fledgling Earth, or at least none more likely than primative bacterial life forms. Bringing us back up to the present time, there is a possible exception. If a planet-sized body collided with the Earth, it is conceivable that the rotation of the Earth could be pretty chaotic. However, common sense should indicate that there would be no one alive to observe the sun rising in the west as truth_teller suggests. The Earth, as compared to now, would essentially be a dead planet. Depending on the trajectory and the speed of the colliding object, the Earth could become nothing more than rocky fragments. No people. No plants or animals. Just an orbiting field of rubble.

Unfortunately, your supportive link primarily deals with Theosophy. That's neither realistic nor is it scientific. I have to be honest. The website is pretty vague and off-the-wall. A look at the table of contents give a good idea as to the subjects. While it may offer an explanation, do you seriously believe it provides a realistic and valid explanation?

The website's table of contents starts out with Helena Blavatsky, who is described as a Russian mystic and a co-founder of the Theosophical Society in 1875. Blavatsky was interested with the occult. The New Age Movement (you know, pyramid power, Age of Aquarius, ghost hunting, Mayan Calendar Doomsday, etc.) appears to be based on much of Blavatsky's ideas.
Theosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Helena Blavatsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the thing, at least in response to questions I asked in reply to truth_teller's post, do you think such an event of the sun rising in the west and seen by people would likely be a rapid or gradual process?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Do you have a date for that please? We've just been disappointed by the last doomsday, so please be as precise about the date as possible. Thank you.
I don't know if the word "disappointed" is the best descriptor. Is that the same thing as being scared ____less?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input Woodrow. For the sake of speculation, sure, point taken, but how realistic is it? Who's theory is it that suggests the Earth goes through periodic 360-degree shifts? According to the page link you posted, at least part of it can be attributed back to Helena Blavatsky (More about her to follow). So if the scenario you cite is to be considered, which direction would the poles lean as it shifts? In the direction of the sun? Or in the direction of the Earth's orbital path around the sun?

While it's possible the Earth may have had such extreme shifts in all sorts of directions in its distant past, that would have occured before the formation of the moon, when there would have been no life on the hot, molten, fledgling Earth, or at least none more likely than primative bacterial life forms. Bringing us back up to the present time, there is a possible exception. If a planet-sized body collided with the Earth, it is conceivable that the rotation of the Earth could be pretty chaotic. However, common sense should indicate that there would be no one alive to observe the sun rising in the west as truth_teller suggests. The Earth, as compared to now, would essentially be a dead planet. Depending on the trajectory and the speed of the colliding object, the Earth could become nothing more than rocky fragments. No people. No plants or animals. Just an orbiting field of rubble.

Unfortunately, your supportive link primarily deals with Theosophy. That's neither realistic nor is it scientific. I have to be honest. The website is pretty vague and off-the-wall. A look at the table of contents give a good idea as to the subjects. While it may offer an explanation, do you seriously believe it provides a realistic and valid explanation?

The website's table of contents starts out with Helena Blavatsky, who is described as a Russian mystic and a co-founder of the Theosophical Society in 1875. Blavatsky was interested with the occult. The New Age Movement (you know, pyramid power, Age of Aquarius, ghost hunting, Mayan Calendar Doomsday, etc.) appears to be based on much of Blavatsky's ideas.
Theosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Helena Blavatsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the thing, at least in response to questions I asked in reply to truth_teller's post, do you think such an event of the sun rising in the west and seen by people would likely be a rapid or gradual process?
As we do not know when that will happen. Any speculation is useless. But just my opinion if it happens by means of a 180 degree inversion of the earth, it would have to happen very rapid otherwise we could calculate the date we would see the sun rise in the west.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
As we do not know when that will happen. Any speculation is useless. But just my opinion if it happens by means of a 180 degree inversion of the earth, it would have to happen very rapid otherwise we could calculate the date we would see the sun rise in the west.
Thanks Woodrow. I definitely woulldn't put any credibility into theosophy or Helena Blavatsky's ramblings. I can see it can be easy to be swayed by mumbo-jumbo. LOL! There's a really big problem with the scenario of a rapid change of the Earth's position, that is that the Earth would rapidly roll 180 degrees. Here are some facts to take into account.

The rotation of the Earth at the equator is a little over 1000 mph. It takes 24 hours to make one rotation. That means in a stationary position, we're moving at the same speed as the Earth's rotation, which is 1000 mph. If the Earth made a sudden change in position, flips upside down, the speed of such a switch would obviously be much faster than the rotation of the planet. Just to be clear, such a flip would directionally involve north and south.

Let's say the speed of the shift is about 12,000 mph, the forces on the human body would be beyond catastrophic. During such a rapid change of position, we have an atmosphere to contend with and we'd have inertia to contend with. It'd be like being hit by a 12,000 mph wind. Nothing would survive it. Most, if not all, life would be obliterated by debris of rocks ranging from gigantic boulders to grains of sand, fragments from what used to be buildings, uprooted trees and plants, gigantic tsunamis and the wind that would feel like being crushed by solid concrete. Even if that were not a concern, you'd be turned into less than a stain just from the sheer speed of the shift against the atmosphere. When the shift stops, whatever is left of your remains (a stain) might well be launched into space from the sudden stop. Such a shift, not to mention the rapid stop, would probably fragment and destroy the Earth's crust.

The point is that no one and nothing else would be alive from such a rapid switch to see the sun rise in the west.

Here's a good illustration just to remotely imagine what high speed can do to a person even though this vid is nothing in comparison to what a rapid 180-degree shift in position of the entire planet would be like.

Col John Stapp Takes a Lot of G's - YouTube

Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks Woodrow. I definitely woulldn't put any credibility into theosophy or Helena Blavatsky's ramblings. I can see it can be easy to be swayed by mumbo-jumbo. LOL! There's a really big problem with the scenario of a rapid change of the Earth's position, that is that the Earth would rapidly roll 180 degrees. Here are some facts to take into account.

The rotation of the Earth at the equator is a little over 1000 mph. It takes 24 hours to make one rotation. That means in a stationary position, we're moving at the same speed as the Earth's rotation, which is 1000 mph. If the Earth made a sudden change in position, flips upside down, the speed of such a switch would obviously be much faster than the rotation of the planet. Just to be clear, such a flip would directionally involve north and south.

Let's say the speed of the shift is about 12,000 mph, the forces on the human body would be beyond catastrophic. During such a rapid change of position, we have an atmosphere to contend with and we'd have inertia to contend with. It'd be like being hit by a 12,000 mph wind. Nothing would survive it. Most, if not all, life would be obliterated by debris of rocks ranging from gigantic boulders to grains of sand, fragments from what used to be buildings, uprooted trees and plants, gigantic tsunamis and the wind that would feel like being crushed by solid concrete. Even if that were not a concern, you'd be turned into less than a stain just from the sheer speed of the shift against the atmosphere. When the shift stops, whatever is left of your remains (a stain) might well be launched into space from the sudden stop. Such a shift, not to mention the rapid stop, would probably fragment and destroy the Earth's crust.

The point is that no one and nothing else would be alive from such a rapid switch to see the sun rise in the west.

Here's a good illustration just to remotely imagine what high speed can do to a person even though this vid is nothing in comparison to what a rapid 180-degree shift in position of the entire planet would be like.

Col John Stapp Takes a Lot of G's - YouTube
Well I think we can agree that would end the Earth. While from a scientific view the work of Blavatsky is not scientific and worthless. It is an interesting concept that has been brought up by others. One of the strongest bits of evidence is the finding of fossil tropical plants in Antarctica which suggests a possibility of a major tilt of the earth in the past. But there are also other possibilities such as continental drift, the possibility all the continents being one gigantic continent in the past, that could explain this. But, in any event whatever the cause it was very slow taking millions of years.

Just my opinon that to hold with the Islamic belief that the sun will rise from the west at judgement day, if the means used to cause this is an inversion of the earth it would have to be rapid, otherwise it would be predictable. which would not follow the belief that no man will know the date it is to happen.

Of course the event may involve a cause I am not aware off. And again reading, it does not say the sun will actually rise in the west. it says it will be seen to. Perhaps it could be caused by some form of optical Illusion caused by high altitude atmospheric disturbances. I can remember seeing many strange atmospneric events in the Sahara such as brief times seeing two suns or two sunrises in the same morning. all explained by Reflections from very high level ice clouds.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
I’ve seen the sun rise in the west on several occasions.

I used to enjoy watching two sunsets in the same evening.
But to do that you have to make the sun rise in the west.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I’ve seen the sun rise in the west on several occasions.

I used to enjoy watching two sunsets in the same evening.
But to do that you have to make the sun rise in the west.
I can see that as happening particular if one is at sea or in a vast desert region. It would take a combination of an inversion layer along with High altitude ice clouds. What is seen are reflections of the sun while it is still below the horizon or just at the edge. At least that was the explanation I got for seeing multiple sun rises on the same day while in the Sahara.

The Atmosphere above deserts and oceans produces some very bizarre atmospheric events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality