Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times

Advertisements

So if the Pope is chosen by God, why did he go along with the Nazis in WW2?

(Pope Pius 12)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Popes can be evil and even go to hell, according to Catholics. But he would have been protected from screwing up the teaching of faith and morals - in every other sense he was free to sin like everyone else.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Some popes themselves believed that they were special agents of God and hence could not make mistakes in religious teachings.

For example:

"But since We hold upon this earth the place of God Almighty...." Pope Leo XIII, Praeclara Gratulationis Publicae—The Reunion of Christendom (Rome: 1894).

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM

624 posts, read 1,247,520 times
Where in the Bible does it say that God ordained any religious leader? Jesus is the rock and all who believe are saints. The pope is a human who is a sinner like the rest of us.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Where in the Bible does it say that God ordained any religious leader? Jesus is the rock and all who believe are saints. The pope is a human who is a sinner like the rest of us.
Well that's easy enough. The "rock" passage doesn't leave any question about who Jesus was referring to - it wasn't himself. He said "you".
Quote:
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood,(O) but by my Father in heaven.(P) 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,[b](Q) and on this rock I will build my church,(R) and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys(S) of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.â€(T) - NIV
So you see that Jesus did ordain a person as religious leader of his Church. Note especially the bind/loosen passages - he's giving Peter permission to do things on earth that are counted in heaven.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
weak
I disagree. Maybe not as cool as santa, but the easter bunny is legit in his own right.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 440 times
Default There is but one father and one only

I had many Catholic friends growing up and a few times attended church with them. I was intrigued by the Habits the Nuns wore and the Latin spoken in Mass however I later accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour and was baptized in the Baptist Church. There are several things that the Catholics practice that I do not agree with and never will.....I have read scripture and the Bible strickly tells us that GOD is OUR FATHER and there shall be none before HIM so why do the Catholics call the Priests "Father" ? Also only GOD can forgive sin so why do Catholics go into the confessional box and confess their sins to a Priest and say "Forgive me Father for I have sinned" ? This is called a double standard and i dont agree with this way of worshipping our Lord God.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKAveryW View Post
I had many Catholic friends growing up and a few times attended church with them. I was intrigued by the Habits the Nuns wore and the Latin spoken in Mass however I later accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour and was baptized in the Baptist Church. There are several things that the Catholics practice that I do not agree with and never will.....I have read scripture and the Bible strickly tells us that GOD is OUR FATHER and there shall be none before HIM so why do the Catholics call the Priests "Father" ? Also only GOD can forgive sin so why do Catholics go into the confessional box and confess their sins to a Priest and say "Forgive me Father for I have sinned" ? This is called a double standard and i dont agree with this way of worshipping our Lord God.
Have you ever spent much time researching the answers to those questions. It's quite simple, really.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Does God choose the Pope?

Does God give the Pope magical power, IOW - power of the Holy Spirit?

If this is true, should we worship the Pope as a semi-divine being?
its not true so thats the starting point. If it were true, then we can make up just about anything we want. Like, if the pope is divine, as theist use the word, he talks to unicorns too.

no, the pope isn't divine but we can listen to him and see if what he said sounds healthy, or not.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its not true so thats the starting point. (TOOOOO funnny)
If it were true, then we can make up just about anything we want. Like, if the pope is divine,
as theist use the word, he talks to unicorns too.
no, the pope isn't divine but we can listen to him and see if what he said sounds healthy, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality