Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times

Advertisements

The famous Indian Emperor Ashoka, the first ruler to unite India as one, was well known for his evil deeds. He killed 99 of his brothers, as well as thousands of his enemies. He's often portrayed as a repentant reprobate who converted to Buddhism and then worked only for peace. However, consider the following:

Ashoka was not non-violent after adopting Buddhism, as evident by a couple of incidents mentioned in the 2nd century CE text Ashokavadana. In one instance, a non-Buddhist in Pundravardhana drew a picture showing the Buddha bowing at the feet of Nirgrantha Jnatiputra (identified with Mahavira, the founder of Jainism). On complaint from a Buddhist devotee, Asoka issued an order to arrest him, and subsequently, another order to kill all the Ajivikas in Pundravardhana. Around 18,000 followers of the Ajivika sect were executed as a result of this order.[17][18] Sometime later, another Nirgrantha follower in Pataliputra drew a similar picture. Asoka burnt him and his entire family alive in their house.[18] He also announced an award of one dinara (silver coin) to anyone who brought him the head of a Nirgrantha heretic. According to Ashokavadana, as a result of this order, his own brother was mistaken for a heretic and killed by a cowherd.[17]

Ashoka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(yes it's from wikipedia but you can check out the source)

So apparently Ashoka was not big enough to fully stop his wicked ways. It goes to show that wicked leaders have worshipped different gods/followed different leaders, and Christianity, Islam or Judaism by no means have a monopoly on it.

My point is, we have to acknowledge the atrocities committed by many people of many religions. Christianity itself does not command people to go slaughter the masses, that was the work of the tyrannical Church leaders and other leaders who proclaimed themselves Christians. In the same way, Buddhism was not a religion of violence but one of it's main proponents, Ashoka, clearly was a very violent man who in this case used violence for a religious reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Christianity murdered people. You bible is evil. His religion did not demand people to kill. You are desperate to put something from wikipedia.Anyone can write anything from wikipedia.
Evil Bible
Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches
You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers
A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

([url=http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm]Murder in the Bible[/url]).

Last edited by june 7th; 01-06-2014 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Re-formatted to adhere to copyright.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM

19,743 posts, read 13,275,568 times
I don't judge a religion by one (in this case highly corruptible) follower of the religion, regardless of what the religion is.

I think that religion is, on balance, a Bad Thing, but it is far too nuanced a subject to reduce to maxims and slogans. What matters at the end of the day is what the followers of a religion actually practice. I doubt that most ordinary followers of Christianity commit murder or genocide based on OT references. The main problem I have is that they are vulnerable to be manipulated to either act badly or tolerate others acting badly if they can be made to believe that god requires it -- or that any expressed reservations about "the will of God" will go badly for them.

In religion, authority and dogma nearly always win out over morality and common sense, should religious leaders decide to act contrary to morality and common sense.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,086,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHades View Post
Christianity murdered people. You bible is evil. His religion did not demand people to kill. You are desperate to put something from wikipedia.Anyone can write anything from wikipedia.
Evil Bible
Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches
You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Moderator cut: Orphaned

(Murder in the Bible).
Sigh. It just gets old.

What tells you that the above verses are wrong? The fact that you copied and pasted them tells me you probably couldn't find them in the bible if you had to, much less tell me the context of any of them.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-06-2014 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,297,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What tells you that the above verses are wrong? The fact that you copied and pasted them tells me you probably couldn't find them in the bible if you had to, much less tell me the context of any of them.
The "context" of a Biblical verse is just a euphemism for "And you probably don't even know how I rationalize an immoral act to be perfectly just and good and kind."

Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,471,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sigh. It just gets old.

Why do you bother with this "LordHades" fellow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality