Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times

Advertisements

Could Social Networking Result in the Extinction of Religion? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Quote:
The population of atheist's is increasing each year, this also means fewer children are being indoctrinated with their parent's religious views since less are being taken to church. But those children who are being taken to church have something us adults didn't have when we were young. That of course being social networking and the internet, children with questions about God will not just have their parents or Sunday school teacher to ask, but will have the internet to use to find their answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
I certainly hope so.
Religion is the bane of humanity.
Thru social networking the truth can be spread far and wide.
Intelligent thinking folk with see the error in believing the myths as actual events.
It is the duty of every Atheist to keep pointing this out to them.

Also Euro Christians have to be honest with themselves in asking exactly why they have forsaken myths of the gods and heroes of their ancestors and instead embraced the gods and heroes of the Jews.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I certainly hope so.
Nonsense.
The herd/cult mentality is the real danger, not one individual's theist, or atheist ideas.

Quote:
lol Truth?
What "truth"?
Any time anybody speaks of "the truth" - I wonder what herd they have taken "the truth" from.

Truth is that which causes influence, even if the thought is illusional (ie placebo effect).

Quote:
Intelligent thinking folk with see the error in believing the myths as actual events.
Without any imagination, or belief in something that is not real - but hope to be (ie goals) - what kind of "intelligent" living is that???

Quote:
You sound like a theist cult member.
Are you "Atheists" disbatching missionaries too?

Quote:
Also Euro Christians have to be honest with themselves in asking exactly why they have forsaken myths of the gods and heroes of their ancestors and instead embraced the gods and heroes of the Jews.
The same herd mentality you've expressed in trying to "point out" "the truth" to others.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
[sigh] For the record, that was self-redacted profanity.
Let's try this again.

Social media is not going to replace religion anymore than it's replacing other forms of in-person communication.

In-person communication, including religious activities such as attending church, carries a great deal more bandwidth than social media, at least at present. Maybe some future Second Life-meets-FaceBook mashup will improve that situation, but social media is relatively shallow in any case, especially where it allows anonymity. How many banal Twitter posts involving what someone ate and what room of the house they're currently in do you really need to hear? And besides, when something really awful happens, for many there's no substitute for a warm meal brought to your door or an actual human being giving you a hug, however heartfelt it may or may not be, or however absent it may be on more routine days. Indeed, for many deconverts, this is the thing they miss the most about their past religious affiliations.

My wife and I have no close relatives nearby, by some definitions no close relatives at all, and we live in a community we've chosen for its amenities and socio-political climate. When we first moved here, we knew no one, and at times realized that we had no one (other than each other) that really would even notice if we lived or died. Thankfully we're finding it very easy to make friends and build relationships here, and we're hopeful that over time we'll have people who would actually visit us in the hospital or help out in a pinch. Those people won't just be out on Twitter, FaceBook or LinkedIn. The idea that those things will ever truly replace in person human relationships would have seemed utterly ridiculous just a decade ago, and that we'd entertain it seriously I find concerning.

Still ... my stepdaughter has hundreds of "friends" on FaceBook and she actually thinks she has a relationship with every one of them. Maybe if you don't know what you're missing ...

Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Nonsense.
The herd/cult mentality is the real danger, not one individual's theist, or atheist ideas.

lol Truth?
What "truth"?
Any time anybody speaks of "the truth" - I wonder what herd they have taken "the truth" from.

Truth is that which causes influence, even if the thought is illusional (ie placebo effect).

Without any imagination, or belief in something that is not real - but hope to be (ie goals) - what kind of "intelligent" living is that???

You sound like a theist cult member.
Are you "Atheists" disbatching missionaries too?

Moderator cut: deleted/off topic
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

Last edited by june 7th; 12-18-2012 at 03:58 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Education and information has always been the bane of religions...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I certainly hope so.

Irrationality is the bane of humanity. Religion is just one of the many manifestations of it.

Access to information and differing perspectives is obviously much greater than in past generations due to the internet. It opens minds and makes brainwashing more difficult. In the past peoples only information about the world outside of their small towns, world history & religion was what their parents and clerics told them. This is fortunately leading more to question and deconstruct the religious nonsense they are taught as kids.

Although I think it is more the result of disscusion forums and "googling" than social network sites

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Maybe if atheism had anything worth offering I'd be worried. It's morally, intellectually, and spiritually bankrupt, though.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe if atheism had anything worth offering I'd be worried. It's morally, intellectually, and spiritually bankrupt, though.
You're only correct on the last one. Atheists are just as moral, if not more moreso than most theists. Certainly Christians and Muslims. And I'll wager a good majority of the top intellectuals on the planet are atheists.

And of course, being "spiritually bankrupt" is about as relevant as t!ts on a frog.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
You're only correct on the last one. Atheists are just as moral, if not more moreso than most theists.
I never said they weren't moral.
Quote:

Certainly Christians and Muslims. And I'll wager a good majority of the top intellectuals on the planet are atheists.
If you were, perhaps you'd have noticed I didn't say they were immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality