Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
No, you are not second-class citizens, just a bunch who would very much like to ram your personal convictions, through changes in our school curricula, our social laws and the mandates of your particular "one of thousands" religions onto the rest of us who simply want to be left alone.
Not I rifle. I don't vote on anything. I understand your frustration with the ones whom try very hard to push their beliefs onto others. Making a generalized comment isn't very scientific though.

Quote:
Science has believers based on the constant flow of ultra-reliable information
You got that right. There is an increasing number of believers coming out of the scientific community, and they are risking everything for their beliefs. Talk about hypocrisy. Anyways, why do you believe atheists have carte blanche on science? Science isn't a prerequisite to unbelief. . . nice try though.

Quote:
the H and A bombs, two of which instantly stopped a nasty war, and all the rest.
I don't believe that. But, I don't want to get into a history debate.

Quote:
I would absolutely deny the fruits of the science you so love to partially and selectively hate, yes, since it is you types who constantly, wildly and hatefully denigrate science per se, as if it's an entity unto itself, rather than a process.
I by no means hate science. Like I said, science is a result of what God already created. We can use it for evil or we can use it for good. Man isn't perfect though, so I take discoveries with a grain of salt. I guess you could say I am skeptical of mans intentions, and rightfully so.

As for the other substance of your post that is signature to your shot gun style arguing, I will just say you are generalizing, which isn't very scientific of you Mr rifle.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 12-20-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The infallible word of god is not evidence.
It is to me.

Quote:
Plus, stop projecting the word, worship, onto others.
Sorry.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The latest is that a nuclear bomb will go off in Yellowstone park, triggering a super volcano that will end the world.
One thing you can always depend on Americans to do. Predict that even the End Of The World will take place in the United States.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
You would like that, wouldn't you?

You seem to be constantly over looking the fact that us (second class citizens in your mind) believers, believe corruption of the gene pool started after the fall. Why is it so hard for you to accept that? The only evidence we require is the infallible Word of God. Got it? Good.

God created your brain and the scientists brain that is capable of coming up with cures and or coming up with dooms day devices. Man gets to decide how he uses it. Funny how science worshipers never mention the glory of the atomic bomb or other grand achievements of man, that could wipe us off the face of the earth.
Your opinion only....For which you have absolutely no evidence, and never will.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
What about the billions of theists (which include many of those scientists) that aren't "devout and overly exuberant mouthy anti-science fundies"?

I'm curious as to where they fit in.
There aren't enough pious scientists to matter is there?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There aren't enough pious scientists to matter is there?
Pious? I have no idea.

Religious? Sure.

But, either way, they would only be a small portion of the non-"devout and overly exuberant mouthy anti-science fundies" group I'm asking about.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 AM

476 posts, read 466,574 times
Quote:
No, you are not second-class citizens, just a bunch who would very much like to ram your personal convictions, through changes in our school curricula, our social laws and the mandates of your particular "one of thousands" religions onto the rest of us who simply want to be left alone.

To be fair, aren't you doing the same to believers? Forcing us to accept your explanation of the origin of life, forcing us to go against our Christian morals in our laws, forcing us to accept a society that wants to scrub religion from any place that is not private property?

Belief in a divine creator has always been the tradition in America. It's on our money. Our president says "May God bless America". And in times of tragedy, we are called to pray. Why should we be forced to give up all these traditions in favor of a minority viewpoint?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
To be fair, aren't you doing the same to believers? Forcing us to accept your explanation of the origin of life, forcing us to go against our Christian morals in our laws, forcing us to accept a society that wants to scrub religion from any place that is not private property?

Belief in a divine creator has always been the tradition in America. It's on our money. Our president says "May God bless America". And in times of tragedy, we are called to pray. Why should we be forced to give up all these traditions in favor of a minority viewpoint?
Why are you forced to "use money" and pray "that god blesses america"? That sounds like an abusive relationship. Seek help, fast

Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Why are you forced to "use money" and pray "that god blesses america"? That sounds like an abusive relationship. Seek help, fast
But in order to exercise your constitutional right to move about on public roadways using an automobile, you must sign a contract with an insurance company, acknowledging that there is a God and that certain casualties are not indemnified because they are deemed to be acts of God. That's a violation of the separation clause in the First Amendment.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Those of you who perhaps get Time magazine will notice on the cover of the Dec. 24 issue, a partial (very partial..) list of known genetically created diseases that modern science is now, or will shortly, begin to fully track, [and thus logically treat?] perhaps through sensible DNA genome mapping of each newborn, at least in our affluent and science-run Western society.

Perhaps devout and overly exuberant mouthy anti-science fundies will be legislatively denied from having any access to such logical procedures, they who simply want to place their trust in some all-knowing God?

The perfect non-animal and superior human species. Certainly Not in "the lesser beasties" class!

Anyhow, the Time cover lists 19 defect conditions as I recall, distinctly genetically created (through ongoing mutations, and the now-established laws of genome mixing and transfer, plus eons of evolutionary mistakes coupled with those damned mutations.. Damn them!!)

You know, the mutations that do not nor have EVER happened to change anything?

God's perfect design? What mindless Gawd-awful tripe!
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

I think you perhaps have been sniffing your own exhaust for too long -- or you spend too much time in your own head. Hubris is as hubris does and your post did little for me.

God simply IS. God is not limited by man's estimation of God -- even those lofty ones like yourself. God created the material world that His creation may benefit from it SPIRITUALLY. Embracing that faith does not necessitate a disavowal of science. Science is merely a means of better understanding of God's gifts.

As great wisdom teachers have demonstrated, suffering is often the road to Enlightenment of God's grace. It is not the only road, but a road. It is often the comfortable that begin to think they can live without God as their center. I have not become all-knowing as you seem to think you are, so it is not for me to judge which road is better. I travel my own, and allow others to follow theirs.

PERHAPS it might be better if you spent more time examining how to get yourself right with God, than making such a weak attempt to play "One Up" with God. Like a drop of water instructing the ocean, your voice is drowned in the roar of the waves approaching you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality