U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
 
7,379 posts, read 7,018,377 times
Reputation: 1257

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
why don't you learn some basic physics? and do some comparative religion research. the Noah flood study is a copy of earlier Babylonian and Sumerian flood stories







When light passes from air into water (or glass), or water into air, different colors are refracted (bent) a different amount. Red is refracted the least, and violet the most. And so, the colors are separated into a spectrum, or rainbow. When raindrops are in the air, most light is either reflected off of the drops or goes right through them. If the light enters at certain angles, the light enters the drop, is reflected inside, and then exits the drop. Entering and exiting the drop, the colors are separated. You see red light come from a raindrop because that drop is at just the correct angle (about 42 degrees) between your eye and the sun so that the red light coming from the sun is refracted, reflected, and refracted again right into your eye. Blue light comes from another raindrop at a slightly different angle. All the raindrops that are at a certain angle between your eye the sun form a circle in the sky. That is why the rainbow is a circle.

What Causes a Rainbow?
That's why God created prisms, so that we can be reminded even while we're inside.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
 
19,943 posts, read 14,584,493 times
Reputation: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Prove it's from God. Its called light refraction with can be easily done in any laboratory environment.
He gave us light refraction resulting in rainbows as a sign. The same refraction resulting from your lawn sprinkler is a sign from God in the clouds.

13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 PM
 
7,379 posts, read 7,018,377 times
Reputation: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He gave us light refraction resulting in rainbows as a sign. The same refraction resulting from your lawn sprinkler is a sign from God in the clouds.

13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
So, you're saying that before the "Flood", light did not refract through water?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,338 posts, read 4,048,044 times
Reputation: 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The vessel wasn't seaworthy. No way a vessel made of wood with such a size, with no rudder could withstand a 700+ ft. per day rain. This event didn't happen.

BTW, Vizio, I make those "rainbows" every week as I'm watering my flowers in the sun.
It has been a good while, about 30 years ago?, when I read a team of scientists built an ark following the instructions of the Bible, to a smaller scale and when they put it in a huge tank and simulated huge wages they were never able to topple the ark. As far as the rudder there was not need to have one because the intent was to keep the people alive and later the water it would recede.
No way? How do you know? Have you read any source that supports your claim or is it just opinion?

The same as far as the event. What information do you have to say it did not happen? I am not sure it did but I believe there is scientific information out there that at least suggest it may have happened. I am not saying it was a worldwide event either. Some scientist have claimed it was more of a local claim.

Actually, the guy that discovered the Titanic did some research in the are where it is claimed Noah lived and he believes it is possible a flood happend based on studies he made in the depths of the sea and in the area. To hear someone like this guy say it is feasible such an event happen has weigth due to his expertise.
As far as the rainbow, again, there seems to be evidence that the earth before this event, if it was global, had a total cloud cover and the sun was not visible as we see it today thus the rainbow may have been the first time it appeared to humans because after the flood the sky was clear. How true? Of course there is debate on this issue but people out there seem to present archeological discoveries that at least has enough info to look further into it. Take care.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
1,556 posts, read 1,335,521 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He gave us light refraction resulting in rainbows as a sign. The same refraction resulting from your lawn sprinkler is a sign from God in the clouds.

13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
quoting the bible is not evidence of your god that is circular reasoning.

saying god did it is argument from ignorance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
 
7,379 posts, read 7,018,377 times
Reputation: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It has been a good while, about 30 years ago?, when I read a team of scientists built an ark following the instructions of the Bible, to a smaller scale and when they put it in a huge tank and simulated huge wages they were never able to topple the ark. As far as the rudder there was not need to have one because the intent was to keep the people alive and later the water it would recede.
No way? How do you know? Have you read any source that supports your claim or is it just opinion?

The same as far as the event. What information do you have to say it did not happen? I am not sure it did but I believe there is scientific information out there that at least suggest it may have happened. I am not saying it was a worldwide event either. Some scientist have claimed it was more of a local claim.

Actually, the guy that discovered the Titanic did some research in the are where it is claimed Noah lived and he believes it is possible a flood happend based on studies he made in the depths of the sea and in the area. To hear someone like this guy say it is feasible such an event happen has weigth due to his expertise.
As far as the rainbow, again, there seems to be evidence that the earth before this event, if it was global, had a total cloud cover and the sun was not visible as we see it today thus the rainbow may have been the first time it appeared to humans because after the flood the sky was clear. How true? Of course there is debate on this issue but people out there seem to present archeological discoveries that at least has enough info to look further into it. Take care.
I really don't have time to redo the research to provide you the exact sources of this info. However, common sense would force one to understand that this event didn't occur as the Bible suggests.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,192 posts, read 4,663,856 times
Reputation: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God told him. Read the Book of Genesis. There is a decent amount of detail recorded. No reason to believe he didn't give him him more than what was recorded as far as supervision goes.

And yes---it was a global flood. The rainbow was his sign of a promise that he'd never do that again--and there have been local floods since.
Sorry, but you aren't actually asserting that the biblical flood literally happened as described in the Old Testament and that Noah built the ark and placed pairs of every animal on board, etc. are you?

I mean, you don't seriously believe this occurred literally as written in The Bible, right?

I have no trouble believing there was a major flood in ancient times in that era. Heck, we have similar accounts to that of Noah but which pre-date the biblical flood writings (Epic of Gilgamesh, anyone?)

But the entire Earth washed away aside from Noah, his family and the animals? That's a tale for kindergarteners. It's almost 2013. We should realize and accept that while these are powerful, instructive tales that can impart wisdom and some understanding of the human condition, the Noah's Ark story is meremy myth and legend, just as Adam and Eve are literary characters; not actual figures from history. That's nonsense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 77,851,759 times
Reputation: 36311
Boats already existed, and shipbuilding was already a well-developed industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 PM
 
19,943 posts, read 14,584,493 times
Reputation: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So, you're saying that before the "Flood", light did not refract through water?
apparently not in the sky like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 PM
 
19,943 posts, read 14,584,493 times
Reputation: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Sorry, but you aren't actually asserting that the biblical flood literally happened as described in the Old Testament and that Noah built the ark and placed pairs of every animal on board, etc. are you?
Of course.
Quote:
I mean, you don't seriously believe this occurred literally as written in The Bible, right?
Yup
Quote:
I have no trouble believing there was a major flood in ancient times in that era. Heck, we have similar accounts to that of Noah but which pre-date the biblical flood writings (Epic of Gilgamesh, anyone?)
And they came from the story of the Flood. The writings of them may predate our earliest writings of the Flood...but they are all based on the legends of the flood.
Quote:
But the entire Earth washed away aside from Noah, his family and the animals? That's a tale for kindergarteners. It's almost 2013. We should realize and accept that while these are powerful, instructive tales that can impart wisdom and some understanding of the human condition, the Noah's Ark story is meremy myth and legend, just as Adam and Eve are literary characters; not actual figures from history. That's nonsense.
No. It's a horrible event that happened to a world full of sinful people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top