Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Bob Ballard, explorer who found the Titanic, now says he may have found evidence of Noah

Well, uhmmm.. instead, it says that he found the source for the old tale of a near-biblical but transient tsunami-like flood event in the Black Sea. He did not find any evidence for an Ark, and certainly NOT a global fludd.

Common sense rises again, but the Arkists are super-quick to claim what they wanted him to have said! As in:

"It's all FACT, I tells yah! And he's one'them dislikable scientists as well! Maybe this time we can get away with mis-interpreting him!"

Instead, this is what he REALLY said. Do note his closing limitations!

“It probably was a bad day,” Ballard told ABC News. “At some magic moment, it broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometers of land (or 58,000 square miles, about the size of Illinois), went under.”
He guesses that the flood must have been a catastrophic event for the ancient civilization that lived along the shores of the Black Sea. The theory is that the survivors of this flood passed the story from mouth to mouth, over generations.

Some believe that this may have inspired the story of Noah’s ark. In Genesis, the first book of the Bible, God rescues Noah from the perils of a disastrous flood by instructing him to build an ark. The story tells us that Noah and his family entered the ark, along with two of every species of animals in the world, and emerged 40 days later.

Other ancient civilizations also tell the tale of a catastrophic flood in the Black Sea region. The Sumerians had the “Epic of Gilgamesh,” while the Romans and Greeks spoke of Deucalion and Pyrrha, who escaped the flood waters in a box.

The houses that Ballard and his team have discovered appear to be pre-Greek. This opens up the door to an ancient seaside culture that might never have been studied before.

“All we can say is that there has been a major flood, that people were living here when it happened,” he told the Guardian. “We prefer to stick with the facts — and who knows where those facts will lead us.”

yup. Facts again! A pre-Jesus, pre-Creation fludd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default That 65 million year old fire stilll burning ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Bob Ballard, explorer who found the Titanic, now says he may have found evidence of Noah

Well, uhmmm.. instead, it says that he found the source for the old tale of a near-biblical but transient tsunami-like flood event in the Black Sea. He did not find any evidence for an Ark, and certainly NOT a global fludd.

Common sense rises again, but the Arkists are super-quick to claim what they wanted him to have said! As in:

"It's all FACT, I tells yah! And he's one'them dislikable scientists as well! Maybe this time we can get away with mis-interpreting him!"

Instead, this is what he REALLY said. Do note his closing limitations!

“It probably was a bad day,” Ballard told ABC News. “At some magic moment, it broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometers of land (or 58,000 square miles, about the size of Illinois), went under.”
He guesses that the flood must have been a catastrophic event for the ancient civilization that lived along the shores of the Black Sea. The theory is that the survivors of this flood passed the story from mouth to mouth, over generations.

Some believe that this may have inspired the story of Noah’s ark. In Genesis, the first book of the Bible, God rescues Noah from the perils of a disastrous flood by instructing him to build an ark. The story tells us that Noah and his family entered the ark, along with two of every species of animals in the world, and emerged 40 days later.

Other ancient civilizations also tell the tale of a catastrophic flood in the Black Sea region. The Sumerians had the “Epic of Gilgamesh,” while the Romans and Greeks spoke of Deucalion and Pyrrha, who escaped the flood waters in a box.

The houses that Ballard and his team have discovered appear to be pre-Greek. This opens up the door to an ancient seaside culture that might never have been studied before.

“All we can say is that there has been a major flood, that people were living here when it happened,” he told the Guardian. “We prefer to stick with the facts — and who knows where those facts will lead us.”

yup. Facts again! A pre-Jesus, pre-Creation fludd!
Ballard didn't find any evidence for a global flood because he wasn't looking for it...especially since he's approaching the truth of G-d's written word from a position of comprimise. Furthermore, Ballard confused the truth of a global flood with the truth of a localized flood.
You're also forgetting that no one or thing "pre-dates" The Lord of all creation. It's not a question old man...you will bend your knee to G-d's Anointed One sooner or later.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Has Ballard ever claimed to have found evidence of an ark?

In everything I've read he's only stated that he thinks there's evidence of a flood that might have served as a base for the story.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
What year would be complete without an ark claim?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
The flood story is global. Every culture has a flood story.
And the likely event happened about 11,000-12,000 years ago.
This link will take you to a synopsis of a book which goes into detail on the matter.
I have this book.
When the Earth Nearly Died

Compelling Evidence of A Catastrophic World Change 9,500 BC
Republished in 1997 as
"Cataclysm : Compelling Evidence of a Cosmic Catastrophe in 9500 B. C."

Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
This link will take you to a synopsis of a book which goes into detail on the matter.
I have this book.

Republished in 1997 as
I have no idea what *evidence* this book presents, but in order to even entertain the possibility of a worldwide flood, one has to bypass all laws of physics, exit the realm of science, and enter into the realm of the miraculous, which many biblical literalists are willing to do. It is hypothetically possible that, say, the polar ice caps melted. This could raise the ocean levels beyond the 2.5 centimeters that all the earth’s atmospheric water could were it to all rain down, but even then the thaw would only slightly affect the world’s coastlines. Additionally, all scientific evidence points to larger polar ice caps in recent history, not smaller.

There is not enough water in the earth’s atmospheric system to even come close to covering all of the earth’s landmasses.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
I believe that there was enough water or still is enough water on the planet to completely Flood the Earth to some degree of the Biblical accounting...
...If the poles melted completely...which could happen, and is happening to some degree right now...flooding is also going on..right now....and the poles are still some what frozen...but in a state of melt...more melt...more water...more water, more flooding.....I see a absolute truth making its way to proving grounds....and it can be then assumed if it was so back then...then the plausibility of it being so, is strengthened above any doubt!

Was there a Ark....Just because we cannot find it, does not mean it was not true to some degree.

I lost my sock somewhere between the washer, and drying cycle...I checked all the places it could of gone....but no luck....and do now I only have one sock....was there 2 socks?...Yes..but I cannot prove this if I do not have the second sock...and so...as time goes by...some will say....there was only one sock...but I know there was two...and flood of water came upon it...and it was gone..eh....sounds like the same senerio with the Ark...?

Could be Noah was lifted up by the waters...to reach God's secret place?..and the dimensional shift in time was applied, also some form of transmutation to the other side of zero...perhaps?

The story is not so much a fairy tale as some would have it...and no one knows where the real mountain the Ark rested on is...as someone has changed that location to keep it secred.

They also changed the name and its ligitamacy of a plant God wants restored sinlessly...So no one does it the right way...and so Eden is lost aswell....by their own doings!

So saying "I believe in this Ark and God scripture"...becomes opinionated babble...but when they look out onto the world being bashed by Natures fury...they say it is the normal Norm....while fish swim up the road backwards or should I say the wrong way?...eh?...well if you can't beat em over the head...Put the plug in the drain...might be the proof in the pudding...we need...and what comes when the drain is plugged with ear wax, the eyes blurred and weak, and the mind polluted to wayward mombo jumbo....FLOODS more the Truth to be known in reality...as it is now upon some in various places!...and some will say , Yes it floods from time to time..but that is not a global Flood....and I say...do we have to flood the entire earth to prove it is possible?...and if it is possible, then...it is plausible...more then Knot....oh yes NOT...something about that to...In Not doing what causes the flooding....but they do not listen to reason....and so it will reoccur...if we are not careful!!!!....Just saying....SOme will say there is not enough water to flood the earth...and if that is true...God will add some more!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I have this book.

Republished in 1997 as
BTW, co-authored by one J Bernard Delair, aka, President of Contact International UFO Research in the UK.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
So... Sir LES: you still choose to ignore the massive and destructive ecological consequences, even if such a totally inundating fludd did occur? () Not to mention the inability of anyone to successfully maintain living conditions for several million species in reproducibly successful population numbers, and in a barge as described, with no sunlight, food or fresh water?

Hmmm... You ARE delusional!

And in addition, have you honestly and thoughtfully reviewed those conservative calculations of the amount of water that would be required to cover Mt. Everest?

It's conservatively calculated to be, as I recall, about 4X the current total volume of all the possible water on this planet. But then... it went where afterwards? In how long a period of "evaporation" time, prompted by the winds?

I know, I know: it's all Godly magic.

Here: some straightforward stuff for you, if you care to review. If not, then you should not be a-barking up this tree!

Additional Topics - Flood

Noah's Flood - What does the Evidence Say?

(Scroll down to Evidence Against. Damned math calculations, huh?

Oh... oooppps... It is "only" 3X the volume of water on the planet right now. My bad!)

As for that tired idea that all the water was trapped in the earth's crust matrix, but then suddenly became mobile and gushed up to the surface, only to re-enter conveniently later?

OK: try this explanation: it's brief but to the point.

Do you know that the amount of water in Noah's flood is now inside the Earth and can be explained? - Yahoo! Answers

As well, it was all based, speculatively, on a limited small drill sample of rocks done in a Tokyo lab. Hardly the end-all conclusion that Christians then rely on here, in their ever-furtive search for proof of their nonsensical flood claims.

FACT: it's all nonsense and convenience.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Ballard didn't find any evidence for a global flood because he wasn't looking for it...especially since he's approaching the truth of G-d's written word from a position of comprimise.
Or rather, a position of reality.

Oh, and real Gods don't have need of written words.

Quote:
Furthermore, Ballard confused the truth of a global flood with the truth of a localized flood.
Ehh, no. Since there was no global flood there is no truth to be confused about.

Quote:
You're also forgetting that no one or thing "pre-dates" The Lord of all creation. It's not a question old man...you will bend your knee to G-d's Anointed One sooner or later.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality