U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM

242 posts, read 308,277 times

Advertisements

In the religious circles, it's called Missionary Work.

At least in the USA, that's what people do. Travel 4000 miles to offer assistance to those in need.
It seems if you looked( just barely try) you could find something in your local city/town//state.

What's the need to go to another country? Is it for vanity? Bragging rights?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 17,923 times
Well, one reason if likely for the different cultural experience. Going several thousand miles would be a much more experience culturally than going somewhere in your backyard. Additionally, many people around the world have it much worse then those. In America, the poor have government programs such as food stamps to make sure they do not starve. The same programs are not present in much of sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM

14,309 posts, read 9,801,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post

At least in the USA, that's what people do. Travel 4000 miles to offer assistance to those in need.
It seems if you looked( just barely try) you could find something in your local city/town//state.

Local missionary work just goes by other names (other than maybe "rescue missions" in skid row districts). Prison ministries, food kitchens, etc.

In my experience "foreign missions" is attractive because it feels to idealistic young people like they are making more of a difference. It makes them feel like they're doing something "big" and game changing.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,888,262 times
Because some of us don't recognize international borders as being moral barriers, with people on different sides of the borders deserving of different levels of altruism. "Love thy neighbor as thyself" does not mean drawing lines through the neighborhood, separating those more and less deserving of charity.

When I travel to another country, I am largely motivated by a desire to enrich my own personal development. If I'm going to go anyway, I carry along the same attitude I have at home, of trying to be helpful and charitable to whomever is in need.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

14,309 posts, read 9,801,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because some of us don't recognize international borders as being moral barriers, with people on different sides of the borders deserving of different levels of altruism. "Love thy neighbor as thyself" does not mean drawing lines through the neighborhood, separating those more and less deserving of charity.
I suspect the point of the OP was to question why we don't take care of our own before removing some of the opportunity for others to care for their own.

It's a little like asking why we do space exploration when there is so much misery and shortage of resources on earth. It's not as simple as that. Space exploration results in new technology and scientific discoveries with benefits far beyond the original application, ultimately gives us new frontiers to grow into, new sources of natural resources, etc. It's a question of how much vision you have and whether you think we can afford not to make such investments. And indeed overseas charitable organizations (whether or not connected with religions) seek to broaden our vision in similar ways.

I suppose it's a balance. It's possible to do too much of a good thing, or to do it for the wrong reasons. Certainly missionary work has had a checkered past in many ways. But I don't automatically think overseas charity is wrong, or that it's automatically more wrong when a religious organization is behind it.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM

15,511 posts, read 14,390,502 times
Just my view.

If a recipient knows the identity of a donor or worker, I do not see it as charity. Also we should take care of our own first and than try to help others. We can not fix the world if we are letting our own house crumble.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,074,799 times
To help people who otherwise wouldn't get helped. I did it, I spent 2 weeks in Jamaica building houses and handing out supplies. No religion involved.

Yes, there's things to be done in the community, but you really have to go see a developing country to see the level of suffering and how completely separated the realms of the rich are from the poor, meaning there's very little help for them coming internally. Especially when the "safety nets" of homeless shelters, emergency care, etc. are non-existent.

I do plenty in my own community as well. It's not like it was some either/or decision. Certainly you hope that someone who cares enough to help people abroad cares enough to help people at home as well. To suggest that we have to have 100% of everyone in America safe and rich before we can go anywhere else discounts how bad conditions are in some other nations.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM

15,511 posts, read 14,390,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
To help people who otherwise wouldn't get helped. I did it, I spent 2 weeks in Jamaica building houses and handing out supplies. No religion involved.

Yes, there's things to be done in the community, but you really have to go see a developing country to see the level of suffering and how completely separated the realms of the rich are from the poor, meaning there's very little help for them coming internally. Especially when the "safety nets" of homeless shelters, emergency care, etc. are non-existent.

I do plenty in my own community as well. It's not like it was some either/or decision. Certainly you hope that someone who cares enough to help people abroad cares enough to help people at home as well. To suggest that we have to have 100% of everyone in America safe and rich before we can go anywhere else discounts how bad conditions are in some other nations.
Come and visit the "Pine Ridge Oglala Reservation" HERE

"Crow Creek Brule Reservation" HERE

"Cheyenne River Lakota Reservation" HERE

Or just watch this video

Third world living conditions in the heartland of America. Living conditions more difficult than Haiti, but in the center of the richest Nation on Earth. These three reservations each have a land area larger than many nations. We have third world Nations here in the USA. Only we call them "Indian Reservations" But some of these Reservations are comparable with Haiti, Ghana, Somalia, Ethiopia etc, But they are ignored because they are "in America"

Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM

19,943 posts, read 14,590,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post

There are a few versions of missions trips. Some churches like to take a group of teenagers to a foreign country and build a house for a few bucks. It helps the locals (maybe) and it gives a summer camp type of experience to the kids involved--which results in their faith maybe growing a bit and they bond with their fellow youth group members. This can be a good thing for all parties involved. I'm not sure we can really call it "Missions", though....as the people involved aren't really acting as missionaries. Oftentimes I wonder if it would be cheaper and more cost-effective to just hire a local contractor and build a house. It might be better quality for less money.

Another version of missionary work is evangelism. Sometimes there is a heavier focus on sharing faith. I went on one like that myself to Australia in 1997. I actually helped teach a clinic on Evangelism at a church in Brisbane--with the intent that they would then go and reach their own community.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM

8,571 posts, read 7,733,290 times
There is more hunger for God in some areas with are poorly developed and when minister ask Jesus along then the miracles are enormous, as Jesus grows beyond the home church ,.... Still there is a abandonment of some Western nations which the government and media have water down the purpose and usefulness of the truth of Jesus Christ were weak minded people listen to the logic of unbelief, so many church are drying out and closing their doors and Jesus is being pushed out ..... I believe there is a curse of money on the western nations , which people are becoming slackers against God , which are paying the price were the western Nations are being given away to the enemies of the people .....sound bad ? You got it .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality