Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are all Christians "guilty by association" of the acts of Westboro Baptist Church?
Yes 7 28.00%
No 18 72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

In my local city forum, the topic has come up and many people in there are saying Westboro represents Christianity as a whole. They say while other churches may package it in a more socially accepting manner, if you are Christian, you are guilty by association of the heinous acts of Westboro Baptist Church. I have heard many liberals say this, and that however benign a church may seem underneath its as ravenous as Westboro and just as damaging to gay people and free-thinkers. Do you think that is so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
They're not even Christians. Every Christian that I know of has outright condemned them.

If someone could show me where their tactics are supported by the Bible as a Christian value I would agree.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They're not even Christians. Every Christian that I know of has outright condemned them.

If someone could show me where their tactics are supported by the Bible as a Christian value I would agree.
Agreed. Even Christians who are otherwise against homosexuality have condemned Westboro. What many people are saying is that other Christian churches are the same as Westboro simply dressed up in a more socially acceptable package, but have the same motives nonetheless.

I completely disagree with that line of thought (Westboro's core doctrines, beneath the protests and signs, isn't Christian at all) but I wanted to see how many people over here, believers and non-believers alike, would agree with it.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In my local city forum, the topic has come up and many people in there are saying Westboro represents Christianity as a whole. They say while other churches may package it in a more socially accepting manner, if you are Christian, you are guilty by association of the heinous acts of Westboro Baptist Church. I have heard many liberals say this, and that however benign a church may seem underneath its as ravenous as Westboro and just as damaging to gay people and free-thinkers. Do you think that is so?
Looks like you met some dumb liberals, well I guess almost everyone has met a dumb liberal sometime in their life.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 AM

522 posts, read 622,584 times
It's a silly notion. Although my guess is, at best, that they mean something like "the difference is in degree not in nature" or something and that "any denomination that indicates you can be damned for sexual sins is essentially the same as WBC."

But whatever the WBC is a small and fairly recent subset/offshoot of Baptists.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Hitler thought he was a Christian as well. Pure hogwash. People use the term Christian to get away with evil everyday.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
I don't use any extremeist sect to define a group. The WBC isn't representative of all Christians, Wahhabi isn't representative of all Muslims, and the ultra-orthodox of Beit Shemesh aren't representative of all Jews.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Nope. I've never heard anyone say that Westboro BC is representative of all Christians. There are also many gay friendly Christian Churches.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
This appears to be the only thread in your city forum to do with this topic at least in the past few months.

//www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...urches-ok.html

It appears you are grossly misrepresenting it. There isn't anyone at all saying what you claim. What's with the lies, the lame strawman arguments and the passive aggressive 'playing the victim' tactics?

What are you trying to achieve?

Last edited by Ceist; 01-07-2013 at 05:35 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Looks like you met some dumb liberals, well I guess almost everyone has met a dumb liberal sometime in their life.
Actually it appears that he is telling furphies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality