Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've seen hateful people of all faiths sadly even Pagans or so called Pagans. Atheist tend to get worked up because they are tired of having Christianity shoved in their faces every where they go. I get this I don't understand why Christians can't worship privately like the rest of us. It truly makes me wonder if they go around looking for a fight, so later they can play the martyr & complain about how they are being repressed.

I think these Christians shoving religion down people's throats is exaggerated. When do you get it? Occasionally while walking down the street someone hands you a pamphlet? Does that offend you so much you feel you need to go on a tirade? Is anyone forcing you to attend church or hear sermons, like in the old days?

=

Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think these Christians shoving religion down people's throats is exaggerated. When do you get it? Occasionally while walking down the street someone hands you a pamphlet? Does that offend you so much you feel you need to go on a tirade? Is anyone forcing you to attend church or hear sermons, like in the old days?

=
Hmmm, how many anti-gay marriage bills in how many states have you seen? Have you heard of DOMA?

How about rules regarding gay couples adopting children?

Every one of those is people of faith shoving their religion down people's throats.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Hmmm, how many anti-gay marriage bills in how many states have you seen? Have you heard of DOMA?

How about rules regarding gay couples adopting children?

Every one of those is people of faith shoving their religion down people's throats.
Again...there are so many people that just can't seem to bring themselves to love others and be tolerant of their differences...and have this compulsion to put out negative vibes to those that are not how they think people should be.

Why should anyone that embraces any faith/belief, lifestyle, or "way" have to "be private" about it?

So, the religious can only display their theological leanings in private, with no outward signs of that trait...or Atheists have to keep their non-belief under wraps...lest those that don't agree are offended?
Should homosexuals have to "be private" about it...and forego the styles of dress, grooming, and mannerisms that are so common to those that have that trait...lest those that don't think being homo is acceptable are offended?
I guess everybody should just walk around like "Dr. Spock" and demonstrate no visible feelings, attitude, or proclivity what-so-ever...so no one gets all mentally irregular about it!

Nobody is "shoving it down the throat" of anyone else simply by going around being how they want to be. Everyone should be able to believe however they want, act however they want, think however they want, be with whoever they want...as long as they are not harming (being "bothered" isn't harm) anyone else...without having to ever hear a single thing about it from anyone.

On a side note...relative to the quoted post---The government should stay out of marriage. Any marriage. Marriage is a religious matter. Government officials made it a legal issue so they could "make work" for themselves "licensing" relationships. Nobody really needs a government say-so to be involved with someone.
Change the tax code so every taxpayer is viewed as an individual, with no consideration as to if they are in any kind of relationship. All other issues of personal decision making or inheritance can be done through contracts, powers-of-attorney, and wills & trusts.
Marriage is a joke now-a-days anyway...it's only good for keeping government workers, lawyers, and judges making money. No couple should feel the need to file papers at some town hall to validate that they have a personal relationship. Those shysters want you to pay them to get together...and then pay them again if you want to break up. Nice racket they've set up for themselves!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:

=

When it comes to religion Christians are VERY in your face about it. Churches on every corner billboards telling you to get saved, They believe that the 10 commandments should be in schools, in city hall, Turn on the TV & they are there as well. Prayer should be in schools. Really?? Do I need to continue? It's even worse if you live in the bible-belt.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
This is an actual college club? Or a bunch of students that decided to get together? If it's under the college, then there must be a faculty advisor and if so, that person should be fired for allowing such a thing to unfold. Sure we have freedom of speech and it's one thing to say 'your book is a book full of contradictions' in a world religion class, but it's a whole different story to crash Sunday services and pee in the holy water. Where are these people's manners!
I would have a serious problem with this group if it was at my college and I'm not even Christian.
To me this is not the religious against the non-religious, this is a pack of jerks!
I don't care what one believes or not, but this group is poking at others and doing so because they want a cool rush.
Horrible!
Now I am assuming that the Christians on campus have no visible presence, meaning that they don't have a crew that goes out and stands in the quad at lunch with a sign that says, 'love Jesus or burn in hell'. If that was going on, and 'they started it' - well then the atheists groups actions are a bit more understandable- still does not make it right!
I get it that many atheists have an open wound when it comes to religion and that can lead to irrational behavior towards innocent people. They seem to have forgotten what it feels like to be the one being tormented.
the bottom line, again, it's not religion vs. atheism, it's a club full of jerks/bullies.
If they did not have religion to pick on, and did not have atheism to bring them together, they would find other groups, people of their ilk, to carry on with and be jerks about something else.

Where are these people? This mom has something to say to them....
Yep, the advisor is my former Psychology instructor. She is very liberal and she lets it be known!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
When it comes to religion Christians are VERY in your face about it. Churches on every corner billboards telling you to get saved, They believe that the 10 commandments should be in schools, in city hall, Turn on the TV & they are there as well. Prayer should be in schools. Really?? Do I need to continue? It's even worse if you live in the bible-belt.
Yeah maybe in America, it's not so prevalent here.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Yeah maybe in America, it's not so prevalent here.

Sorry sometimes it's easy to assume that everyone here is from the states.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry sometimes it's easy to assume that everyone here is from the states.
No worries, I visited the South and didn't encounter much Fundamentalism but I was just passing through.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 PM

511 posts, read 491,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I make it a point to try and live that way everyday...it is alot more honest than preaching about it and not actually living it.

Imagine what Christianity COULD be like if Christians actually LOVED THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES...
Well that's very self-righteous of you.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM

511 posts, read 491,499 times
Quote:
So I guess you have the same disdain for Wendy's, Burger King, Walgreen's, etc, etc, etc...they're on more street corners and billboards telling you to shop or eat there. They're SO in your face.
And they're on TV too...THE HORROR!!!!!!
The 10 commandments in school and city hall?...yea that happens ALL the time. LOL

It sounds like your saying everyone has the freedom to do what they want EXCEPT Christians.
How progressive, open-minded and tolerant of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality