Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,040,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
I'm sure everyone here can agree that there are lots of problems in public school. Take away the Ten Commandments and what moral law will the kids follow? Even for a non Christian those are moral laws and good for society.
Of the Ten Commandments, the first 4 are useless in school.

1. Have no other gods before me? Gee, how nice of the Christians to disallow all other faiths. A Hindu, like my dil believes in Ganesha, not Yahweh.

2. Don't make any graven images? Shall we take down every statue of our presidents? Shall we take down all posters that are being used in the classrooms?

3. Don't take the name of the lord in vain? Which god, which lord? This too excludes other religions.

4. Keep the sabbath holy? Well, we don't have school on weekends, so this doesn't have anything to do with schools.

Now for the rest.
5. Honor thy father and mother. Ok, but what if the parents are abusers? Schools general are mandated reporters on that one.

6. Thou shalt not kill. Fine and applies to everyone, religious or not, but you don't need to post it. We actually need to go beyond this and teach empathy for all living creatures. There really are not many kids killing anyone *in* school despite the publicity some events get.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery? As far as I know, there are no kids who are married in most schools and
while it might be an ok commandment for those who believe in marriage, our morals around sexual activity have changed quite a lot.

8. Thou shalt not steal. Ok. This one is a good rule for everyone and doesn't go to religion, but to all people.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Again, we need to go beyond this and to think about not cheating, lying, etc.

10. Thou shalt not covet... stuff. Again, the problem here is that it is human nature to want what others have and to be jealous. The idea is to teach empathy, being glad when others are happy, etc. Controlling thoughts doesn't hack it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM

66 posts, read 82,753 times
Just saying that those are moral laws that are better for society even for non religious people. Of course when its talking about not having other Gods before Him, because He is the only God so that would be idolatry

Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,736,530 times
Quote:
People needs to stop being so political correct and just have more common sense. If the school wants to have that picture up they should be able to, if they wanted to remove it, that is up to them.
The courts disagree. Please cite which part of their reasoning you disagree with and how the got it wrong.

Quote:
Should I start complaining that schools are supporting atheism by not having a picture of Jesus?
Yes, absolutely. I love it when people who don't understand the law marginalize their own side through public displays of that ignorance.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,736,530 times
Quote:
how so? It's simply a picture. If they place a picture of Santa Claus at Christmas time are they establishing a religion for Santa?
Again, we return to Christians comparing Jesus to a fictional character. Do they really worship something they know is made up by men, or are they lying about the significance of this religious imagery to try and get their way?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM

66 posts, read 82,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Again, we return to Christians comparing Jesus to a fictional character. Do they really worship something they know is made up by men, or are they lying about the significance of this religious imagery to try and get their way?

People do all the time, people worship other people, objects, fictional characters all the time. How does a picture of Jesus offend you? Do you at least admit that He really walked on this earth or are you one of those that deny He even was real even though all the proofs and written manuscripts not just the ones in the Bible?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,442,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Apparently what is not scientific is your understanding of it.
Because there is nothing there to understand. It is just linguistic tricks to try and declare that because some of the attributes people imagine god having are the same as the attributes of the universe - then that is proof there is a god.

Making something up is still making something up - even if you make it up to _sound_ like it has things in common with something else.

"I want to call everything is "God" therefore that means there is a God" says exactly nothing.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM

64,132 posts, read 40,451,192 times
Quote:
Yes they are. ALL that exists is vibratory FIELD which manifests as either mass or energy (they are equivalent E=mc^2; E=hf) depending on how we measure or observe them.
Apparently what is not scientific is your understanding of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The vibratory field isn't science, just New Age mumbo jumbo. Einstein's theory only shows the relationship between mass and energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Yeah I would not put much stock in his/her understanding of Einsteins science. Morbert totally ripped that apart in the past already. There is nothing there except using big science words to sound confident about what the user knows nothing about.
Your assessment of Morbert's participation is poorly understood. He did no such thing. In fact, he balked at actually addressing the finer mathematical points I made about the mass/energy manifestation of field phenomena. But I can only assume the math was beyond your ken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Because there is nothing there to understand. It is just linguistic tricks to try and declare that because some of the attributes people imagine god having are the same as the attributes of the universe - then that is proof there is a god.
Making something up is still making something up - even if you make it up to _sound_ like it has things in common with something else.
"I want to call everything is "God" therefore that means there is a God" says exactly nothing.
You know your unfounded proclamations and dismissals would make more sense if, for example, you were to tell us what "Everything that IS" does mean . . . if NOT God.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM

33,641 posts, read 37,309,179 times
It means simply everything that is...No need to throw your god into the picture.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 PM

64,132 posts, read 40,451,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It means simply everything that is...No need to throw your god into the picture.
Nonsense. WHAT IS IT, then? It is responsible for all creation, life, evolution, etc. . . . yet you pretend it is nothing . . . just to avoid considering its attributes objectively because they would be what we attribute to God.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 AM

33,641 posts, read 37,309,179 times
Quote:
Nonsense. WHAT IS IT, then? It is responsible for all creation, life, evolution, etc. . . . yet you pretend it is nothing . . . just to avoid considering its attributes objectively because they would be what we attribute to God.
Did I say it was nothing? No I did not, but it is mostly nothing if you think about it....An atom is 99.9999999999999% empty space, which means that if that space were removed, the solid matter of every human on earth would fit into a space the size of a sugar cube....You may attribute it to god, but I certainly don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality