Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlegend View Post
Sanitizing the public space from religious references (usually historically based) is the path of many nations in the 20th century that removed people's individual and collective rights. Allowing variety of expression is the controversial American way. Judeo-Christian history is part of America's history, legal system and etc. Native American spirituality, the Masons...... countless other elements of who we are must be acknowledged, yes even celebrated publically. Denial - Empty walls that deny these and many other religious and spiritual realities are ludicrous and dangerous. We are not a blank slate - that is cultural suicide.

As a Native American and a Freemason, I just sit and shake my head at your complete lack of any knowledge......

Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
Well since you threw away archaeology as a means of proof
I did no such thing. And I have correcting this lie on many occasions yet you keep telling it. Everyone here can read what I said. Everyone here can read my pointing out your misrepresentation of what I said. So what is the point in doing it over and over? Just to derail my requests for evidence?

Once again all I said was: Using archaeology to prove some of the places in the Bible exist in no way substantiates the EVENTS in the Bible.

If you want to keep lying that I said something else then I am happy to keep pointing out that lie for all to see.

Quote:
And simply claiming that something does not exist does not make it reality.
Which I never did. We keep explaining to you that the onus is on your to prove it does exist, not for us to prove it does not. This is one of the simplest concepts... the burden of proof... in philosophy so if you can not even grasp THAT one then hope is low for you grasping anything else.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I did no such thing. And I have correcting this lie on many occasions yet you keep telling it. Everyone here can read what I said. Everyone here can read my pointing out your misrepresentation of what I said. So what is the point in doing it over and over? Just to derail my requests for evidence?

Once again all I said was: Using archaeology to prove some of the places in the Bible exist in no way substantiates the EVENTS in the Bible.

Ok, let's make this simple. Are you saying that you will accept archaeology as a form of evidence as long as it DOES NOT refer to a Biblical place or name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

Which I never did. We keep explaining to you that the onus is on your to prove it does exist, not for us to prove it does not. This is one of the simplest concepts... the burden of proof... in philosophy so if you can not even grasp THAT one then hope is low for you grasping anything else.
The burden of proof doesn't give you full reign to simply deny anything I present and offer no backing support for your claims. If you make a claim, back it up. That's only fair. If I claim that Bigfoot does not exist then I would need to research and discount all the existing evidence first. I can't just simply say Bigfoot doesn't exist because the burden of proof is on the Bigfoot believers.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Ok, let's make this simple. Are you saying that you will accept archaeology as a form of evidence as long as it DOES NOT refer to a Biblical place or name?
Hey, you made the same claim that I would not let you use archaelogical evidence. The problem is not the evidence, it is what you try to stretch the evidence to prove.

Quote:

The burden of proof doesn't give you full reign to simply deny anything I present and offer no backing support for your claims.
Actually, as long as your claims are extraordinary, it does.

Quote:
If you make a claim, back it up. That's only fair. If I claim that Bigfoot does not exist then I would need to research and discount all the existing evidence first. I can't just simply say Bigfoot doesn't exist because the burden of proof is on the Bigfoot believers.
Actually, you can.

Otherwise, how are you going to respond to my claim that left handed purple garden gnomes are putting too much salt into your eggs in the morning? Prove to me that they are not?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Umm no, that would be Hippocrates having the influence by his own statements.
It's thanks to the Olympian gods that we have Western civilization. and It is thanks to them that Hippocrates was inspired to his work and oath. He himself dedicates his Oath to them. When Rome stopped worshiping the Olympians in the Sky, it fell to the Christian's dark ages. Your adopted Jewish god exists as much as the 12 co-rulers of your likely ancestors do, and as much if you juggled yourself into having deep faith in anything other.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
how are you going to respond to my claim that left handed purple garden gnomes are putting too much salt into your eggs in the morning? Prove to me that they are not?
Here's where you are messing up fish.

You need to face---THE REALITY OF THE WORLD about "God Belief". And why that reasonably puts the onus on the Atheists to "represent" and "prove their claim".

See..."Burden of proof" would be on the "God Exists" claim...all else being equal--But, all things ARE NOT equal.

When you are the veeeeeeeeery slight majority...contesting the "Existing Worldwide Standard"...that's a toooooootally different story.

Belief has been the "norm" (8to9 out of 10) for THOOOOOOOUSANDS of years. It's the "incumbent position"...the "ruling viewpoint"...the "champion concept"! "God Exists" doesn't have to prove itself...it currently "holds office"! It's upon the weak challenger (Atheism) of nearly negligible merit/influence to prove itself. So far it's gotten steamrolled and flattened, in every "race". If it were seen as an "election"...Atheism would be viewed as being defeated in the biggest landslide EVER.

It's actually a joke that the insignificant pipsqueak Challenger with a 1W-9L record would have the nerve to "call out" the REEEEEEEIGNING, AND DEFENNNNNNDING, UNNNNNN-DE-FEATED, CHAAAAAAAM-PI-OOOOOOON CONNNNNNNCEPT, OOOOOOF THE WORRRRRRRLD...and demand it "prove" itself. LOL!

And anyone can blow off with all the "ad Pop/Logical Fallacy" rebuttals they want...but the Atheist viewpoint STILL won't ever do anything but get trounced in the Arena of World Merit.

And before you get all mentally irregular...I hold Atheism in higher regard, and view it as superior, to most concepts...and certainly above all organized religious dogma. I'm just pointing out the REALITY as to what "the way of the world" is.

"God Exists" has been sooooooo prolific, for sooooooo long...it can be considered a "Standard of Human Understanding".
When a concept reaches a "saturation point" that is to such a degree that it is considered to be "The Standard"...a position that deviates from that will have to prove itself to be given merit against the long established standard.
Since "GOD EXISTS" is the looooooong established WORLD STANDARD...anyone that wants to contest that, is going to have to prove THEIR case.

Just like Galileo had to PROVE the universe DOES NOT revolve around the Earth, since that concept was in opposition to the "long established standard" that it did...the Atheists will have to PROVE God DOES NOT exist, if they want their concept to be accepted as valid.

BTW...good luck with that. It will be much harder for you than it was for Galileo...since he was right, and you are wrong.
And, so far "The God Exists Concept" has "taken on all challengers" for thousands of years and "dusted them" like they weren't even there!!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

You need to face---THE REALITY OF THE WORLD about "God Belief". And why that reasonably puts the onus on the Atheists to "represent" and "prove their claim".

See..."Burden of proof" would be on the "God Exists" claim...all else being equal--But, all things ARE NOT equal.

When you are the veeeeeeeeery slight majority...contesting the "Existing Worldwide Standard"...that's a toooooootally different story.

Belief has been the "norm" (8to9 out of 10) for THOOOOOOOUSANDS of years. It's the "incumbent position"...the "ruling viewpoint"...the "champion concept"! "God Exists" doesn't have to prove itself...it currently "holds office"! It's upon the weak challenger (Atheism) of nearly negligible merit/influence to prove itself. So far it's gotten steamrolled and flattened, in every "race". If it were seen as an "election"...Atheism would be viewed as being defeated in the biggest landslide EVER.

It's actually a joke that the insignificant pipsqueak Challenger with a 1W-9L record would have the nerve to "call out" the REEEEEEEIGNING, AND DEFENNNNNNDING, UNNNNNN-DE-FEATED, CHAAAAAAAM-PI-OOOOOOON CONNNNNNNCEPT, OOOOOOF THE WORRRRRRRLD...and demand it "prove" itself. LOL!

And anyone can blow off with all the "ad Pop/Logical Fallacy" rebuttals they want...but the Atheist viewpoint STILL won't ever do anything but get trounced in the Arena of World Merit.

And before you get all mentally irregular...I hold Atheism in higher regard, and view it as superior, to most concepts...and certainly above all organized religious dogma. I'm just pointing out the REALITY as to what "the way of the world" is.

"God Exists" has been sooooooo prolific, for sooooooo long...it can be considered a "Standard of Human Understanding".
When a concept reaches a "saturation point" that is to such a degree that it is considered to be "The Standard"...a position that deviates from that will have to prove itself to be given merit against the long established standard.
Since "GOD EXISTS" is the looooooong established WORLD STANDARD...anyone that wants to contest that, is going to have to prove THEIR case.

Just like Galileo had to PROVE the universe DOES NOT revolve around the Earth, since that concept was in opposition to the "long established standard" that it did...the Atheists will have to PROVE God DOES NOT exist, if they want their concept to be accepted as valid.

BTW...good luck with that. It will be much harder for you than it was for Galileo...since he was right, and you are wrong.
And, so far "The God Exists Concept" has "taken on all challengers" for thousands of years and "dusted them" like they weren't even there!!

Oh but I thought you couldn't prove a negative according to the atheists. Apparently Galileo did.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Oh but I thought you couldn't prove a negative according to the atheists. Apparently Galileo did.
The trouble for them is...on this matter they are "sunk".
Since, as I said...Galileo was right and the Atheists are wrong.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

You make a reasonable case, however you have made a significant error. The Judeo/Christian god is NOT the Standard. More people do NOT belive in the Judeo/Christian god than do. Therefore, when challenged to support you positive extraordinary claim that your god is the Truth, then the burden of proof is placed squarely on you.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You make a reasonable case, however you have made a significant error. The Judeo/Christian god is NOT the Standard. More people do NOT belive in the Judeo/Christian god than do. Therefore, when challenged to support you positive extraordinary claim that your god is the Truth, then the burden of proof is placed squarely on you.
No john...the error is yours.

I NEVER said anything about any specific God(s)...check it again...I just said "God Exists" and "God Belief". Any God Exists. Belief in any God.
THAT has been the "Champion Concept of the World" for thousand upon thousands of years...and thus, the "Worldwide Standard". As opposed to the "No God" position of Atheism.

If the Atheists want to contest "God Exists"...they will have to bring their game, and make their mark. Good luck with that...you sure are going to need it. "God Belief" has been the Champion for a looooooong time.

If you would care for my personal Belief...I perceive a generic "Creator God", with no hocus-pocus added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality