Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 82,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
No, but it can be considered as establishing a religion.

how so? It's simply a picture. If they place a picture of Santa Claus at Christmas time are they establishing a religion for Santa?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Also I want to add, that schools used to teach the Christian faith openly and teach from the Bible all the time. I wish they would do that again. You take God out of the way and you open yourself up to a whole lot of problems.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,688,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
Also I want to add, that schools used to teach the Christian faith openly and teach from the Bible all the time. I wish they would do that again. You take God out of the way and you open yourself up to a whole lot of problems.
That was found to be unconstitutional thank god. Regardless of the consequences we don't need a bunch of mind numbed robots. When one's mind is freed one can accomplish great things that benefit us all.

Since Santa Clause isn't a religious figure, such a picture would not be establishing a religion. Putting a picture of Jesus, Muhammad, or Buddha alone would be establishing the corresponding religion as in higher esteem than the others.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Quote:
What problems are you talking about?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,644,003 times
Quote:
Fortunately, we've had individuals willing to stand up against the tyranny of the majority, which resulted in much more than just sand pounding.

Engel v. Vitale
"The Regents School Prayer" - 1962

Murray v. Curlett
"School Prayer" - 1963

Abington Township School District v. Schempp
"Bible reading in school" - 1963

LEMON v. KURTZMAN, 403 U.S. 602 (1971)

STONE v. GRAHAM, 449 U.S. 39 (1980)

WALLACE v. JAFFREE, 472 U.S. 38 (1985)

LEE v. WEISMAN, 505 U.S. 577 (1992)

The tide is turning, so expect more anti-theist rulings in the future, regardless of the circuses performed by our government officials.
After checking out those cases...I must amend my statement.
From: "They grease the squeakiest wheels every now and then...and "toss them a crumb"
To: "They grease the squeakiest wheels every now and then...and "toss them a piece of a crumb".

Yes, it is "much more that sand pounding". It's spitting into a strong wind, and bashing your head against a rock, at the same time.

Get hip to REALITY man! You are bailing a swimming pool with a thimble, during a heavy rain storm!!

Let's see...
We've got the last POTUS proclaiming he started the longest war in the history of the country, because "God told him to"!

The 3rd highest government official at the time she came out with it, saying this: Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh' | CNS News

Even our National Anthem. We typically only sing the first verse...but did you ever check out the last verse?: Star Spangled Banner Lyrics - USA Flag Site

You can delude yourself to how it REALLY IS...because you don't like it...and pretend "the tide is turning", as a way to self-comfort. But that doesn't change REALITY.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
After checking out those cases...I must amend my statement.
From: "They grease the squeakiest wheels every now and then...and "toss them a crumb"
To: "They grease the squeakiest wheels every now and then...and "toss them a piece of a crumb".

Yes, it is "much more that sand pounding". It's spitting into a strong wind, and bashing your head against a rock, at the same time.

Get hip to REALITY man! You are bailing a swimming pool with a thimble, during a heavy rain storm!!

Let's see...
We've got the last POTUS proclaiming he started the longest war in the history of the country, because "God told him to"!

The 3rd highest government official at the time she came out with it, saying this: Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh' | CNS News

Even our National Anthem. We typically only sing the first verse...but did you ever check out the last verse?: Star Spangled Banner Lyrics - USA Flag Site

You can delude yourself to how it REALLY IS...because you don't like it...and pretend "the tide is turning", as a way to self-comfort. But that doesn't change REALITY.
I provided only a small number of the rulings against theists. We've turned the corner and are driving you into the corner you've built for yourselves. Theism will soon be seen as the scam it is.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What problems are you talking about?

I'm sure everyone here can agree that there are lots of problems in public school. Take away the Ten Commandments and what moral law will the kids follow? Even for a non Christian those are moral laws and good for society.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,644,003 times
Quote:
I provided only a small number of the rulings against theists. We've turned the corner and are driving you into the corner you've built for yourselves. Theism will soon be seen as the scam it is.
Heeeeeeey, look john!...here comes a bunch of your Atheist associates to help you bail the pool...they all brought their thimbles as well.
Oh...by the way...you all have to pretend the Theist with the 3 inch firehose flowing full bore at the other end, isn't actually there.
Bail faster!...Bail faster!...Bail faster!...faster...faster!!!
And as soon as you finish that...you've gotta go get those Jesus pictures out of the little rural middle-schools. That'll fix those Theists! You'll show them!!

HaHaHaHaHa!! WOW!...and to think they say the Fundie Bible Literalists are deluded!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I'm sure everyone here can agree that there are lots of problems in public school. Take away the Ten Commandments and what moral law will the kids follow? Even for a non Christian those are moral laws and good for society.
Were there no morals before the Ten Commandments story? Do atheists not have morals? Strawman argument alert!! No, I personally don't think that many of the 10 commandments are good for society. As a matter of fact, many are harmful.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Quote:
The ten commandments are not needed, only the golden rule is....Most of the commandments are useless...The first four are nothing more than a testament to a vain god...Number five Honor your parents needs a qualifier....No need to honor bad parents. Six thru nine the golden rule takes care of, and ten...Do not covet others stuff would collapse the capitalist system.

George Carlin - Ten Commandments - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.