U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
 
81 posts, read 119,489 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

I think it is time to compare the most religious country in the world to the least religious countries in the world:

Somalia vs Sweden & Norway

Sweden & Norway ranks on top in the world when it comes to:
1. The number of Women in congress (percentage of men vs women)
2. First on United Nations (UNDP) ranking of the best countries to live in
3. Least corrupt in the world
4. Gives most aid in terms of GDP per capita to poor countries in the world
5. Least dangerous
6. Have the most number of people who believe in evolution in the world (you are pretty much considered "nuts" to believe in creationism in these two countries)
7. etc
8. etc
9. etc

Please click on the 5 links below to learn some interesting facts:

Sweden ranks in top

Best Countries to Live In - Best Places to Live in the World - Marie Claire

Norway is the best country in the world to live in, according to the UN

New Swedish parliament 'most gender balanced ever' - The Local

List of governments by development aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From link above (percent of GDP given to poor countries - Gross Domestic Product) Yes, these awful non-religious countries cares most about giving aid to other countries that need it:
1. Sweden – 1.45%
2. Norway – 1.06%

List of governments by development aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Somalia
1. Worst corrupt country in the world
2. Worst place to be a woman in the entire world
3. No women in congress and other high positions
4. Most dangerous country
5. Have the least number of people who believe in evolution in the world (Good luck and have a nice life if you say that you believe in evolution in Somalia)
6. etc

Please click on the 3 links below to learn some interesting facts:

Somalia Tops Most Corrupt Countries List For Fifth Year - Forbes

The worst places in the world for women: Somalia | World news | guardian.co.uk

60 Most Failed Countries of the World: Postcards From Hell - Chill Out Point

Importance of religion by country
The first percentage is if they say that religion is important in their life. The second is if religion is not important in their life.

Sweden 16.5% 83% (first place)
Denmark 18% 80.5%
Norway 20.5% 78%
Hong Kong 23% 75.5%
Japan 23.5% 75%
Republic of the Congo 94.5% 5.5%
Somalia 98.5% 1.5% (last place)

Note: there are of course many countries between Sweden and Somalia but these are examples from the list.

Should I continue with the most religious christian countries:

Honduras 84% 15.5%

Guess what...Honduras has the highest murder rate per capita in the world.....

The countries that are more religious than Honduras are not Christian....

Please click on the 2 links below:

The Struggle to Survive in the Most Violent Country in the World - InSight Crime | Organized Crime in the Américas

The World's Murder Capital Is ... - ... a country even more dangerous than Mexico or Iraq

Failed states (click on link below):
List of countries by Failed States Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the link above they list the most failed states from worst to best. Therefore it is not good to be on top...


I realize that living in a rich country will lead to less reasons for being religious but why are the most religious countries the worst for women, corruption and all the other bad things. Why are these horrible non-religious countries like Sweden and Norway giving most in percentage in aid to other countries and many, many, many, many other good things. Can you at least acknowledge that the non-religious democratic countries are treating people pretty good and are pretty good places to live in.

If you don't like the example of Somalia that I have written about above please choose any of the other top 10 religious countries in the world and I will give you some "interesting" statistics about them...trust me they are not that positive.....

Country
Niger
Bangladesh
Oman
Indonesia
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Malawi
Morocco
Sri Lanka
Mauritania
Djibouti
Somalia


If you want to I can also give you some more stats of the other top non-religious countries in the world such as Australia, Netherlands and Japan. Trust me....They are pretty positive....
While I'm at it I have another interesting question. If you look at the old British Colonies:

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Australia
4. New Zealand

...why is USA so much different than the other ones when it comes to religion. Canada, Australia & New Zealand are almost as non-religious as Sweden and Norway but that could not be said about USA...Maybe not yet at least....
Why is this....They have all had freedom of religion so that is not the case...

To all the religions Americans who read this and think that the country is falling apart because "more and more people are turning away from God"....don't be so worried that USA getting less religious....it is actually a good thing....

Last edited by johnsweeting; 01-18-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,673,641 times
Reputation: 816
I would agree...people are beginning to WAKE UP and realize that "RELIGION" is stagnant and not beneficial to ones personal spiritual walk. There is a huge difference between being "Religious" and being "Spiritual" which is PERSONAL and PRIVATE and doesn't require one to be part of a crowd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,580 posts, read 10,970,778 times
Reputation: 6959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I would agree...people are beginning to WAKE UP and realize that "RELIGION" is stagnant and not beneficial to ones personal spiritual walk. There is a huge difference between being "Religious" and being "Spiritual" which is PERSONAL and PRIVATE and doesn't require one to be part of a crowd.

Perhaps a new age of Enlightenment is upon us......one can only hope....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
 
15,721 posts, read 10,774,324 times
Reputation: 6996
I do always laugh at the people who claim removing God from society makes it collapse. 1) You can't remove God, you can merely stop letting human religious dogma influence everyone. And 2) The best countries in the world are by far the least religious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
 
81 posts, read 119,489 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I would agree...people are beginning to WAKE UP and realize that "RELIGION" is stagnant and not beneficial to ones personal spiritual walk. There is a huge difference between being "Religious" and being "Spiritual" which is PERSONAL and PRIVATE and doesn't require one to be part of a crowd.
Give USA another 40 years to wake up and then it will be very close to Sweden and Norway (I hope) when it comes to how religious people are. When I went to University of Colorado I know one person out of about 15 of the people I know that actually were religious but I bet if any of these people would get a Yes/No question if they are religious I think many would answer Yes even though they are not. I think it's because of some sort of "shame" for the lack of a better word.

Maybe my college friends in Colorado were not a blue print of America but still. I was wondering were all the religious people were....I think this decreasing trend of being religious is going pretty fast in some states such as Colorado, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and other states like it but not in the south in states like Alabama, Georgia, Texas etc.

I guess you are still considered "the devil" in Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia and Mississippi and other parts of redneck America if you say that you believe in evolution or if you are not religious....incredible...

Last edited by johnsweeting; 01-19-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Missouri
4,001 posts, read 3,423,295 times
Reputation: 1757
What if one reverses the OP's argument: "suffering is the cause of faith" (not "faith the cause of suffering")? The more people suffer, the more prevalent is the belief that a higher power can deliver one from suffering.

IMO, that makes more sense to me. Europe used to be very religious. Did it give up God in order to relieve the suffering of its people? No, the suffering disappeared as society stabilized and faith was lost along the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,309 posts, read 10,264,446 times
Reputation: 6224
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
What if one reverses the OP's argument: "suffering is the cause of faith" (not "faith the cause of suffering")? The more people suffer, the more prevalent is the belief that a higher power can deliver one from suffering.

IMO, that makes more sense to me. Europe used to be very religious. Did it give up God in order to relieve the suffering of its people? No, the suffering disappeared as society stabilized and faith was lost along the way.
I'm not inclined to buy this because it's really a variation of the "no atheists in a foxhole" argument. The cause of faith is not suffering, but ignorance. If you're ignorant enough to believe god exists, is taking care of you and has an afterlife awaiting you, then you can rationalize a lot of suffering.

I'm not convinced people are looking for the absence of suffering. They are looking for a rationalization and a reason for it. They will accept a promissory note, however bogus, for some deferred future resolution to their suffering, if only they can be convinced that their suffering is not meaningless. This is the job of religion, to provide prefabricated meaning, to make certitude out of thin air, and to excuse suffering as ennobling.

And to promise the moon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,673,641 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
Give USA another 40 years to wake up and then it will be very close to Sweden and Norway (I hope) when it comes to how religious people are. When I went to University of Colorado I know one person out of about 15 of the people I know that actually were religious but I bet if any of these people would get a Yes/No question if they are religious I think many would answer Yes even though they are not. I think it's because of some sort of "shame" for the lack of a better word.

Maybe my college friends in Colorado were not a blue print of America but still. I was wondering were all the religious people were....I think this decreasing trend of being religious is going pretty fast in some states such as Colorado, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and other states like it but not in the south in states like Alabama, Georgia, Texas etc.

I guess you are still considered "the devil" in Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia and Mississippi and other parts of redneck America if you say that you believe in evolution or if you are not religious....incredible...
Unfortunately, here in AL, I am considered damned. But, at this point in my life, I just don't care anymore what other people think...it's very freeing!!

I also found a Unitarian church here...it's AWESOME!!! They welcome people of ALL faiths and teach strictly about LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF...and getting involved in your community to do so. No doctrine, dogma or precepts of men involved. I love it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Warren, Michigan
5,298 posts, read 4,344,059 times
Reputation: 192
Its too late to disconnect people from God; people can disconnect from religion, but you can't remove God from them. In your campain to do so, you will only deepen their belief. Even God could careless about religion; and the believing people can be brought to that point with religion;

But you will never seperate the people from God, because your not strong enough to remove him from the people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
11,945 posts, read 10,715,722 times
Reputation: 19880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Its too late to disconnect people from God; people can disconnect from religion, but you can't remove God from them. In your campain to do so, you will only deepen their belief. Even God could careless about religion; and the believing people can be brought to that point with religion;

But you will never seperate the people from God, because your not strong enough to remove him from the people.
The evidence says otherwise. Take a look at the OP and review the level of religious belief in Scandanavia.

That is proof that people do not need your non-existent deity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top