Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times

Advertisements

Files may reveal what the Catholic Church in Los Angeles knew about sex abuse - CNN.com

So where does someone who was baptized Catholic and went to Catholic school for 16 years now turn to for spiritual guidance? Certainly not the corrupt Church..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM

81 posts, read 128,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Files may reveal what the Catholic Church in Los Angeles knew about sex abuse - CNN.com

So where does someone who was baptized Catholic and went to Catholic school for 16 years now turn to for spiritual guidance? Certainly not the corrupt Church..
Is anyone surprised by this anymore (the abuse of young children)???? I mean really??? They should write articles if there are any Catholic priests out there that are not abusing children. Are there any? I'm just asking...

Look at Ireland. They used to be the only "very" religious country left in Europe. Now look what happened to them:

1. Irish Consider Religion The Least Important Part Of Their Lives
The Irish consider religion to be the least important part of their lives, according to the results of a new survey.
As IrishCentral notes, the VitalSigns study, conducted by the Community Foundation for Ireland, revealed that of 119 possible options, the people of Ireland ranked religion and spirituality the "least important aspect of their lives.

(click on link below to read more).

Irish Consider Religion The Least Important Part Of Their Lives, 2013 Survey Reveals (VIDEO)

2. Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise

According to the global index, only 47 percent of those surveyed in Ireland said they considered themselves religious -- a 22-point drop from the 69 percent recorded in a similar 2005 poll. Moreover, 10 percent identified themselves as atheist.
(click on link below to read more).

Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise

I wonder how the decline in religiosity has been in the USA because of these horrible things done to young children by many Catholic priests.

I have a "Real Irish" guy at work (he was born and lived most of his life in Ireland) that I talk to about religion and he is telling me that the decline in religiosity in the last 5-10 years in Ireland has been staggering. He didn't think it would go this quickly...to which I responded......"Great news. Ireland, welcome to the 21st century. The century of reality, critical thinking and reason....keep the good news coming"...

In the comment section of the second article I found a really intelligent quote that I will just paste below. Figure out for yourselves what it means. It is pretty obvious to me:

Picture two lemonade stands: side by side.
One has a banner that reads: Brutal Truths.
The other has a banner that reads: Comforting Lies.

Unfortunately the booth of Brutal Truths has no customers.
While at the booth of Comforting Lies the line goes on for miles.

Last edited by johnsweeting; 02-01-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM

81 posts, read 128,279 times
Default Look what happend in Ireland..When will the decrease of Religion of this big magnitude come to America

Double Post

Last edited by johnsweeting; 02-02-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
In a way I wish that the decline in religion and increase in atheism was because of the case for and against, rather than the scandal. Still, I have to remind myself that i have known many ex- religious who had all the arguments for and against in their head but they still believed on FAITH. Then something shocked them - e. g -a scandal - and the mental wall collapsed and the disbelief flooded in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality