Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,011,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Sometimes I think we need a cancer forum! There is so much cancer going nowadays. Be sure to read all you can on the subject. It really helps.

Kawgz keep us posted on what stage they finally say your father is in. And listen, don't let one MD call the shots. There was a lady who was stage IV, who lived because she changed cancer treatment centers.
I will keep that in mind. I'll try to research the info you have given me.

My dad is in denial right now, so it's going to be really hard to convince him to do anything at this point. I just pray he keeps being a fighter. From things that I have read this far, attitude is the biggest issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 AM

599 posts, read 1,261,273 times
Would you all please pray for my dad?...he's in the hospital with a broken hip. He has a lot of health problems, congestive heart failure, diabetes, he's on dialysis and in a wheelchair because of neuropathy. He fell in the bathroom and that's how he broke his hip.

Anyway, the best option is surgery of course but it's very risky if he has it. He doesn't seem to want to take the risk but if he doesn't have it he'll have to go to a nursing home and be on bedrest for 6-12 weeks (the break will supposedly heal this way) but of course bedrest for that long is also very risky.

Please pray for wisdom for my dad and mom as they try to decide what's best. Also pray for strength for my mom as she isn't getting much sleep and is spending all day every day at the hospital. My parents are 76 (dad) and 77 (mom).

Thank you!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
I'll be praying for all the dads .. kawgpz's, Deb in VA's, and still for Alpha's .. and the other petitions here.

Quick update: It's official. My Father-In-Law was diagnosed with cancer. There is a "large" mass in his stomach, plus it's on his esophogus. He sees the surgeon again on Monday (3/24) and we'll know our options then. Pray for guidance and strength and comfort for the entire family.

Blessings to all and Happy Easter == He is RISEN!! Praise Jesus!!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,499 times
My friend phoned up in tears yesterday. Her dad had collapsed all of a sudden at their home and when they took him to the hospital and did some tests on him they discovered that he has cancer and it has spread right throughout his body. They have basically said that because it has spread so much there is nothing they can do now and because of his age they can't do a biopsy to see quite how bad it has got so he could have months or just days left. He needs 24 hour care now and will be in hospital for the rest of his days and it kills me to see him like this. The nurses are wonderful and he is in a lovely light room with a beautiful, blossoming tree just outside his window but his situation is so bleak it almost blocks it all out. He has great faith in the Lord which is helping him through it but I still can't even begin to imagine what he's going through.

If anyone could drop in a prayer tonight for him and the rest of his family then it'd be greatly appreciated because I can't stand to see him like this. Thank you.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Default Prayer for pastor's baby...

Could you guys please be in prayer for our former pastor's baby? He's in the hospital with a high fever they can't bring down. Started with an ear infection.

Thanks so much-

Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM

I have read all of your requests...You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Edit: Update on my dad...Right now, he's refusing to undergo the chemo and radiation. He says he doesn't want to go through that and for my kids to see it. Please pray that he will make the best, most well informed, decision.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
I remembered everyone in prayers today at Mass. Kind of felt good to be praying for other people. I am so mystified by the whole process, though, to be honest. By that I mean, why does one person heal and another pass on in 3 months. Oh well. Ours is not to question why...

And BTW, yesterday, the MD said the latest petscan shows NO sign of cancer for my godfather, Don.

Wow, we would've never believed that 9 months ago. His cancer was the size of a quarter. And they only used chemo/radiation, no surgery.

Don says he will not ever go through the chemo and radiation again. And now that he has, we have been told he cannot have any more radiation because the body can only be given so much radiation.

Kawgz, chemo and radiation are horrible on the body. Don had "chemo brain"~ he didn't know what day of the week it was, he slept 23 hours a day, and the chemo infiltrated, meaning it came out of the tube and got into his skin instead of into the blood vein. His arm resembled a volcano, it swelled up to a point, then broke open as the chemo ate the top skin, leaving a big crater. He still has pain in his arm like an electric shock. It was horrible.

The radiation left him looking like a hiroshima victim, bright red second degree burns with pus sores. We had to go to wound care center to heal his radiation burns. He had terrible diahrrea and incontinence. My heart broke every day watching him go through it.

On the other hand, some people only get tired and weak. Every person reacts differently. Just read up on chemo and radiation. And let your father decide what he wants to do. If chemo and radiation are only going to prolong his life with no chance of cure, then he needs to know that.

Chemotherapy Information - Learn About Chemotherapy

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wished someone would've sat me down and explained all this to me. So I am very willing to share our lessons.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I remembered everyone in prayers today at Mass. Kind of felt good to be praying for other people. I am so mystified by the whole process, though, to be honest. By that I mean, why does one person heal and another pass on in 3 months. Oh well. Ours is not to question why...

And BTW, yesterday, the MD said the latest petscan shows NO sign of cancer for my godfather, Don.

Wow, we would've never believed that 9 months ago. His cancer was the size of a quarter. And they only used chemo/radiation, no surgery.

Don says he will not ever go through the chemo and radiation again. And now that he has, we have been told he cannot have any more radiation because the body can only be given so much radiation.

Kawgz, chemo and radiation are horrible on the body. Don had "chemo brain"~ he didn't know what day of the week it was, he slept 23 hours a day, and the chemo infiltrated, meaning it came out of the tube and got into his skin instead of into the blood vein. His arm resembled a volcano, it swelled up to a point, then broke open as the chemo ate the top skin, leaving a big crater. He still has pain in his arm like an electric shock. It was horrible.

The radiation left him looking like a hiroshima victim, bright red second degree burns with pus sores. We had to go to wound care center to heal his radiation burns. He had terrible diahrrea and incontinence. My heart broke every day watching him go through it.

On the other hand, some people only get tired and weak. Every person reacts differently. Just read up on chemo and radiation. And let your father decide what he wants to do. If chemo and radiation are only going to prolong his life with no chance of cure, then he needs to know that.

Chemotherapy Information - Learn About Chemotherapy

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wished someone would've sat me down and explained all this to me. So I am very willing to share our lessons.
Thank you Redbird! I will definitely read up on all of this. They say we are brought into people's lives for a reason...maybe we are learning this now.
You and Don have been through so much. I am so glad to hear everything is so much better now.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:16 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,957 times
My Dearest Friends,
My heart goes out to you at this time of so much sickness. I will keep each of you and your families in my prayers. I lost my father 4 years ago this May to cancer. This is a hard time for all of you. Redbird, while your words may be hard to hear, I agree that knowing what to expect can make it all a little easier.

I pray that we all can experience a 'rebirth' during this most special Resurrection weekend.

May the peace of the Risen Christ be with us all...

<><weather...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 PM

72,422 posts, read 18,206,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
My Dearest Friends,
My heart goes out to you at this time of so much sickness. I will keep each of you and your families in my prayers. I lost my father 4 years ago this May to cancer. This is a hard time for all of you. Redbird, while your words may be hard to hear, I agree that knowing what to expect can make it all a little easier.

I pray that we all can experience a 'rebirth' during this most special Resurrection weekend.

May the peace of the Risen Christ be with us all...

<><weather...
Amen! I am praying for all that have needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality