Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

1 Timothy 1:10-11

"...for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me."

Now, what questions do you have about the Bible supposedly allowing it? I know there are a lot of low-information people (ie Barack Obama) out there who like to make the claim that the Bible promotes slavery. No, neither does it promote adultery and divorce, but it does give guidelines on how some of these unpleasant things should be dealt with. Slaves at the time were often VOLUNTARY. I thought that this was worth mentioning.

Are there any further questions about this?

Last edited by OzzyRules; 02-02-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

"...for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me."

Now, what questions do you have about the Bible supposedly allowing it? I know there are a lot of low-information people out there who like to make the claim that the Bible promotes slavery. No, neither does it promote adultery and divorce, but it does give guidelines on how some of these unpleasant things should be dealt with. Slaves at the time were often VOLUNTARY. I thought that this was worth mentioning.

I am opposed to slavery as well. That said:

What translation is that? It doesn't read that way in the KJV, which, BTW, was a translation paid for by King James and tailored by the scribes to suit his whims. "Manstealers" or "kidnappers" are other words used in place of the one in your translation.

Who knows what the original words were, or their intent? It could have been originally that the intent was to eliminate those who would put others into an indentured servitude. You are entitled to believe whaever translation you prefer, or translate it yourself to suit your own preconceived notions. Just don't try to impose your beliefs on others or try to convince anyone that you have a lock on the only "truth".

Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Exodus 21:2
If thou buy an Hebrew servant....

Exodus 21:7

If a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant....

Exodus 21:20-21
And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Exodus 22:3

If he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

Leviticus 22:11
If the priest buy any soul with his money, he shall eat of it, and he that is born in his house: they shall eat of his meat

Leviticus 25:39

And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee ; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:

Leviticus 25:44-46
Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever.

Ephesians 6:5
Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.

Colossians 3:22
Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God.

1 Timothy 6:1
Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

Titus 2:9-1
Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

1 Peter 2:18

Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:

Now, what questions do you have about the Bible supposedly allowing it? I know there are a lot of low-information people out there who like to make the claim that the Bible promotes slavery. No, neither does it promote adultery and divorce, but it does give guidelines on how some of these unpleasant things should be dealt with. Slaves at the time were often VOLUNTARY. I thought that this was worth mentioning.

How does that matter? I guess if I was a Priest of a religious entity that followed the bible as my only guide, then it would matter. BTW here are other things the bible forbades

No Bastards May Enter the Church
"A bitched shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 23:2)

Women Will Never Teach or Have Authority Over Men
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

Divorce and Remarrying Are Both Considered Adultery
"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)

Even A Look Counts As Adultery
"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)

Men With Wounded Penises or No Testicles Are Not Allowed in Church
"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)

Non-Virgins Are To Be Stoned (As in, with Rocks)
"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the ***** in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

Your Family Is Your Enemy and You Are All Competing for God's Love
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:35-27)

Giving Birth to a Daughter Makes You Unclean for 66 Days
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)

If You Steal Something, or Sin in Any Way: Cut Off Your Hand
"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

Cursing At Your Parents Warrants Death
"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

If You Disobey God, You Will Eat Your Babies
If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

Pulling out
"Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord; so He took his life also." (Genesis 38:9-10)

I can really keep going for a long time, but the most important point is we are not a church, the US is compromised of people from all religions or non religions who a great big deal of them don't and shouldn't care about what the christian bible says.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
The religion forum is a few doors down. Why don't you take this thread over there?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
You can use The Bible to justify almost anything, including slavery.

Which is why I have no use for it or religion PERIOD.

I hope that one day this world will have another Enlightenment and toss all religion into the trash heap of history. This world would be a much better place.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:

Now, what questions do you have about the Bible supposedly allowing it? I know there are a lot of low-information people (ie Barack Obama) out there who like to make the claim that the Bible promotes slavery. No, neither does it promote adultery and divorce, but it does give guidelines on how some of these unpleasant things should be dealt with. Slaves at the time were often VOLUNTARY. I thought that this was worth mentioning.

Why don't you just drop it, Ozzy. your hatred is showing on your sleeves again, that is why your other thread got closed in just five pages. I am an athiest and do not give a hoot what the bible says and the bible as far as I am concerned is a book written by man, not a god. Man wrote it, man rewrote it and man has changed the original so many times that it bears little resemblance to any such document from over 2000 years ago. We were still quite primitive then and are supposed to be more advanced now, but unfortunately, there are still quite a few primitive thinking people on this earth.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You can use The Bible to justify almost anything, including slavery.

Which is why I have no use for it or religion PERIOD.

I hope that one day this world will have another Enlightenment and toss all religion into the trash heap of history. This world would be a much better place.
It won't be necessary in the Western world. The number of people actively practicing religion drops each year. Eventually, even in a place like the United States, it will become a minority of people with the national numbers being driven by the South and few people in more the other regions.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
first the verse is talking about slave traders, not slavery. and at the time slavery was actually a PAID occupation of servitude. contracts had to be made and enforced, and no free rides either. it was the buying and selling of slaves that timothy was against.

second, there is a verse in the new testament that says;

follow the laws of man unless they go against the laws of god.

and since in the law of man slavery is illegal, and said laws dont go against the laws of god, well you can figure out the rest.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Anyone else find it ironic that one of the anti-gay trolls happens to quote a modern english verse with "homosexuality" in it to discuss this topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality