Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times

Advertisements

b. frank wrote:
Some who are like me simply cease to believe because their minds are opened to the world outside of Christianity and belief in any one religion no longer makes any sense.
You have obviously grown beyond your 6th grade consciousness!

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
just want to bring this thread back to life.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 8,361 times
Default Hindu

Hi guys, I'm of the Hindu faith. My religion does accurately date the world to several billion years, but is misguided in believing that the world is supported by four elephants, standing on a turtle, that is standing on a coiled snake. Most Hindus are intelligent enough to see that this was a poetic myth. It astonishes me to see that Christians still believe in Myths like Noahs ark, and Adam and Eve.....

Peace to all of you,

Fuquere

Old 11-17-2007, 10:51 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuquere View Post
Hi guys, I'm of the Hindu faith. My religion does accurately date the world to several billion years, but is misguided in believing that the world is supported by four elephants, standing on a turtle, that is standing on a coiled snake. Most Hindus are intelligent enough to see that this was a poetic myth. It astonishes me to see that Christians still believe in Myths like Noahs ark, and Adam and Eve.....

Peace to all of you,

Fuquere
Interesting about Hindu faith...
Actually it's a myth that all Christians believe in Adam and Eve. A lot of them don't view the story literally.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
The biggest myth about Christianity is that it's a myth

Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Since I don't follow any organized religion or go to church, I'd say the biggest myth is that a person needs to follow a religion to have a relationship with God. Since I let go of the religious trappings in my life, my relationship with God has improved tremendously. I know experientially that no middle man or woman is necessary. It's very freeing to be released from the burden of belief. I discovered that belief is just a cover up for a deeper feeling of I don't really know.

blessings....Franco

Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Interesting about Hindu faith...
Actually it's a myth that all Christians believe in Adam and Eve. A lot of them don't view the story literally.
About one third of our people will say that they believe the bible literally. That's about the same percentage who still support the President.

But, congratulations on your enlightenment.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I really, *really* hope there's a '' tacked onto the end of that :P....
Well, yes. I didn't think anyone would think I was nuts enough to believe that, but you are right - there are all kinds over here.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuquere View Post

Peace to all of you,

Fuquere
I heard that there are several ideas put forth in Hinduism that seem to appeal to modern ideas.

There is the oscillating creation - the expanding of creation and then the destruction and the expansion starts again.

Yoga breathing - there is now a machine being sold to 'aid' people to mimick this to bring down blood pressure without pills.

Prana and its relationship to sunlight.

I have heard that Hinduism, at its start, was a collection of religions, but people learned, early on, to co-exist peacefully, and now there is ancient knowledge to be found there in a more pristine form because of this.

THere are, even now, many forms of your religion, some more philosophical and some relying more on ritual, no? This is somewhat similar to Christianity. Some people find it helpful in becoming better people and do not get hung up on the dogma. I even heard a clergyperson, on tv, say he questioned that Christ ever existed. Now, that would be a church that I would look into joining, but alas, regardless of what most clergy feel on a personal level, they would not admit this - after all, they are only trained for one line of work.

I don't think any religion should require that a person close his mind, but rather, it should enhance life.

I think many clergy people must be lonely.
After all, another person goes to school and gets training, practices that profession and there are usually innovations and all sorts of re-education. A person in 'our' faith is really studying a thing frozen in time, in the past. There is rarely anything new. All thoughts have already been thought of and written down. No wonder so many of them stray. No wonder some try to build financial empires and a political power base. A mind is a terrible thing to waste and the 'idle mind is the devils playground'.

It is troubling to me when, in the US, we have 'interfaith' or 'eccuminical' meetings and lectures, and often they only include Christians, Jews, and Muslims, each of which have the Old Testiment as a vital part of their religions. So open-minded of us!

Thank you for posting.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,782 times
The biggest myth about agnostics is that we're all indecisive.

Hold on, no, the biggest myth about agnostics actually is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality