Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,273 times

Advertisements

I know about the history of religion in the world. I know that it has historically been used to control people (ESPECIALLY Christianity and its use by Europeans to control and dominate non-European peoples of the world). I know it's also been used as a way of acquiring power and wealth, and still is to this day. This hasn't been more true anywhere else but the good ol' United States of America, where on a daily basis we combine two things that should never be combined - money (and not just money, but capitalism and the dog-eat-dog, get-money-any-way-you-can mentality that comes with it) and religion. Not spirituailty. Not a true, philosphical interest in being a better person and making the world a better place. But old time religion, the kind that doesn't really make you a better person so much as it does give you an identity, and tell you what to be, and what not to be.

BUT I DIGRESS..............

The real point that I'm trying to make is....................what's wrong with just loving one another? Period.................I've never liked the Beatles but John Lennon had the right idea in his song "Imagine"..................imagine a world without religion, a world without war, a world full of peace. Will it ever happen. I VERY, VERY, VERY SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT. But you know, I have to wonder - how long will it be, especially in this age of increasing globalization and global interaction, before people realize that you don't need RELIGION to do right and to love people? Love really is all you need and God exists, He just doesn't do religion. God is not religious. For God to be religious would mean that he would have to pick sides - which one of God's creations does He favor the most? Is it Christians or is it Jews? Or is it Muslims or is it Hindus? That's ridiculous. So why can't such a simple, yet powerful concept like God and love be kept simple? Do we human beings have to keep making this stuff so hard?

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Thumbs up God=Love

I believe that God=Love and the He does not need a religion.
He only needs the people to love each other the way they would love themselves.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post

For God to be religious would mean that he would have to pick sides -

Do we human beings have to keep making this stuff so hard?
I can't help but think that we, as human beings, are the ones who are so compelled to "pick sides."

...And perhaps therein lies the difficulty that you address?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by june 7th
Quote:
I can't help but think that we, as human beings, are the ones who are so compelled to "pick sides."
True, we always pick our (extended) family's over others.
No matter how wrong the family is.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

...And perhaps therein lies the difficulty that you address?
So true June, I think you hit it right on the nail. We need to belong to a group and the "tribe" we pick always has its own little rituals and mores. Human nature I guess. If there was a divine I can't imagine he/she/it being bothered about picking sides. One would expect better of an omniscient/omnipotent enlightened being.

Love is all that matter , I just wish more people would realise that. Religion is just yet another distraction.

Be kind to others, compassionate and helpful and the rest seems just so superfluous. I never understood ( or maybe understood too well) why churches, mosques, temples etc... accumulate wealth when there poor people to be fed, and a whole world of injustices to redress. Yes I know churches....etc.. are very generous but imagine how much more generous they could be if they decided to meet in a community hall and give away all their wealth !

The Catholic Church alone could probably save the whole continent of Africa on its own. I can't imagines Jesus hoarding money , and needing gold candlesticks and beautiful art treasures, or valuable real estate when there were some needy people out there needing basics stuff such as food or shelter. Sorry for the digression, one of my puzzlements at religion.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 AM

443 posts, read 1,540,992 times
We'll always seek to tribalize and segregate ourselves... but who knows: lets hope that we'll one day evolve to a point where our destructive desires subside.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
This is another one of those "If we all just [insert idea], the world would be a utopia." Expecting all of mankind to become monolithic in its beliefs and actions is naive and unrealistic, not to mention unnatural and impossible. Humans are intelligent social mammals, not instinctive social insects.

Treating each other with respect and kindness is a worthy goal, but far more important is gaining the wisdom that there will always be disagreement and hardship. One cannot force another to believe and act as he does. Once one realizes this fact of life, one is truly prepared to do his part in improving not only his own life, but the lives of others.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
We'll always seek to tribalize and segregate ourselves... but who knows: lets hope that we'll one day evolve to a point where our destructive desires subside.
Tribalization was not a "destructive desire." It was a method of survival.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by nvxplorer
Quote:
Treating each other with respect and kindness is a worthy goal, but far more important is gaining the wisdom that there will always be disagreement and hardship
Have you I ever claimed that people who love each other do not argue or have no hardship?

And for the record, I also do believe not believe in utopias.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by nvxplorer
Quote:
Tribalization was not a "destructive desire." It was a method of survival.
Tribal warfare is not about genocide. Tribes only wage war to show the other tribes not to mess with them. It acts like population control.
Genocide is only an instrument of ideology and has nothing to do with survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality