Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
yes.. I am..but what specific law..or is there more than one in which you were referring too that bothered you..or you found to be "illegal" in a sense?
Take your pick.... abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research, blue laws, anti-sodomy laws, god on our currency, in our pledge, in our schools.
The mainstream christian stance on all these issues runs in direct opposition to many aspects of both the consitution, and what i would consider basic fuman rights.

In Texas, where I live, you must 'affirm belief in god' in order to hold public office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Take your pick.... abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research, blue laws, anti-sodomy laws, god on our currency, in our pledge, in our schools.
The mainstream christian stance on all these issues runs in direct opposition to many aspects of both the consitution, and what i would consider basic human rights.

In Texas, where I live, you must 'affirm belief in god' in order to hold public office.
but the first few you named..apart from God in things..arent just backed by religious people. just out of curiosity..lets say all these laws you named were removed..what kind of country would we be living in? in your opinion?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
The mainstream christian stance on all these issues runs in direct opposition to many aspects of both the consitution, and what i would consider basic fuman rights.

How are any of those a violation of your (Constitutional) rights?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Every city has a major atheist hospital, right? Don't they? Or a food bank run by atheists? Homeless shelter? Charity of some sort?
Atheism doesn't define a group. Atheism is a lack of belonging to a group (the group that believes in God). Expecting to see a hospital named after the group that it doesn't belong to would be silly. Our Catholic hospital is called St. Mary's, not the non-Jewish hospital.

As others have mentioned, atheists do contribute to charitable causes. We just don't attach the word "atheist" to our endeavors. Believers see a connection between their faith and charity, which is why they identify their work as such. An atheist does not think this way, so why would he do the same?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:20 AM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
but the first few you named..apart from God in things..arent just backed by religious people. just out of curiosity..lets say all these laws you named were removed..what kind of country would we be living in? in your opinion?
I know you weren't asking me, but I'd answer - a FREE one, and in some cases a better one. I don't see anything wrong with the issues mentioned, and a few would actually benefit our society (like stem cell research, for example). But let's not get started on analyzing them all individually, or we'll REALLY be off-topic!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 AM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Ask a gay person that... or somebody dying from a disease that could be cured with stem-cell research... or an Atheist who doesn't want their child praying in school... or a woman who's pregnant as a result of rape... and so on.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Requiring an affirmation of God is in direct violation of the US Constitution's prohibition on religious tests to hold office.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Does anybody really believe that a religious publication is going to take a poll and spread the good word that atheists are just as likely to do good as anybody else? I hardly think so. It's not much different than the spin that political pollsters are always using.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Does anybody really believe that a religious publication is going to take a poll and spread the good word that atheists are just as likely to do good as anybody else? I hardly think so. It's not much different than the spin that political pollsters are always using.
Well that's exactly why I'm not a big fan of polls in the first place. What irritates me is that I don't have access to the questionaire, so I'm assuming that it was done on a scale of 1 to 10. For example, 1 being no emphasis at all and 10 being very strongly emphasized. Well, I probably would be more apt to put 9's on certain things on that list than 10's because 10 emphasizes to me that society absolutely cannot maintain itself without these things. But, the survery doesn't say that, so it leaves a lot up to speculation. It appears to me that the author of the study just picked up the 10's and compared them to one another. But, like I said, there is no data to support what questions were given, the format they were given in, where they found the people, etc... It wouldn't even surprise me if they waited outside bars, nightclubs, and topless joints to find the atheist in a crowd (probably a crowd of believers by the way) and ask him a question, while they waited until the Sunday service at the local Baptist church had just gotten out to ask the Christians. It doesn't mention any of this so it's all up to speculation.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
LOL. Yes, a self identified atheist hospital, food bank, homeless shelter would be extremely popular. There are plenty of secular charities, nonreligous- but they don't specifically state they are atheist. Do you have any idea that numerous atheists attend church, go through the motions, and volunteer time on behalf of religious organizations, but do not believe in god? Even Mother Teresa, of all people, committed her life to charity, yet it is fairly apparent she was an atheist. Think of the number of atheist doctors working at "St." So and So hospital. The fact that most hospitals have "Saint" in their name is more of a historical anamoly than anything else- and the name does not make them a religious organization. Atheists are villified and arguably the most hated group in America, and you are suprised that they do not spend time professing their lack of belief when they engage in charity?
Ok for the record I'm the one who thinks people are kind, generous and charitable just because they are...with or with out a belief in a higher power.

BUT where on earth did you get Mother Teresa (blessed be her soul) was an atheist? That is nonsense, she was a nun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality