Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times

Advertisements

I think I know why. And I'll tell you:

It's because some people think they're right, and others, who think otherwise, must necessarily be wrong.

What some fail to realize is -- it doesn't matter what you believe or think. What matters is what you do with your life.

Your purpose is to grow - to learn, to become just a little "more" than you are today. A little more, and a little better. A little more in tune with the universe - more aware, more willing to heed feelings and senses - not to the point of trumping reason - but to augment it.

More willing to add, than take away. More open to sharing, than hoarding.

Anyway, I think you catch my drift.

If not, well - argue with me. Moderator cut: deleted

Makes no nevermind to me.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-03-2013 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Rude comments are deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,019,479 times
But..... Without all the madness that differences in religion bring to the table, the world might just stop turning....Quit trying to slow down the race to Armaggeddon Trout.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

It's because some people think they're right, and others, who think otherwise, must necessarily be wrong.

What some fail to realize is -- it doesn't matter what you believe or think. What matters is what you do with your life.

Your purpose is to grow - to learn, to become just a little "more" than you are today. A little more, and a little better. A little more in tune with the universe - more aware, more willing to heed feelings and senses - not to the point of trumping reason - but to augment it.

If not, well - argue with me. Moderator cut: Orphaned

Sadly us Humans seem to think that the path to peaceful coexistence has to be complicated. Children seem to know how easy it is to get along with each other. When we grow up we try to find reasons not to get along with our neighbors.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-03-2013 at 05:05 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:

If not, well - argue with me. Moderator cut: Orphaned

If I think youre wrong will you still be nice to me?

Last edited by june 7th; 09-03-2013 at 05:02 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Sadly us Humans seem to think that the path to peaceful coexistence has to be complicated. Children seem to know how easy it is to get along with each other. When we grow up we try to find reasons not to get along with our neighbors.
LOL -- I have never seen such cruelty to one another as I see in kids. Many of them are not innocent little angels who are brutalized into being cruel. They are little savages who form cliques and exclude people from them for trivial and loutish reasons and say hateful and graceless things to their parents and siblings. Thank your luck if your children were compliant and easy little angels ... although, they will likely grow into adults who will not know what hit them when they run into the other kind of person. I know, I'm one of those who got broadsided.

Look, I'm not a misanthrope, I think most people are capable of being their best self, but it's a rocky road until a child learns impulse control, perspective, and delayed gratification -- all things their immature nervous systems tend to be lousy at. Some don't figure it out until well into adulthood and some just plain never figure it out.

I think peaceful coexistence seems obvious and self evident to those who are sufficiently evolved and mature, but it's complex and simple at the same time. Just be loving and patient and do the right thing. Yeah, it's that easy -- and that hard.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,986 times
Quote:

If not, well - argue with me. Moderator cut: orphaned

King got it wrong. He asked, "Can't we all just get along?"
It isn't a matter of what we can or can't do...it is a matter of what we will or won't do.

We CHOOSE to not get along.
Like King, who was a wasted, no-account, menace to society, that harmed and robbed other people, and even hurt himself to the point he caused his own death...to the police that went way beyond what they should have the night they beat him...we all make our own decisions of how to conduct ourselves.
Many are not cool...and CHOOSE to cause harm to themselves and others in all kind of ways. We CHOOSE what we do with our lives.

We CAN get along...but many just WON'T.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-03-2013 at 05:03 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
King got it wrong. He asked, "Can't we all just get along?"
It isn't a matter of what we can or can't do...it is a matter of what we will or won't do.

We CHOOSE to not get along.
Like King, who was a wasted, no-account, menace to society, that harmed and robbed other people, and even hurt himself to the point he caused his own death...to the police that went way beyond what they should have the night they beat him...we all make our own decisions of how to conduct ourselves.
Many are not cool...and CHOOSE to cause harm to themselves and others in all kind of ways. We CHOOSE what we do with our lives.

We CAN get along...but many just WON'T.
You're right. At the root of the cause is sin. We are all sinful human beings and we like things our way -- and we think we're all just peachy. We're all our own biggest fans.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:

Bingo. Two things stopped the L.A. riot 1992. The first was Rodney King making that statement. The second was Edward James Olmos picking up a broom and walking out into a parking lot filled with broken glass and debris. He did a very simple thing: he started sweeping. And he kept sweeping as he left the lot and moved down the street.

What he did at that moment in his life changed everything. People literally put down their guns and picked up brooms. He made the whole city say, "Enough." The rioting ended and the healing process of getting along began.

It was a lesson in using your life and making a difference I'll not forget if I live to be 100.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Funny how the Christian preacher sees horrid little kids doing horrid things. The Native American, with a different culture and set of beliefs, sees people (albeit small ones) we can learn from.

Great post ptsum. I totally agree.
I have a Biblical (and common sense) view of Children. Yes--I love kids....but I also realize that they human.

Do you have kids? Did you have to teach them to disobey you? Or did it come natural?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If I think youre wrong will you still be nice to me?
Most people don't share my beliefs and I'm nice to all who do me no wrong. And even to some who do.

But I'll clash with you whenever I see you post things I believe to be mean-spirited and harmful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality