Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times

Advertisements

I listened to an interesting statement several days ago, that sort of caught my curiosity.

A historian said, that, along with the original Aramaic Bible, kept under deepest secret, same happened with God's commandments. For Christians, they were "simplified", reduced, and given in the form of ten. Reason it is ten, not eleven, or nine, or fifteen, is - here comes the cherry - is because there are, actually, six hundred and thirteen of them.

6+1+3=10.

How about that?

Come to find - he was right!!

Below is a list of the 613 mitzvot (commandments). It is based primarily on the list compiled by Rambam in the Mishneh Torah, but I have consulted other sources as well. As I said in the page on halakhah, Rambam's list is probably the most widely accepted list, but it is not the only one. The order is my own, as are the explanations of how some rules are derived from some biblical passages.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
In Messianic Judaism the whole list of 613 law are not followed, still only the Shabbat and the holy days are strictly followed ,..... as this form of Judaism is Christianity,..... Which recognizes the trinity of God , Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...... Some of the followers of Messianic Judaism with none Jewish ancestors have not in the past being able to go and Live in Israel as Right to return laws , against Christians with none Jewish parents probably, Married to Jewish

Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I listened to an interesting statement several days ago, that sort of caught my curiosity.

A historian said, that, along with the original Aramaic Bible, kept under deepest secret, same happened with God's commandments. For Christians, they were "simplified", reduced, and given in the form of ten. Reason it is ten, not eleven, or nine, or fifteen, is - here comes the cherry - is because there are, actually, six hundred and thirteen of them.

6+1+3=10.

How about that?

Below is a list of the 613 mitzvot (commandments). It is based primarily on the list compiled by Rambam in the Mishneh Torah, but I have consulted other sources as well. As I said in the page on halakhah, Rambam's list is probably the most widely accepted list, but it is not the only one. The order is my own, as are the explanations of how some rules are derived from some biblical passages.

My understanding from my Jewish friends is there are 10 categories of mitzvot, the Christians ignored the mitzvot han are calling the categories labels commandments.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Ten has no meaning. The scriptures never say there are ten. Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 give a rambling scope of edicts, and later biblical interpreters, for convenience, clustered them into ten basic principles.

Stop trying to squeeze the bible into spurious numerology.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

6+1+3=10.

How about that?

Why are so many so ignorant of the orgins of Christianity?

That Judaism recognizes 613 commandments which can be sorted into ten general categories shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Here's a pretty good article on it from the same site you've already linked to for the 613 mitzvot: Judaism 101: Aseret ha-Dibrot: The "Ten Commandments"

As for your "6+1+3=10" hypothesis, it's laughable. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
Exclamation Heads up!!!

From my Cosmic Guide!> DO NOT BE UPSET IF I TAKE CANE!< (ONELOVELIGHT!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality