Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Scientology to be a cult?
YES 96 96.00%
NO 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 08:28 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
One of the telltale marks of a cult is the progressive revelation of new doctrine.
According to whose definition? I mean, I believe they're a cult, but certainly not for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 01:39 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
According to whose definition? I mean, I believe they're a cult, but certainly not for that reason.
Cult definitions vary, depending on the group and the individual.
Evangelicals will describe a “cult” as anything that deviates from Scriptures, in other words - virtually everyone else, bar themselves.
To me a cult is just a very controlling group, that uses various types of coercive control to stop people leaving.
Eg the original Churches of Christ would not be a cult, but the offshoot International Church of Christ would be.
The latter group uses coercion, via its enforcement of one over one Discipling techniques - and a very strong time and money commitment to the church of its members, and often making them cut off ties to former friends and family members.
Evangelicals would also describe the former also as a cult, due to the requirements of water baptism being necessary for salvation. (a deviation to scripture in their eyes)
Catholicism is also obviously a cult in their eyes, although anyone can come and go from the church as they please.
The Church of Scientology are not a religion based on a Godhead as such, but are an extremely controlling and aggressive group, and a cult by most secular definitions.

Last edited by Derek41; 03-03-2023 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-03-2023, 03:22 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,246,866 times
Quote:
I'm not using the term "progressive revelation" in the Christian theological sense, which means beliefs can be clarified over a long time period. I mean that not revealing everything your group believes at the outset, or at least making it public and discoverable, to new recruits is a sign of a cult. If there is "secret knowledge" revealed only after advancement through the ranks, that is a mark of a cult especially when it contradicts earlier teachings.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:39 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm not using the term "progressive revelation" in the Christian theological sense, which means beliefs can be clarified over a long time period. I mean that not revealing everything your group believes at the outset, or at least making it public and discoverable, to new recruits is a sign of a cult. If there is "secret knowledge" revealed only after advancement through the ranks, that is a mark of a cult especially when it contradicts earlier teachings.
Again, though, by whose definition? I realize that different groups have different criteria for calling another group a "cult," but I've never heard this as a criteria before.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:38 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,246,866 times
Quote:
Again, though, by whose definition? I realize that different groups have different criteria for calling another group a "cult," but I've never heard this as a criteria before.
I heard this mentioned on an evening news program years ago by an expert in cults.

Why does it matter whose definition it is? You can evaluate its value without an appeal to authority.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:18 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
What's going to be accomplished by calling them a "cult", or not. Why's it so big of a deal? Do you expect the heavens to open up and God smile down on you or something? The name-calling is really rather childish.

I'm glad I didn't participate in the stupid poll.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:00 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What's going to be accomplished by calling them a "cult", or not. Why's it so big of a deal? Do you expect the heavens to open up and God smile down on you or something? The name-calling is really rather childish.

I'm glad I didn't participate in the stupid poll.
If you don’t think they’re a cult, why not vote “no”?

Old 03-03-2023, 06:13 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
If you don’t think they’re a cult, why not vote “no”?
I never said one way or the other. I only said before that I'd avoid them and their ways. You can dislike and avoid something without having to throw out one-word labels.

People these days are obsessed with labelling. Maybe some day we'll only communicate in single word blasts, as thinking comes to a halt.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-03-2023 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2023, 06:29 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So you're trying to assume my conclusion? I never said one way or the other. I only said before that I'd avoid them and their ways. You can dislike and avoid something without having to throw out one-word labels. People these days are obsessed with that approach. Maybe some day we'll only communicate in single word blasts, as all thinking comes to a halt.
But no one here is saying Cult cult Cult cult cult cult cult cult. It’s a noun, like any other, and, like all words, is linked with other words to form sentences and express thoughts.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Scientology is a cult. Full stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality