U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM

49 posts, read 89,501 times

Advertisements

Personally, I can't say I'm offended, but I think it's an intrusion on people's privacy to come to your house to "spread the word" or push whatever beliefs you have. I have no problem with people sharing their beliefs with others, if these others ASK about it and show an interest in learning about (whatever) religion or belief they are "selling". (I use the word "selling" for lack of a better word in what I am trying to say here....). Those who want to learn more or possibly convert should seek it out on their own time and pace...it should not be pushed on anyone who does not show an interest in it. Where I live now, this situation does not happen, but when I lived in New York for many years, some would attempt to knock on my door, but when I saw them outside, I just didn't answer the door! This avoided wasting their time, as well as mine, and no-one had to worry about offending someone. Just one gal's opinion....Thanks for listening...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,138,054 times
Rapture are you originally from S.C.?
I tend to think not, I am and that is pretty
common in the Clemson, Anderson and Greenville area. I live in N.C. now and some of the churches have a visitation night and they go through the area and invite people to church and witness to them.

I have even heard neighbors say, I have live in this house for 2 months and not one person has come by to invite me to a church, and be upset about it.

I guess it is just the Bible Belt. We believe we are suppose to be a fisherman of men. (Try to take everyone we can to heaven with us) No offense

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,183,895 times
I lived in the Bible Belt for 25 years. I always had someone at the door trying to save my soul with literature, while at the same time they were down right nosey. At various times I said I was Catholic, Jewish, Agnostic, Atheist and sometimes I said no thanks and quickly shut the door. The knocks got old pretty quick and after awhile I just let the Dutchess - my 200# rptty - go to the full glass front door first. After that, it didn 't take too long before the knocks stopped.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,711,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
1. Why does a person think it's ok to ask something personal like that?
If a person is totally dedicated to something, they will stop at nothing to get it. In this case, it was trying to convert you to whatever religion he follows. With that comes disregard for things such as asking a question that is too personal. This isn't just limited to religion either. Anti-abortionists and many other groups are guilty of these things as well.
Quote:
2. Where I live everyone is religious and see each other in church all the time. Will this be a topic of conversation, why the people down the street are not religious? I know that sounds paranoid but again you can blame growing up Catholic on that.
Only time will tell.
Quote:
3. Should I be offended by this?
If it were me, I'd probably be slightly annoyed, but not offended.
Quote:
Is this an isolated case and most people that are religious really don't judge?
I would say yes. Religious extremists are a minority.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 AM

2,616 posts, read 4,238,721 times
Just tell the man your not interested in talking. End of conversation.

I am not to sure what your so offended about. People ask questions all the time. You just have to learn how to answer them. If the answer is "none of your business", then say it. Just treat the man at your door with religious liturature the same as the man with time share investments liturature. There is no difference. This person came to your door, so there is nothing to apologize about.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 PM

536 posts, read 1,048,540 times
i am very impressed with people that are so strong in their convictions that will go door to door trying to spread the "word". i'm catholic and think of myself as trying to be a good christian and having a strong spirituality still i wouldn't do it. and as someone posted in some parts of the country it's just being friendly.
i think you handled the sitiuation very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality