Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

A California creationist is challenging anyone to disprove the literal interpretation of the book of Genesis, Amanda Holpuch of the Guardian reports.

Creationism v. The Bible Bet - Business Insider

Me: theistic evolutionist: My take on Genesis 1-2:

Regarding the first part of Genesis:

I view the first part of the book of Genesis as basically saying that God created everything. It should be noted that Genesis was written for the Hebrew mindset. We (westerners) are of the Greek mindset. By Greek I mean we follow the Greek way of thinking and looking at the world. We want precise answers, facts, figures order of occurrence and dates.

The Hebrew mindset is primarily interested in concepts, with facts and figures being secondary. What mattered to the Hebrews is that God created the Universe. The order and time of the events were not important to the Hebrew mind.

As I see it you run into problems applying Greek thinking to a Hebrew document. That is why the creation story does not make sense to the scientific mind. Of course we always must bear in mind that God is not limited to obey the laws of nature. So, if God wanted to create the universe in six, 24 hour days He could.

For me science gives us the How. Religion gives us the Why.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A California creationist is challenging anyone to disprove the literal interpretation of the book of Genesis, Amanda Holpuch of the Guardian reports.

I view the first part of the book of Genesis as basically saying that God created everything. It should be noted that Genesis was written for the Hebrew mindset. We (westerners) are of the Greek mindset. By Greek I mean we follow the Greek way of thinking and looking at the world. We want precise answers, facts, figures order of occurrence and dates.

The Hebrew mindset is primarily interested in concepts, with facts and figures being secondary. What mattered to the Hebrews is that God created the Universe. The order and time of the events were not important to the Hebrew mind.

As I see it you run into problems applying Greek thinking to a Hebrew document. That is why the creation story does not make sense to the scientific mind. Of course we always must bear in mind that God is not limited to obey the laws of nature. So, if God wanted to create the universe in six, 24 hour days He could.

Moderator cut: deletedIf he were serious it would be more like this... In 1964, Randi put up $1,000 of his own money payable to anyone who could provide objective proof of the paranormal. Since then, the prize money has grown to the current $1,000,000. James Randi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Challenge Info

Last edited by june 7th; 04-02-2013 at 05:58 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Seriously? This creationist wants someone to prove a negative? He's going to be waiting a really long time.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Seriously? This creationist wants someone to prove a negative? He's going to be waiting a really long time.
In this particular bet he's asking for proof that genesis is either bunk or true. A fair question. Not the same thing.

Should be easy enough, if it is the case.

Science proves incorrect theories are incorrect all the time.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
In this particular bet he's asking for proof that genesis is bunk. A fair question. Not the same thing.

On other words, prove that it's not true?
Why doesn't this creationist just prove that it is? After all, proving a positive is infinitely easier than proving a negative. Should be a piece of cake, no?
(And the James Randi Foundation will give him a MILLION dollars to do it!)

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
In this particular bet he's asking for proof that genesis is either bunk or true. A fair question. Not the same thing.

Not at all....The money would go to whoever can prove that genesis is NOT true....That is the typical creationist ploy of trying to have someone prove a myth is bunk......I very much doubt that anyone with a brain will participate in such a fraudulent challenge.

Why genesis is bunk....How do I even begin? This will save me wasting my time on nonsense... History Doesn't Repeat...: Biblical errors: why Genesis is not just wrong, but hopelessly wrong

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:

I'm not religious as you know but I just love what you said here. I think you should take on Genesis!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
I just think its pretty easy to prove generally as far as proof in loyalty to the ideas isn't it, nothing to really stand in ones way unless you guys have secret pics we haven't seen. lol Predictions have gone by the waist side for ions. Nothing literal is united between faith. You don't believe yourselves. Seems pretty easy to disprove.

How does one prove Santa isn't real, um, wait for the presents?

Last edited by june 7th; 04-02-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
"It turns out that there is nothing in the universe [that] is evolving — everything is devolving, everything is going in the opposite direction."

The above shows you that the guy does not know Moderator cut: deleted he is talking about. The opposite direction - huh! What direction is that? So he believes in evolution just a different direction of evolution. LMAO.

Furthermore, how is science going to prove this verse of Genesis - 'In the begining God created the heavens and the earth.' He can't even get past verse 1.

He's a moron who adds names to his list of no takers and then pounds his chest as if he has accomplished something significant - no one is stupid enough to fall for this circus act. Funny thing is other creationists are singing his tune.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-03-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Evidence is evidence.

What part of my OP do you not get?

I don't believe this...I say that I don't think a literal view of genesis is not true(with a proof) and then the atheists are afraid...can't man up to a simple challenge to support their opinion. Then you dance around and say you can't prove a negative???

You guys are hopeless.
That is not what I said...I said that a myth cannot be disproven to creationists, no matter how much evidence one throws at it, that it is not possible according to the accepted laws of physics, creationists simply blind themselves to that evidence...They do not want reality, but prefer the fantasy of said myth...You say you have evidence that genesis is true....I'm waiting for it and have been waiting for more than 50 years. I don't believe you for some reason.

By the way did you even bother to look at the site I linked to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality