Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 06:47 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times

Advertisements

I have spent a lot of time reading the "God sacrificed his only son...so what?" thread and it has left me wondering, how do I know that my father loved me? You see, he passed away over 3 years ago, and now I seem to be feeling some doubt about his love. When I was a child, I remember feeling that he loved me. Gosh, I can remember how wonderful it was to be daddy's little girl. He was a good man. A hard working, educated man. I've got to admit, sometimes I would get mad at him because he wouldn't give me everything that I thought I wanted. But in hindsight, I can see that I always had everything that I needed. He was always there for me when I needed him. No matter how big or how small my problem, he was always there. Even during the times that I knew that I had let him down, he was always there waiting with open arms.

But now that I am an adult... smarter, wiser, able to question things, how do I know? What proof do I have that my father loved me? I'm going to do a google search. I hope that I can find something there. Certainly there must be a mathematical equation or some scientific study that will prove my father's love. Or maybe it was just his existance that proves his love for me. But then, I know other people whose father passed away while they were very young. They have no memory of their father. They don't even remember what he looked like. I can't imagine that; not knowing what my father looked like...not having him there to help me through life.

If I am having doubt, I wonder how a person who never even saw their father knows that he loved them? How do we know? How do YOU know?

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
That's quite a personal and interesting question. My own Father died about twenty years ago and he never said the words "I love you" but I know in my heart that he did. He was a very timid individual and didn't express himself very well but I realize that he had his own way of showing his emotions in a way I didn't see at the time. I don't know your situation but it's quite possible that you just weren't able to communicate even though the love was there.
I'm just expressing my personal thoughts about your question and am just offering a personal point of view.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Weather, I am sure that your father loved you very much..If there is a picture somewhere of him seeing you and holding you for the first time, I am sure he was gazing at you in amazement and with tears in the most joyful event in his life..That was the moment of bonding, just as you did with your babies and your husband also did. If you could have a picture of him the first time you said "DaDa" you would have seen the pride in his face..If there is a picture of him as he watched you in pain from a simple bike spill you would have seen the pain in his face as he couldn't stand the sight of his girl, crying..If you had a picture of him the first time you went to the prom and he saw his little girl was growing up, you would have seen the fear of losing you along with his protective love...Weather, I am sure he loved you and would want you to know that..There is no scientific study to prove love..Love is our very strongest emotion and as a christian you know that love is the most precious gift that God gave us..Some people may not wear their love on their sleeves and go around hugging and kissing their children all the time..Love is an action word ..Actions sometimes speak so much louder than words. Remember the song by Holly Dunn "Daddys Hands"? It is beautiful...I was not sure if it was legal to post the lyrics here...

Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I know my father loved me because he accepted me the way I am.
The only thing he wanted me to do was to get an education. I finished high school and went to college but did not finish it. My father never pushed me to finish college or showed dissatisfaction for not finishing college (although I know he would have been very proud of me if I did).
His actions has always been proof for me that he has always loved me.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Weather you described your father as the father I always wished I had. Trust me he loved you because if he hadn't he wouldn't have been there for you at all.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Default Your father, your Father, and...

Analogies.

June has been following this thread with great interest, and please forgive the fact that the atheist among us just couldn't resist...

When I was a child, I can vividly recall attending Sunday School and learning how God the Father was the all protective, all loving God who watched over all of his creation. I found it a very interesting notion, albiet, one that I couldn't quite connect to, perhaps due to the fact that it seemed intangible, along with the fact of who my own father was.

It always struck me that both types of "love" (my father's and the Father's) were somehow connected, but different. One struck me as being utterly abstract, while the other a bit more real. Perhaps even as a child, in understanding the one, I came a bit closer to understanding the other...

In response to the original querie posted: No, neither love from either father can be scientifically proven. But that's just the point, I suspect; it should not need to be...

And, for what it's worth, I thank Weather for posting this thread. Every autumn, as the weather turns cooly brisk, and the leaves turn vibrant, only to sadly let go from the trees and fall, I cannot help but think of my father. The anniversary of his death was one week ago today. And in keeping with the thoughts and metaphors and analogies of this post and thread, I cannot help but include the following by way of my response:

As I sit here typing this, I am looking at a photograph that I framed of my father and I. In it, he is looking at me, and we are both smiling. His smile bespeaks unquestionable love. It was taken as he was walking me down the isle, "giving me away" the day I was married. After he died, two months later, I took that photo, along with the following line from a little known poem, and framed it. I suspect little else will address what I hold in my heart, and wish to say, in answer to this thread:

"...now, as life begins to fade
And I stand by my dear one's grave
I know I may knock at heaven's gate,
For wasn't I loved by you?"

...Still your "little girl," Daddy, forever and always in my heart.
-June

Last edited by june 7th; 10-28-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Analogies.

"...now, as life begins to fade
And I stand by my dear one's grave
I know I may knock at heaven's gate,
For wasn't I loved by you?"

...Still your "little girl," Daddy, forever and always in my heart.
-June

As always, well put, June. You do have a way with words and understanding.

I want to say 'thank you' to those of you who posted a reply. Your words were heartfelt and very kind. There were some very strained times during the few months that it took cancer to consume my father's final days. These times have left a lingering sadness in my heart. But I know without a doubt that my father loved me (perhaps, if only as well as he knew how). He was my daddy and I was his child. No matter the distance between us, I know that he would have given his life for mine.

He is my Father and I am His child.

May we meet again one day in eternity.

God bless us all...

Weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality