Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I'm pretty interested in this movie - not for anything to do with religion.
It's based on a book that I like.
Side note: I also wanted to see Chronicles of Narnia until I read so much about its underlying Christian message. I want none of that in my favorite childrens' adventure tales.
Fair enough, b. frank, and this actually helps affirm my post to GCSTroop above. Nothing wrong with it, just exercising your right to decide. Just like I am on this movie. Now I might watch it myself, just for my information. But no, not my kids. Not yet anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Default If Harry Potter offends your Christianity...

then The Golden Compass definitely will also.
Very similar, but the GC is quite a bit darker.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
If I remember correctly, you don't have kids, but lets pretend you did.

Would you go let them see a movie who's primary message was 'Believe this way or burn in hell forever'?

Cuz if you wouldn't, then you understand this stance.

I don't remember any of the Jesus films taking a 'You're going to hell' stance so many kids have seen the films that depict the gospels. But no, I wouldn't want my kids watching a movie whose goal is "to kill God in the eyes of children." Matter of fact, I'm not sure if I was an atheist I'd want my kids watching something like that. It appears to be a subtle way of brain washing kids into what the author wants them to believe.

You can call it 'subtle indoctrination', I call it 'parenting'.
I think if I had kids I would have no choice but to let them watch a "You're going to hell" stance. It would at least open their eyes to the fact that there are people different than their parents who have different beliefs as well. One of my goals as a parent (if I ever become one) is to make sure that my kids are given an education about the world with as little bias as possible. I suppose the tough part is going to be the "What do you believe, Daddy?" question. As far as letting them watch the movie in the OP, I suppose at the time they are skeptical enough to wonder about Santa (sorry Irishmom I promise I'm not trying to pick on Santa, I really am not) would be a suitable age for them to wonder about other things. I want to give my kids the gift of skepticism, yet I want them to make these types of decisions for themselves with as little urging as possible from me. I didn't say it was going to be easy but I refuse to allow my kids to be blinded by a certain thought process regardless of what it was. If they wanted to be a Christian, fine, if they wanted to be a Muslim, fine, Agnostic? Fine. But, they will make the decision based on ALL, or at least as much as I can provide them with in terms of rationale and logic, while at the same time trying to maintain neutrality on my behalf.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, we will read the Bible, and the Qu'ran and other pertinent religious works, or at least I will suggest that they read them before they make a decision.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think if I had kids I would have no choice but to let them watch a "You're going to hell" stance. It would at least open their eyes to the fact that there are people different than their parents who have different beliefs as well. One of my goals as a parent (if I ever become one) is to make sure that my kids are given an education about the world with as little bias as possible. I suppose the tough part is going to be the "What do you believe, Daddy?" question. As far as letting them watch the movie in the OP, I suppose at the time they are skeptical enough to wonder about Santa (sorry Irishmom I promise I'm not trying to pick on Santa, I really am not) would be a suitable age for them to wonder about other things. I want to give my kids the gift of skepticism, yet I want them to make these types of decisions for themselves with as little urging as possible from me. I didn't say it was going to be easy but I refuse to allow my kids to be blinded by a certain thought process regardless of what it was. If they wanted to be a Christian, fine, if they wanted to be a Muslim, fine, Agnostic? Fine. But, they will make the decision based on ALL, or at least as much as I can provide them with in terms of rationale and logic, while at the same time trying to maintain neutrality on my behalf.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, we will read the Bible, and the Qu'ran and other pertinent religious works, or at least I will suggest that they read them before they make a decision.
Well, Troop, for those Christians that tend to be a bit "universalistic" they might want to expose their kids to different doctrines and let them decide. I will tell you that I did not want my son to take a different path than Christianity because, quite frankly, being the "fundie" that I am I felt his eternal destiny hinged on accepting Christ. Neutrality, therefore, was not an option I wanted to embrace.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
It is the first movie of a trilogy based on book series. The author is an atheist and is admittingly trying to influence children against God in a very sly way. According to the author, he is trying to "kill God in the eyes of children."
I call this "surrounding the camp of the saints".

And I agree with you, kaykay.. (re: your above post) I see no need to give my children "other options". There are enough voices in the world that are calling already.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
I'll agree with Ms. Charlotte,that is a movie that I would skip also.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

I don't think you can raise kids without a bias. You said so yourself "Dad, there's the kids in my class who were talking about a festival at the church they go to. Can I go? And, dad, who's Jesus?"

I'm not going to start preaching, but I had a class this weekend and I was teaching about where Jesus asked His disciples "Who do you say I am?"

I think that's a question we are all going to get asked and we are all going to have to answer. You can't answer that question unbiasedly(new word), but you will have to answer it.

That's what I am trying to say. If your kids ever started down the belief road, whether it's at 7 or 27, you will challenge them with your reasons for your unbelief just like you challenge us. And they will have to defend why they believe, just like we do.

I'm not finding fault, I'm just saying 'Let's be honest'.

You're kid gets saved, starts listening to Christian music and begging you to go to church with them every Sunday morning and your tolerance for a 'free thinking child' will go out the window and your bias will creep in. Just like mine would if my kid came home and said "I no longer believe the lie you've tried to sell me my whole life.' I'd be the same way. Biased to the 'nth'.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
I expect my children to question their faith when they are older. That's natural.
They will meet many atheists in their lives, I'm sure. And hopefully, I will have equipped them to deal with those situations and their faith will remain strong. But I'm not going to support a movie with a specific agenda to change the minds of my children. That's just not smart parenting.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. prov 22:6

I also want my children to know what other people believe..I dont want them to ignorant of others beliefs, but I also want them to know the difference in what others believe vs. the Bible.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
my last .02.. by all means.. take the word of the head of the Catholic League. He sounds like a great guy..

President of the Catholic LeagueWilliam A. Donohue

Against Asians
On a September 25, 2002, appearance on MSNBC's Donahue hosted by Phil Donahue (no relation to the Catholic League president) William Donohue hypothesized about “a Columbia University ping pong team made of Asians” and used the word “****” eight times.

Against Jews
On a December 8, 2004 appearance on MSNBC's Scarborough Country, Donohue stated “Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular.” When challenged on his statements by Shmuley Boteach, who was also appearing on the program, Donohue shouted “Who's making the movies?! Who's making the movies?! Who's making the movies?! The Irishmen?!” He later added “I'm talking about secularists in Hollywood. They're not Rastafarians. They're Jews.” Later in the program, he was invited to disclaim Jewish blood guilt for the Crucifixion, but instead sarcastically stated “It was the Puerto Ricans that did it.” No Catholic Church official, including those who previously endorsed the Catholic League, has reversed this position or spoken specifically against Donohue or these anti-Semitic statements since they were made.

Against gays
On a February 27, 2004 appearance on MSNBC's Scarborough Country, Donohue said, “Name for me a book publishing company in this country, particularly in New York, which would allow you to publish a book which would tell the truth about the gay death style. There are certain things that the left won't tolerate. They are censorial at heart.”

On a April 11, 2005 appearance on MSNBC's Scarborough Country, Donohue said, “The gay community has yet to apologize to straight people for all the damage that they have done — for contaminating the blood supply in New York City and around the country. It seems to me that gay people in this country should apologize to the rest of the people.”

He sounds like a real winner..

Catholic League (U.S.) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I attacking the source.. you darn right I am. This man seems to drip with hypocrisy.

In the end.. it was the author of the BOOK who had the supposed "agenda". The movie has been watered down.

Some people thought they saw a different holy meaning in the "Matrix". I saw a great movie... thats it. You see.. what you WANT to see.

-exiting stage left..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality