Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
You need to do whatever works for you. Good luck and stay strong.
thank you...it's been a great day so far...I can do this fairly easily and just seeing how much I smoke/don't smoke in black and white helps me stay motivated as well. It is a challange and I am always up for a challange. I actually find that I don't think so much about when was the last one I smoked, etc. after a while, and when the urge hits, I check the paper, if I feel strongly I will smoke, if not, I will walk away.

This is how I quit when I found out I was pregnant, and was actually given to me by a doctor oh my 20 years ago. Of course, I had every intention of starting back after the baby was born and did, but now that I am older and hopefully wiser, I have decided to lay them down for good.

doing great today....how bout everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Aiangel, you are doing what you feel best for you and we all support your way..I have heard again and again that the natural way is best , but I think it takes a real special,dedicated personality..like you..Go, girl

Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Aiangel, you are doing what you feel best for you and we all support your way..I have heard again and again that the natural way is best , but I think it takes a real special,dedicated personality..like you..Go, girl
Yes, it certainly IS possible to quit without the help of any prescriptions etc. I shared with you that my mother quit after 50 years of heavy smoking and she didn't use any aids to do it.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 AM

still doing great. You know, I remember back when I quit before, and it was not hard at all once I got started. And, I am finding that to be the case this time as well. It is just a matter of will power to begin with then just finding something to do when the urge hits you, saying ok, yep want one, now can I just go 10 more minutes? and before you know it, 20 minutes have passed. Most times this is possible, some times at the beginning it is not. But when you get to a certain point, it is so very easy to forget the dratted things. But I find that when I get to 10 or less I quit easily because I get so sick and dizzy.

It's looking great today.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Default To all the BBW's

This is for all you gals who have a problem with all the anorexic models

Losing weight should be about health, not what society thinks is beauty

Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Hey guys, just checking in to tell ya that I am doing way better than I thought I would today, and I didn't even have to try really! Just was super busy and didn't even think about smoking for long periods of time.

Would you believe I have cut what I normally smoke in 1/2 today? Just by being conscience of timing. I am so happy, and do not feel deprived. Actually this might sound dumb but I can breathe a bit better tonight, it is either the antiobotics or hopefully it might be because I have not smoked as much either!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
Ok guys need some help here. Had a major slip last night and had two cigarettes. I know almost 7weeks free from it but well there you go. My kids have been a major pain lately well last 6 months. I have a 11, 10 and 2.5 year olds. The older boys constantly fight. I mean all the time from the moment they wake up til they go to bed. Oldest has developed an attitude that just won't stop. He talks back all the time. You ask/tell him to do something and you haven't even finished what I wanted to say and he is already talking back with something nasty. I am screaming all the time and haven't had a day in the last 4 months where I am not angry about something. Add to this we moved to Tx almost a year ago and still haven't made any friends, my husband and I haven't had any time together alone in I don't know how long. We have gone out once in the last year by ourselves. And to top it off, hubby has to go to New Orleans today for a business trip and I so wanted to go with him. No sitter, don't get to go. ARgh!!!! So anyway.......help. Last night was the breaking point. I slipped. I need some support here.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Just wanted to drop by to say, "congrats" to all of you who are trying to quit smoking. I quit last July with the help of the patch. The patch allowed my lungs and throat to clear. After a few weeks I was using a lower nicitine dosage patch. Finally I became tried of scraping the glue off my skin and ditched the patch.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Ok guys need some help here. Had a major slip last night and had two cigarettes. I know almost 7weeks free from it but well there you go. My kids have been a major pain lately well last 6 months. I have a 11, 10 and 2.5 year olds. The older boys constantly fight. I mean all the time from the moment they wake up til they go to bed. Oldest has developed an attitude that just won't stop. He talks back all the time. You ask/tell him to do something and you haven't even finished what I wanted to say and he is already talking back with something nasty. I am screaming all the time and haven't had a day in the last 4 months where I am not angry about something. Add to this we moved to Tx almost a year ago and still haven't made any friends, my husband and I haven't had any time together alone in I don't know how long. We have gone out once in the last year by ourselves. And to top it off, hubby has to go to New Orleans today for a business trip and I so wanted to go with him. No sitter, don't get to go. ARgh!!!! So anyway.......help. Last night was the breaking point. I slipped. I need some support here.
Sounds like you are under some major "mother stress!" I can remember a couple of times with my teen-age boy that I "went shopping!" My philosophy was/is/tends to be "when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!" (Probably equivalent with your smoking to ease stress!) It may be difficult with the little one there, but I would suggest you try to carve out a little time just for yourself during the day to have a moment of peace if possible. (Easier said than done with kids I know!) Kids DO tend to start getting a "snarky" attitude at about 11. I didn't always do this, but I would try to nip it in the bud. (There really CAN be consequences for disrepectful talk...if you know what I mean!

Hopefully, some of the smokers and former smokers will chime in about how they handled stress and the temptation to deal by smoking. I will be praying that your "road is a little smoother today" and that you have more peace. I do also remember moving to Dallas the first year. It was a time I was very homesick. I know how that can be. Just kinda takes time to acclimate and meet some friends and settle in. Sorry about the trip. That is disappointing.
But kids are such a treasure and blessing. I know that more now than I ever did. All I can suggest is that when it's tough, try to see it that way and look at the "big picture" if that makes any sense!

Hang in there, moving! You've done VERY well! You can get back on the wagon! We're pulling for ya!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
Thanks for the kind words kaykay. I do love my children they are just very trying right now. I think I need some time away from them just an hour or two. I stay at home with them and I just never seem to get away from here. I am either dealing with them or cleaning. Woo HOO. I think I have just hit a breaking point here, ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality