Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM

132 posts, read 244,778 times

Advertisements

I reckon the real test of courage would be for a naked lady to stroll into a MOSQUE ........ !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
If we dress up,it should be for the Lord and not to impress others in the congregation.I feel we should come with a neat appearance and clean clothes to church.We should not dress up to draw attention to ourselves,but we should come to church with our focus on God.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,181,956 times
I used to attend a Jehovah's Witness church and the men wore suits and the women wore dresses. It was an unspoken requirement.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
I used to attend a Jehovah's Witness church and the men wore suits and the women wore dresses. It was an unspoken requirement.
Required by whom though, God or Man ?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 AM

320 posts, read 296,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In "my day" I remember wearing a suit and tie every time I went to Church. Now when I go people wear tired torn tee shirts and faded jeans. Maybe this is not the case all over the country. Maybe "down south" people still have some self respect and wear their Sunday best in Church.

What do you think about casual clothes vs dressing up for Church? How is it at your place of worship?
I live "down south" in Tyler, TX, which is about an hour west of Dallas. People here still wear dresses and suits to church over here.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 AM

320 posts, read 296,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
If we dress up,it should be for the Lord and not to impress others in the congregation.I feel we should come with a neat appearance and clean clothes to church.We should not dress up to draw attention to ourselves,but we should come to church with our focus on God.
I agree, although I make it a point to dress nice anywhere I go in public. You'll find me wearing kaki (sp?) and button-up shirts in public anywhere I go, and I'm only 20! Dress for the future you want for yourself, I say!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
I feel people should wear what they usually wear going about thier daily business. If they wear a suit and tie every day, then that is what they should go to church with. If they go about in casual attire every day, then that is what they should appear in church with. Otherwise, putting on a suit and tie is kind of like putting on a false covering...to impress others. God looks on the heart, so we absolutely should not judge others by what clothing they wear. There are quite a few people who don't own a suit and tie, and can't afford them...

Bud

Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
I live "down south" in Tyler, TX, which is about an hour west of Dallas. People here still wear dresses and suits to church over here.
Well, apparently, not everywhere even in Tyler! We visited our former music pastor's new church in Tyler this summer. (Rose Heights Church of God) I was a little concerned about wearing slacks as I often do to church at home, but we found they dressed casually in that congregation too. I guess it depends on the church as well as the locale.

We are visiting Tyler again this week-end, SDBreaux. Hope the rose garden is in bloom!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
I reckon the real test of courage would be for a naked lady to stroll into a MOSQUE ........ !
Perhaps that might be the day I start attending a mosque

Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 PM

132 posts, read 244,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I was a little concerned about wearing slacks as I often do to church at home, but we found they dressed casually in that congregation too. I guess it depends on the church as well as the locale.
Perhaps it depends on how desperate they are to attract or retain a congregation - and keep the coffers filled.
It may not be the case in Yankland but here in AUS all the traditional mainstream churches are struggling - except perhaps the Catholics.
You can buy dead churches for conversion to houses or restaurants or whatever for peanuts.

And whilst some of the Fundie Pentacostal types seem to be thriving, overall, church attendance has diminished to the proportion of a flea on an elephant's rump.

Long may it continue - says this smiling agnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality