Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 AM

24 posts, read 75,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
Bible-bashing nudists - www.smh.com.au
Tampa, Florida: The first nudist resort created primarily for Christians in the United States is due to open in Florida and its cofounder claims that he can provide passages in the Bible where nudity is prominently mentioned.

AND if you Google "nudist church services" there are HUNDREDS of 'em !!
lol...i just dont see how they can say its a Christian nudist resort..thats just wrong in so many ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Yesterday, my DH made a comment about a young adult in our church who used to dye her hair blue. I said "Yes, but she is in church every Sunday"! My kids wear jeans to church. I don't like it, but I'd rather they be there than not come b/c I have said they can't wear jeans.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 PM

132 posts, read 244,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline2 View Post
lol...i just dont see how they can say its a Christian nudist resort..thats just wrong in so many ways
Now don't get that adrenalin pumping !
As a confirmed agnostic I don't care in the least if Christians choose to worship in tails and toppers, neck-to-knees, men in dresses, feather boas - or stark naked.
And as cited above, Yeshua didn't seem to care either -
" ...take no thought ....for what ye shall put on....the body is more than raiment... "

I'm no nudist (or naturist). Geriatric, fat, bald and ugly is NOT a good look. But it has nothing to do with nudity being 'dirty' or 'sinful' or any of that mindless, puritanical nonsense.
I would have thought that in the 21st Century even the most unthinking fundamentalists would have outgrown that sort of negative conditioning.

A bunch of mature adults who wish to get together on weekends unencumbered by rags, to play sport, eat together, read, build, walk, swim........
but also perhaps to worship -
and that is
"....just wrong in so many ways... ".

Why ?

Old 11-12-2007, 04:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Like I said earlier I'd sure think about attending a nudist church but I'm afraid that the sight of a naked MontanaGuy would send the congregation scurrying for the exits.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Monty, is that you Dude ?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 AM

124 posts, read 374,870 times
I think that if a person is going to practice a religion, it should be less of a fashion show and more about principles. I really get pissed when people try to enforce a dress code. I don't see a problem as long as people are modest to the local social standards.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM

and I guess in a nudist environment, naked would be modest.....

Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In "my day" I remember wearing a suit and tie every time I went to Church. Now when I go people wear tired torn tee shirts and faded jeans. Maybe this is not the case all over the country. Maybe "down south" people still have some self respect and wear their Sunday best in Church.

What do you think about casual clothes vs dressing up for Church? How is it at your place of worship?
God doesn't care what you wear when you come to his house, just as long as it doesn't go overboard.

I've seen ladies wear very skimpy attires when attending church, and that's definitely NOT appropriate. But jeans and t-shirts are definitely not a problem, for me at least. I wear business casual attire whenever I go to church, but like I said, God doesn't care if you wear expensive suits, or faded jeans, what counts the most is what's in your heart.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

" God doesn't care .............. "

Gee thanks Mikey.
I really really LOVE those folk who are privy to the innermost thoughts of "GOD".

Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
I think that if a person is going to practice a religion, it should be less of a fashion show and more about principles. I really get pissed when people try to enforce a dress code. I don't see a problem as long as people are modest to the local social standards.
That's how I have always felt. Back in my early twenties, I used to attend this little Baptist church, (I think it was Independent), and on Wednesday nights, because I had to go by myself, (my husband worked 2nd shift at the time), with my little girl in tow, I wore slacks. Now, mind you, I did say slacks, not jeans. I didn't want to offend the older ladies in the church, but I also wanted to wear pants, because if I had a flat tire, or a break-down of some sort, I knew it would be easier to take care of things, (this was in the early 80's, before most folks had cell phones). So, I wore those slacks, a nice blouse, and a nice pair of shoes. Nothing tight, nothing low-cut, very modest. One evening, after church, the pastor took me to one side, and asked me not to wear my slacks anymore, because apparently, despite my modest dress, the ladies were still offended by my slacks! I was totally flabbergasted, and very hurt! Because of my younger age, and my childhood training of being respectful to my elders, I didn't say anything to those ladies. I did stop attending that church, and eventually found a different church to attend. I've often wondered if these ladies, (and others like them, at all churches), ever realize how many people they chase away from the church, because of this type of legalism?

At all subsequent churches, over the years, I became rather casual, but always still modest, in my dress. I wore jeans, cowboy boots or tennis shoes, or whatever else the heck I wanted to. Never again have I allowed someone else to dictate to me what to wear. As long as I am neat, clean, and modest, I know I am fine. I no longer attend church, but if I did, my attitude would be the same, (and chances are, my mouth would be a shade bit bigger), if a pastor, or any catty "ladies" made comments about my attire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality