Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:52 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
...Well I answer to a HIGHER AUTHORITY! GOD... Furthermore, the Bible defines "fool" not me. However u do speak as a "blind fool". The Godly and the foolish are not brothers...they have different fathers. And my Father, GOD has already judged yours... Jesus has already been to hell, so I won't have to...and HE won't be making that trip again, but it sounds like u will. If u have a problem with the Word of God, I suggest u take it up with HIM. HE is the Authority behind the Word I speak.
what if i told you the higher authority you answer to is satan..or ignorance...or w/e the destructive force in the universe is..sounds like ignorance is the best word for it in your case...and will send you to hell...once more ..we are presently in hell.....you probably wouldn't accept it...just as people..who don't believe in what you do...actually you talking with such bold ignorance is driving everyone that doesn't believe in what you do away from believing in what you do ..which you claim to be christianity...effectively condemning christianity...i wish you to stop ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:56 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
In my opinion the existience of Jesus has little to do with "hell fire and brimstone preaching" I responded to specific remarks made by a poster. Why should u have a problem with that? And why did u not address that posters remarks. Are u biased against me because I am a believer? I know GOD exists. I am certain of it. I am a believer. If my belief offends u, I will leave u to be offended, though it is not my goal to be offensive...just truthful.
I don't have a problem with you replying to a specific remark. But, I do have a problem with telling someone that the God they worship has already been judged, and keep in mind that you know very little about this person's beliefs. So, how can you say that his God has been judged? Again, I could see no other implied meaning in your statement(s) than his God was meant to be satan. That is what I have a problem with. And, that to me, qualifies as fire and brimstone preaching. It's not your belief in Jesus that I have a problem with. It's the "My belief is right, you're wrong, and there's no talking about it because you worship the devil." type of attitude that I dislike. It is what herds people from religion in the first place. Also, I cannot help but notice since you did not address that part of my response than that is in fact what you were implying. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that either way, you implied to him that whatever he believes in is wrong. Don't you see that that is the fundamental problem with religion? That is the exact sort of mentality that causes people to fly planes into buildings!

As I said, your belief does not offend me. I understand you feel you are certain of it, but that doesn't make it any more true to me or to him. As was previously mentioned, the Heaven's Gate Cult thought the Hale Bop Comet was going to take them on a spaceship ride to heaven if they drank poison and put plastic bags over their head. They were CERTAIN just as you are. In fact, they were so certain they killed themselves for it. It doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it believable, but they are entitled to that just as you are. All I ask is to step back for a minute, realize that this is also a human being, entitled to his/her own thoughts and beliefs, and that perhaps they may have something worth listening to instead of a complete condemnation of their beliefs.

Oh, and I did not address the posters' remarks because I agreed with them.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
I thought that having a strong spiritual belief system would bring a person inner peace, joy and contentment. Plus acceptance of others, understanding, patience, love, etc.

Too often what we see is ongoing debates, criticism and lack of acceptance.

Religion/spiritual beliefs are personal choices.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
what if i told you the higher authority you answer to is satan..or ignorance...or w/e the destructive force in the universe is..sounds like ignorance is the best word for it in your case...and will send you to hell...once more ..we are presently in hell.....you probably wouldn't accept it...just as people..who don't believe in what you do...actually you talking with such bold ignorance is driving everyone that doesn't believe in what you do away from believing in what you do ..which you claim to be christianity...effectively condemning christianity...i wish you to stop ......
I feel quite sorry for this poster, he has through no fault of his own been attacked needlessly. For my own point as an Atheist, the sight of people who claim to be Christian making fools of themselves, as if this will get them through the pearly gates, makes it all seem rather comic. Different religions are just as valid as each other, they are all equal, so respect for each persons views is a must otherwise all religiosity will lose.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,232 times
Default Ground Zero

Wow. I am reminded of Job. I am reminded of Nero who had the Christians slaughtered. I am reminded of all the atrocities committed during the crusades. World wars 1 & 2, Vietnam, Cambodia, and now in Iraq and Afganistan. I am so sorry that many turn their back on belief in God. But I sure do understand WHY! Is it any wonder that God gave to we wicked humans His only begotten Son, in order that forgiveness of sins might be attained? Reading the Old Testament, we see God practically pleading through His prophets for Israel to stop being so downright sinful, hurting each other and their neighbors! Finally, it was time to give His Son. They killed Him too. It is our fellow man who fell. It is we, albeit sometimes through our own government leaders, that hatred culminates in distardly deeds. God is displeased - but already intervened by way of handing over Jesus to human beings. It is easy, seeing the misery around us, to believe He does not exist. When mankind (you and I) leave love out of the equation, what remains? So I conclude by pleading with each of us to reach out not only toward one another, but to God as well. Peace.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM

366 posts, read 540,668 times
Cheguevara, you wrote:

"How do you know....considering you only have 'faith' to go on?"

How do you (or anyone else), define faith? And how does it relate to belief?

(thinking about starting another thread on this question...)

Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I don't have a problem with you replying to a specific remark. But, I do have a problem with telling someone that the God they worship has already been judged, and keep in mind that you know very little about this person's beliefs. So, how can you say that his God has been judged? Again, I could see no other implied meaning in your statement(s) than his God was meant to be satan. That is what I have a problem with. And, that to me, qualifies as fire and brimstone preaching. It's not your belief in Jesus that I have a problem with. It's the "My belief is right, you're wrong, and there's no talking about it because you worship the devil." type of attitude that I dislike. It is what herds people from religion in the first place. Also, I cannot help but notice since you did not address that part of my response than that is in fact what you were implying. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that either way, you implied to him that whatever he believes in is wrong. Don't you see that that is the fundamental problem with religion? That is the exact sort of mentality that causes people to fly planes into buildings!

As I said, your belief does not offend me. I understand you feel you are certain of it, but that doesn't make it any more true to me or to him. As was previously mentioned, the Heaven's Gate Cult thought the Hale Bop Comet was going to take them on a spaceship ride to heaven if they drank poison and put plastic bags over their head. They were CERTAIN just as you are. In fact, they were so certain they killed themselves for it. It doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it believable, but they are entitled to that just as you are. All I ask is to step back for a minute, realize that this is also a human being, entitled to his/her own thoughts and beliefs, and that perhaps they may have something worth listening to instead of a complete condemnation of their beliefs.

Oh, and I did not address the posters' remarks because I agreed with them.
Hi GCSTroop, I agree with some of what you're saying here. No matter what we believe, we should be able to show respect for others.

On the other hands, I think you're too strong to say that this sort of certainty in religious doctrine leads people to fly planes into the Twin Towers. Sure, religious terrorists are certain, but so are the religious people who leave everything behind to feed the poor and help the sick. Certainty is not the problem, it's seeing other people as a position to overcome, rather than as people worthy of respect in their own right.

Many people are certain of their beliefs about religion--atheist and theists alike. Are "certainty" and "faith" the same thing sometimes?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 PM

116 posts, read 282,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
Cheguevara, you wrote:

"How do you know....considering you only have 'faith' to go on?"

How do you (or anyone else), define faith? And how does it relate to belief?

(thinking about starting another thread on this question...)
I would define faith as 'belief/trust without proof'.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
I would define faith as 'belief/trust without proof'.
Thanks Che. I think some people who believe in God might also agree with this definition. And I think that what you say captures some of the definition. But the initial problem I have is that this simply makes faith an intellectually deficient belief. So it's automatically suspect. Also, "without proof" is too strong--but maybe that depends on what we count as "proof."

I would probably not define faith in terms of belief, since I think faith is consistent with doubt. You can have doubt, and yet have faith.

And I tend to think that we all believe things that can't be proven, so in that sense, we all have "faith." But I still think "faith" needs to be thought of as broader than simply "belief without proof."

Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM

116 posts, read 282,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
Thanks Che. I think some people who believe in God might also agree with this definition. And I think that what you say captures some of the definition. But the initial problem I have is that this simply makes faith an intellectually deficient belief. So it's automatically suspect. Also, "without proof" is too strong--but maybe that depends on what we count as "proof."
Yes, I concede that 'verifiable proof' would have been better. Thanks for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality