Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:48 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

Some people meditate for peace of mind.
Some people meditate as a therapy for depression, anxiety or stress.
Some people meditate seeking englightment or self realization.

And I'm sure there must be several other reasons that motivate people to meditate.

What is yours?

Love and Light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I used to meditate to rest.
There was a time in my life that I did not even rest in my sleep, because I was on a quest to find the truth. My life (and my psychological well-being) depended on finding the truth. So even during sleep, I was still so focused on my quest that my body did not rest. I started to suffer from insomnia; my mind kept racing at a 100m/h, unfortunately my adrenaline kept me awake. Luckily I've read somewhere that meditation is focusing on a mantra, but letting your body rest. So instead of sleeping I started to try meditation instead. And it worked for me; I just focused on my quest but was able to let my body rest.
After a year or so when I was meditating, I suddenly got high.
I did not like getting high through meditation and was afraid that I might become addicted to meditation so I stopped.
Nowadays I do not need meditation anymore and I'm also not as driven to find the truth as I was in my past. I'm still driven to find the truth, but it comes in the guise of a ‘depression’ instead of insomnia.
So every time I get depressed I know it is time to take a (short) sabbatical to make up my mind.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times
I am soooo jealous of those who can meditate or even quiet their minds. I have never been able to do so. I am simply trying to figure out how to channel my type A personailty into something positive.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
I am soooo jealous of those who can meditate or even quiet their minds. I have never been able to do so. I am simply trying to figure out how to channel my type A personailty into something positive.
Dear MTbound, I hope this kind advice helps

you have to start slowly, meditation is a natural process, you can only get better.

start with 10 minutes everyday, at a time where you are relaxed and not busy, if you can't do it for 10 minutes start with 5, naturally you will increase that time, and as you start to feel better you'll want to do it more and more so that will naturally raise your time again and again.

what meditation technique have you tried?

Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Dear MTbound, I hope this kind advice helps

you have to start slowly, meditation is a natural process, you can only get better.

start with 10 minutes everyday, at a time where you are relaxed and not busy, if you can't do it for 10 minutes start with 5, naturally you will increase that time, and as you start to feel better you'll want to do it more and more so that will naturally raise your time again and again.

what meditation technique have you tried?
I have tried sitting quietly and focusing on one tree, one branch. I once felt like I reached some sort of state many years ago. I married (the first time) WAY too young, but luckily the Army interceded and sent him to Korea and the marriage dissolved on it's own. At the time I swam every morning. I had just discovered that he had a girlfriend (we were still married) and I got in the pool to do my laps with tears in my eyes and I focused on the breathing that I had to do to complete my strokes. Probably a half hour later I realized that I had been swimming with no thought but "breathe right, breathe left" and I felt cathartic. I went out and bought a "do it yourself divorce kit" that day. In all honesty I probably smoked a bunch of pot right afterward as well. Maybe for some action or physical labor can bring about the same result?
If I am washing dishes I try to ONLY be washing the dishes. I try hard to focus on whatever I am doing in any given moment. Actually the fact that I am conversing with You and not posting then turning the computer off is pretty grand.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
I have tried sitting quietly and focusing on one tree, one branch. I once felt like I reached some sort of state many years ago. I married (the first time) WAY too young, but luckily the Army interceded and sent him to Korea and the marriage dissolved on it's own. At the time I swam every morning. I had just discovered that he had a girlfriend (we were still married) and I got in the pool to do my laps with tears in my eyes and I focused on the breathing that I had to do to complete my strokes. Probably a half hour later I realized that I had been swimming with no thought but "breathe right, breathe left" and I felt cathartic. I went out and bought a "do it yourself divorce kit" that day. In all honesty I probably smoked a bunch of pot right afterward as well. Maybe for some action or physical labor can bring about the same result?
If I am washing dishes I try to ONLY be washing the dishes. I try hard to focus on whatever I am doing in any given moment. Actually the fact that I am conversing with You and not posting then turning the computer off is pretty grand.
woow MTbound it seems that you went through a lot of difficult and hard test in your life, I'm sorry and I offer you my most sincere vibes and wishes of well being Try to tap from the fountain of your inner strenght, we all have one and meditation is a way to open it.

Focusing your mind in something while retiring the energy and attention from other things is Concentration, a powerful concentration can lead you far in life, but that's pretty much what you can achieve with it.

Meditation is like Concentration but the difference is that when you are Meditating you are Concentrating in God aka Spirit, it can be in one of their specific characteristics such as.

Peace
Bliss
Love
Wisdom

The idea is to use techniques that allow your mind to focus on those aspects of the spirit, some people do it by prayer, some by breath control, some by repeating mantras or affirmations (E.G. my father and I are one)
others visualize saints or men from God which can inspire them, and others use advanced techniques that arouse the chakras, it doesn't really matter what technique you choose but the results you get from it.

Some people might say, hey but I meditate and I don't believe in God, and it might be true, but at the same time if you concentrate in your breath and that makes you feel peace, you are concentrating on peace you might believe is not a peace that is coming from spirit, but at least it makes you feel peaceful

I hope this helps you, and if you feel the interest for meditation and try, it can greatly improve your quality of life because you are tapping into the fountain of eternal bliss, peace, love and wisdom whether you believe it comes from spirit or not.

Peace, Love, Light and Harmony!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Thanks Travelling fella. For the record my life has been pretty darn easy compared to most. The events which I described took place in the late 1980's. I take responsibility for any bad stuff that has come into my life and move on. I have only been a victim of my own genetics (a family of type A personalities) and poor choices Peace to you!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:

And I'm sure there must be several other reasons that motivate people to meditate.

What is yours?

Love and Light!
to find God through the process of deduction

Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
My reason to meditate is to get in touch with God. I meditate to rid my self of all the pollution of the day that has entered my mind..I focus on God, I focus on His Son... This awakens the Holy Spirit within me and I am able to feel the peace, love, comfort and acceptance I seek It is not hard, it requires no grand philosophical explanation..It doesn't require any worldly wisdom...Just a desire to know His presence

Old 11-15-2019, 02:17 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,149 times

Quote:

What is yours?

Love and Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
My reason to meditate is to get in touch with God. I meditate to rid my self of all the pollution of the day that has entered my mind..I focus on God, I focus on His Son... This awakens the Holy Spirit within me and I am able to feel the peace, love, comfort and acceptance I seek It is not hard, it requires no grand philosophical explanation..It doesn't require any worldly wisdom...Just a desire to know His presence
//pics3.city-data.com/images/ootn2.png

The goal of meditation is to stop thinking about worldly things & simply clear the mind completely so that God can speak to you. When Buddha meditated God spoke to him in symbolic visions that looked real at first. Then he realised they were not real & assumed the gods are false. But it was only the symbolic language of God that he was seeing.
The same in The Book of revelations & many other scriptures. The guy meets The Angel of God who is always standing directly behind everyone all the time, & it shows him masses of symbolic imagery as a way of speaking to him.
The reason God uses symbolic imagery is because it is silent. When He speaks audibly it arouses The Great Beasts of Satan & they arrive & cause all sorts of chaos. So God speaks in silent symbolic visions most of the time, except for an audible word or sentence here & there.

So GOD speaks to all the people who clear their mind enough & look to the spiritual side for contact.

If you fill your mind with prayers & other things from the world or religion then your mind is not clear & you will not notice that God is trying to speak to you.

You need to sit in a quiet place in the evening or at night & block out any distractions so that you can focus on clearing your mind.

God told me to wear a soft black hat or cloth over my eyes during meditation to block out all light, so that I could focus on the symbolic messages He was speaking with. If the room is dark then you won't need that.

It is basically Divine Telepathy that God communicates to you with..

Just focus on clearing the mind of all thought, & you do that by ignoring thoughts that flow into the mind. Every time a thought comes to you then you must push it away & ignore it. If you focus on one tiny thought you will be led off the path. You have to ignore all thought & you will find that after 15-30 minutes your mind does not get inundated with thoughts any more. They simply cease completely & your mind is clear.
You may start to notice your pure awareness devoid of thought allows you to see in all directions at once, & see through the walls & roof & all material things. I experience that & a lot of other people report the same thing.

So when you switch your attention off from worldly things & thought then you start to leave yourself open to a far higher type of perception.

It takes a while to get yourself really clear of all the baggage that this world heaps onto you throughout your life. But after a while you will be speaking to God directly & being shown vast amounts of spiritual things

Last edited by ocean777; 11-15-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality