Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:12 PM

38 posts, read 94,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't believe you can "pray the gay away", you only need to look to the sex scandals that have been going on for the last several years. Men who have tried to NOT be gay, get married, even sing about how being gay is wrong are later caught in a compromising position with someone of the same sex.

I used to work with a guy who had TRIED to be straight, of course his marriage was a disaster, his wife was horrified when she found out the truth and thankfully they had no children. They divorced and he lived as a gay man ever after that.
My old friend does have children, I hope they're not in for a rude awakening when they are older. I sincerely hope he has changed but that doesn't sound possible.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2all View Post
Yes but not nearly as he is now. He really hated himself for his god-given sexuallity. Now he claims that the lord made him straight. I think he just moved farther into the closet or something.
Until you've been there and walked in his shoes, you have no idea what he has gone through. It's so easy to sit back and judge others, but until you've fully understood his feelings, and his religious convictions it's unfair to judge him. For many, religious convictions are more important than physical pleasures. I know that is not the way most people would live, but this person you're talking about chose this route. Give the guy some respect. He's chosen a tough road and if you're a friend, then act like one and support him. Not everyone is trying to go back in the closet. Many are trying to get out, stay out and make a different life for themselves. These people are creating a new subculture and should be respected for their decisions.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 PM

38 posts, read 94,728 times
I am a friend, and I completely support the path that he has chosen. I don't understand it at all so I trying to get a consensus here. So far the consensus says that he's pretty friggin' screwed up. I hope everybody here is wrong, but I fail to see that they are.

Can't he be both a Christian and a homosexual? Certainly being a homosexual will not keep him out of heaven?

But it's too late for all that, he's made his decisions, and I still care about him. Your correct in your point that I should stop judging him and support his new lifestyle.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Until you've been there and walked in his shoes, you have no idea what he has gone through. It's so easy to sit back and judge others, but until you've fully understood his feelings, and his religious convictions it's unfair to judge him. For many, religious convictions are more important than physical pleasures. I know that is not the way most people would live, but this person you're talking about chose this route. Give the guy some respect. He's chosen a tough road and if you're a friend, then act like one and support him. Not everyone is trying to go back in the closet. Many are trying to get out, stay out and make a different life for themselves. These people are creating a new subculture and should be respected for their decisions.
I agree with this post..We never really know another persons very personal belief of what is right and wrong..If the person is a friend, then we should support him (even if we disagree) because you are also his friend and true friendship is accepting and respecting each others differences. We have enough hate in this world without turning on our friends...

Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I can almost agree with you, blue, but I've seen so many women, men, and children hurt because their partners or parents have been unable to stay in their chosen role... because their biology is calling to them...

... it's time we stop joking with ourselves. Some of us are straight, some of us are gay, and some of us are in between.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I have known some people who did things they were not proud of in a drug induced haze. People who were otherwise heterosexual hooked up with members of the same sex but not when they were sober. Thats a different story.

I don't believe people CHOOSE to be gay, anymore then you can CHOOSE to be straight.

Having said that, I don't condemn people who find themselvs in these circumstances. Its sad that society and religion has to make being gay a crime so that people feel the need to deny an integral part of who they are. Society says marry a member of the opposite sex and have children or your not NORMAL, or in some cases you will burn in hell. Of course people try to fit the mold.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I have known some people who did things they were not proud of in a drug induced haze. People who were otherwise heterosexual hooked up with members of the same sex but not when they were sober. Thats a different story.

I don't believe people CHOOSE to be gay, anymore then you can CHOOSE to be straight.

Having said that, I don't condemn people who find themselvs in these circumstances. Its sad that society and religion has to make being gay a crime so that people feel the need to deny an integral part of who they are. Society says marry a member of the opposite sex and have children or your not NORMAL, or in some cases you will burn in hell. Of course people try to fit the mold.

Can you explain what you mean by "It's sad that society and religion has to make being gay a crime?" I've heard that before and don't understand how religion or society says it's a "crime".

When I commented about his "choice". It's evident that this friend has chosen to leave the gay life and live as a heterosexual person.

Can you be gay and a Christian? No, homosexuality will not send you to hell. But you cannot live a sexually active gay life and be a true born-again believer. It goes against what is spoken in the New Testament and the Old. It's definitely a discussion that's been argued throughout the ages, and here on CD, but that is what most born-again believers will tell you.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I don't understand what part of my statement is not clear.

Being gay has been villified by society and churches, not all churches but many and clearly by whatever church you belong to by what you say. Not all Christians agree with your assesment that being gay is wrong.

I respect your belief system and do not wish to quarel with you over it however I do not share it.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I can almost agree with you, blue, but I've seen so many women, men, and children hurt because their partners or parents have been unable to stay in their chosen role... because their biology is calling to them...

... it's time we stop joking with ourselves. Some of us are straight, some of us are gay, and some of us are in between.
I understand and agree with you Jab, but I am trying to point out that sometimes these people are so (religiously) convicted in their decision to be straight that there comes a time when as their friend we have to accept their decision.(Even though it may be the wrong one).I am talking about real true close friends. I am just trying to say that even though I believe that they were born that way and they deserve to live a homosexual life without the hate of society, I would have to honor my friends decision to live his life according to what he thinks is right....I would let him know that I truly believe that he should think long and hard, before he made the decision to live as a straight person, and I would always be there for him...That imo, is the very heart of being a true friend...I believe that Love2all has accepted his friends decision, even though he doesn't believe it was the right decision and I respect him for that, as I am sure his friend does too..

Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what part of my statement is not clear.

Being gay has been villified by society and churches, not all churches but many and clearly by whatever church you belong to by what you say. Not all Christians agree with your assesment that being gay is wrong.

I respect your belief system and do not wish to quarel with you over it however I do not share it.
The part of your statement that was not clear was the usage of the word "crime". That is all. And you're absolutely correct, not all Christians agree with my assessment that being gay is wrong. I'm just sharing my beliefs as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality