Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

But, don't all people have a flood myth as part of their history? Does that mean that it is merely an allegory or does it mean that there once was a devastating flood somewhere in our collective historical past ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 PM

79 posts, read 195,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
But, don't all people have a flood myth as part of their history? Does that mean that it is merely an allegory or does it mean that there once was a devastating flood somewhere in our collective historical past ?
Not all, but many cultures do. Each one of them is different and none mention the same people or circumstances. All that proves is that many cultures experience floods in their local area and have good storytellers. Most also have their own creation myths, but I'm not seeing Christians demanding that those are taught in schools...

I wouldn't use that as support if I were you. Perhaps THEIR flood myth is the correct one and the Bible's is borrowed from them and their gods?

Of course, it is well known that The Bible's flood myth was adapted from the much earlier Gilgamesh stories.

Last edited by Inigo_Montoya; 11-12-2007 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 PM

116 posts, read 282,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
All the flood myths stem from the Sumerian legend of the Epic of Gilgamesh......as did most of the other myths in the bible.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo_Montoya View Post
Of course, it is well known that The Bible's flood myth was adapted from the much earlier Gilgamesh stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
All the flood myths stem from the Sumerian legend of the Epic of Gilgamesh......as did most of the other myths in the bible.
Once again, IMO, you have your information reversed. It was the epic of Gilgamesh that was adapted from the true account of Noah and the global flood. The Noachian flood happened first. The epic of Gilgamesh and all the other flood stories from various cultures are offshoots of the original.

Let me explain.....but wait, that's right. Neither of you are here to gain understanding of others viewpoints. You're just here to ridicule and mock. You've already declared you don't believe in the existence of Jesus, let alone the Bible. All your "questions" are followed by "just-so" statements as if you already know the truth or your version of it and you want to dictate how others respond by limiting what you'll accept as proper support for answers. So what's your purpose in asking all these questions? Further understanding or just opportunities to feel superior to others? If it's for the former, I'll gladly provide my viewpoints. If it's for the latter, I'll kindly put you on "ignore".

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Once again, IMO, you have your information reversed. It was the epic of Gilgamesh that was adapted from the true account of Noah and the global flood. The Noachian flood happened first. The epic of Gilgamesh and all the other flood stories from various cultures are offshoots of the original.
I'm sorry, but that just isn't historic factual and that's *not* IMO. The Sumerian myths predate the story of Noah by at least a thousand years in the written form and at least five hundred years more orally. Whether you accept reality or not, that is a fact.

Last edited by Inigo_Montoya; 11-12-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that just isn't historic factual and that's *not* IMO. The Sumerian myths predate the story of Noah by at least a thousand years in the written form and at least five hundred years more orally. Whether you accept reality or not, that is a fact.
So, do you really want to know why I believe this or are you just interested in feeling superior to any answer I provide? Or, better yet, will you just dismiss my argument as biased and unscientific or fantasy?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
So, do you really want to know why I believe this or are you just interested in feeling superior to any answer I provide?
I've dealt with creationists long enough to know already why you believe it... because a handful of creation "scientists" and their websites, books, documentaries etc offer you incorrect and distorted historical and scientific information, which you accept as fact because it confirms your beliefs and makes you happy. That's fine.

Quote:
Obetter yet, will you just dismiss my argument as biased and unscientific or fantasy?
If the shoe fits.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I've dealt with creationists long enough to know already why you believe it... because a handful of creation "scientists" and their websites, books, documentaries etc offer you incorrect and distorted historical and scientific information, which you accept as fact because it confirms your beliefs and makes you happy. That's fine.

If the shoe fits.
If you already know, then what's the purpose of your posts other than to troll? If you're not open to an exchange of information and ideas, why bother posting... unless you're only out to berate others for their beliefs.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
If you already know, then what's the purpose of your posts other than to troll? If you're not open to an exchange of information and ideas, why bother posting... unless you're only out to berate others for their beliefs.
I guess I'm doing exactly what Christians do to everyone else. Not fun is it?

The difference is, my statements are based on reality and scientific facts. I believe in the addage "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" in this case I'll substitute "educated" for "good" and "ignorance" for "evil" though I do believe that ignorance is a form of evil.

If no one counters creationists & fundamentalists and their agenda then they will gain even more power over others than tehy already have. I don't really want this country to end up as a third world Theocracy like Iran.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 PM

116 posts, read 282,757 times
Quote:
A little research of sites that have no religious agenda would show you how wrong you are.

Quote:
So what's your purpose in asking all these questions? Further understanding or just opportunities to feel superior to others?
What is your purpose for being here? Can you honestly say that you are here to learn and acquire understanding from non-theists?

Quote:
If it's for the former, I'll gladly provide my viewpoints.
Your views are important as far as I'm concerned....but if I disagree with them, I will challenge them and ask you to provide evidence to support your claim. That's how debate works isn't it? It's not about each side accepting what the other claims without challenging it....if it was there would be no debate.

Quote:
If it's for the latter, I'll kindly put you on "ignore".
As you wish....but nobody ever learned anything by sticking their fingers in their ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality