Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:30 AM

116 posts, read 282,736 times

Advertisements

Theists claim that the bible is "The inerrant, infallible and inspired word of God".

Question for debate:

Which one of the seventy-five or so versions of the bible, which differ from one another, is the "inerrant, infallible, inspired word of god"? How do they identify the correct version?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 AM

149 posts, read 386,770 times
The bible, as far as I'm concerned is the word of men who lived thousands of years ago and explained to the best of their ability how the world came into existence. It contains zero supporting evidence, and it's claims, not only ludicrous, are far too fantastic for any rational adult to take seriously.

If the bible were the word of god, I would expect to find a more accurate definition of PI (not just 3.1). If it were the word of god, I'd expect mention of evolutionary pressures which ultimately result in genetic diversification. I'd expect mention of the cosmos, to know that the Earth is round not flat, and mention of dinosaurs and the other millions of species that predated humans.

Humans were NOT, as the bible erroneously states, the first living creatures on this Earth. There is a plethora of evidence, tangible bone records and fossils which prove it.

If the bible were the word of god, then why is everything contained within it inaccurate?

Old 11-11-2007, 01:56 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,359 times
the bible says that he created plants and animals before humans

but also...the bible has changed from its original through translation errors....the ideals of the scribes...political desires....so on and so forth
and though i believe that the original authors of the bible were inspired by god....it would be impossible for them to see it in its entirety ..and even comprehend its meaning...giving the problems associated with interpretation
also in the christian sense of free will...if the bible explained everything in its entirety and true meaning it would make it impossible for free will to occur...because everyone would understand it ...and couldn't disagree with it
all theist wouldn't agree with the statement the bible is "The inerrant, infallible and inspired word of God"....only fundamentalist christians

Old 11-11-2007, 01:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
The word of God is found in the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Bible (in all its versions), the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana, the Torah, the Guru Granth Sahib, the Tao te Ching, and hundreds of works we've never heard of. God did not send his/her message only to one place/people/or culture on this earth.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:05 AM

What I don't understand is that each of those religions have different versions of how we came into existence, as well as different prophets who they deem to be associated with god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
God did not send his/her message only to one place/people/or culture on this earth.
More likely, people living in various parts of the Earth came up with explanations, however primitive, which looked to answer the basic question of, "Why am I here?"

Old 11-11-2007, 02:12 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
I can't really give any insight to any other languages, however, all of the English versions that I have compared, so far (including: NASB, NIV, KJV, NKJV, Amplified and a couple of others) all say basically the same thing, just different wording. Therefore, even though there may be many translations, the main ideas are still the same.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 AM

116 posts, read 282,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I can't really give any insight to any other languages, however, all of the English versions that I have compared, so far (including: NASB, NIV, KJV, NKJV, Amplified and a couple of others) all say basically the same thing, just different wording. Therefore, even though there may be many translations, the main ideas are still the same.
I'd have to disagree Kawg. If they were all basically the same there wouldn't be almost 34,000 different denominations of Christianity.....each one believing that they have "the truth".

Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
I'd have to disagree Kawg. If they were all basically the same there wouldn't be almost 34,000 different denominations of Christianity.....each one believing that they have "the truth".
They pretty much all say the same (like I said prior, the English versions that I have read...I don't know anything about other languages, and I am sure there are versions I have touched on.). It's MAN'S interpretations that is the core for all the varying beliefs and denominations. It is man that tends to twist things to suit himself...God's Word is God's Word. While there may be SOME differences (such as Thou shalt not kill vs Thou shalt not murder), the overall meaning is still the same.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
What I don't understand is that each of those religions have different versions of how we came into existence, as well as different prophets who they deem to be associated with god.
this is not necessarily true....take the 3 major monotheistic religions for example...though judaism doesn't believe in christ...all christians believe in the prophets of judaism ...and even though christians don't believe in muhammad...muslims would describe jesus as a prophet of the word of god..along with the prophets of judaism

also its apparent to me that there are many similarities in all religions..to the point that it seems to have come from the same source...the difference in beliefs stem only from the differences in cultures and ways of thinking...naturally the word of god would be interpreted differently in different cultures...

the problem with every ...or i should say most religions is that the belief that their religion brings closer in that their is no need to go any further

Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
They pretty much all say the same (like I said prior, the English versions that I have read...I don't know anything about other languages, and I am sure there are versions I have touched on.). It's MAN'S interpretations that is the core for all the varying beliefs and denominations. It is man that tends to twist things to suit himself...God's Word is God's Word. While there may be SOME differences (such as Thou shalt not kill vs Thou shalt not murder), the overall meaning is still the same.
So then if it's man's interpretation, how then can Christians so emphatically declare who's doomed to hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality