Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well it should be obvious,.......
Well it's not obvious to me (I'm a bit dim, no formal education ya see ) so please tell me which book and verse says that he will come a second time. I don't want your interpretations old fruit. Where does it actually say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:49 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This would be because of bigotry against anything that is associated with God or religion being categorized as NOT history. Otherwise there is more than ample historical record.
The scribes of that period (Jewish, Roman, Egyptian) make no mention of Jesus. A very strange anomaly if the bible story is indeed true.

You write it off flippantly. I think the bigotry is now exposed.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hearsay says NOTHING about who lied or told the truth . . . ONLY that it is hearsay. ANY DESCRIPTIVE narrative about the pictures and artifacts, etc. is hearsay. A videotape was shown of an old woman standing at a bus stop when from off-camera a young black male grabbed the woman's purse and dragged her off camera. When the audience was asked what they had witnessed they unanimously described it as a purse-snatching (narrative explaining the history of the event). The same video was shown with an expanded view of the same event and it could clearly be seen that there was a car careening out of control and headed toward the woman at the bus stop. The young man risked his life to grab her and pull her out of the path of the car (revised narrative of the history of the event). The reason they are both hearsay is because the underlying reality in the narratives reported did NOT change . . . only the point of view and perspective of the narrators.
Oh for goodness sake read my mail again. I cannot deal with someone who will not discuss simple truths -- and I couldn't have made my truths any simpler.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
There doesn't seem to be any historical record of the christ figure. He must exist as a middle eastern legend.

There are a number of historical records that speak of Christ, yet I believe Ralph Waldo Emerson sums it up best.

"THE NAME OF JESUS IS NOT SO MUCH WRITTEN AS PLOWED INTO THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD."

http://www.grantjeffrey.com/article/historicalev.htm

Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well it's not obvious to me (I'm a bit dim, no formal education ya see ) so please tell me which book and verse says that he will come a second time. I don't want your interpretations old fruit. Where does it actually say it.

Unless you read all the prophecies of the Old Testament, it is very hard to see the whole picture. Yet in the Book of Zechariah chapter 12, it speaks of the day when God Himself will defend Israel from all the nations of the earth who will gather themselves against her. And God tells us, He will defend the people of Jerusalem from this great invading army. Now you would think the Jewish people would be overjoyed that God protected them. Yet, after God defends them. And when the Jewish people finally get see who their God is, consider their reaction. Zechariah chapter 12 verses 10 to 14. Consider how these endtime Jewish folks, react to their Messiah.

1. WHEN THE JEWISH PEOPLE SEE WHO HE IS, THEY BEGIN TO MOURN OVER THEIR MESSIAH?

2. WHY WOULD THEY GRIEVE OVER HIM?

3. AND WHY WOULD THEIR MESSIAH SAY, HE WAS THE ONE THE JEWISH PEOPLE PIERCED?

4. WHY WOULD ALL THE PEOPLE OF ISRAEL ALL SPLIT APART TO MORN FOR HIM, WITH EACH CLAN BY ITSELF, AND WITH THEIR WIVES BY THEMSELVES:?

5. WHY WOULD THEY GRIEVE SO BITTERLY, FOR THEIR MESSIAH?

WHAT IS IT, THAT THESE JEWISH PEOPLE JUST FOUND OUT? WHEN THEIR MESSIAH APPEARS, IT SHOULD BE A DAY OF GREAT CELEBRATION, AND NOT A DAY OF SADNESS, GRIEF, AND GREAT BITTERNESS.

Last edited by Campbell34; 03-02-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Unless you read all the prophecies of the Old Testament, it is very hard to see the whole picture. Yet in the Book of Zechariah chapter 12, it speaks of the day when God Himself will defend Israel from all the nations of the earth who will gather themselves against her. And God tells us, He will defend the people of Jerusalem from this great invading army. Now you would think the Jewish people would be overjoyed that God protected them. Yet, after God defends them. And when the Jewish people finally get see who their God is, consider their reaction. Zechariah chapter 12 verses 10 to 14. Consider how these endtime Jewish folks, react to their Messiah.

1. WHEN THE JEWISH PEOPLE SEE WHO HE IS, THEY BEGIN TO MOURN OVER THEIR MESSIAH?

2. WHY WOULD THEY GRIEVE OVER HIM?

3. AND WHY WOULD THEIR MESSIAH SAY, HE WAS THE ONE THE JEWISH PEOPLE PIERCED?

4. WHY WOULD ALL THE PEOPLE OF ISRAEL ALL SPLIT APART TO MORN FOR HIM, WITH EACH CLAN BY ITSELF, AND WITH THEIR WIVES BY THEMSELVES:?

5. WHY WOULD THEY GRIEVE SO BITTERLY, FOR THEIR MESSIAH?

WHAT IS IT, THAT THESE JEWISH PEOPLE JUST FOUND OUT? WHEN THEIR MESSIAH APPEARS, IT SHOULD BE A DAY OF GREAT CELEBRATION, AND NOT A DAY OF SADNESS, GRIEF, AND GREAT BITTERNESS.
Well thanks old beast for that ramble that had absolutely nothing to do with what I asked you. Let me try again. Is there/are there Jewish scriptures that specifically state that the Messiah will come, complete SOME of the prophecies and then return a second time to finish the job?

You see old horse, all I can find is scripture saying that he will come and fulfil ALL the Jewish prophecies at once....

"He shall not fail or be crushed until he has set the right in the earth"

One cannot say, by any stretch of the imagination, that this Jesus character fulfilled everything or even anything he was supposed to do when he was allegedly here. So please, I ask yet again. Where is the scripture that says he will come, fail miserably in his allotted tasks and then return to have a second go at what he was supposed to do the first time he came?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 AM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
I dont care if God came down as a talking frog its the message that counts...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I dont care if God came down as a talking frog its the message that counts...
Then become a follower of the Buddha.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then become a follower of the Buddha.
Except that the life of Jesus as portrayed and lasting even through His scourging and death is the most perfect example of "maitri" . . . hence He is the best possible candidate for the "Maitreya" that Buddha expected to follow after him. (All claims of physical succession or disciplic inheritance are irrelevant to a spiritual accomplishment).

Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Oh for goodness sake read my mail again. I cannot deal with someone who will not discuss simple truths -- and I couldn't have made my truths any simpler.
Simplicity does not mean truth . . . just simplistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality