Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 02:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
As far as this binding thing goes... in return I would also appreciate that others don't bind me according to their view of things.
thats right coffee.

all you and I are talking about is how to evaluate a claim, we are not talking what we are claiming. because, quite frankly, you and I don't seem to care that much past "yeah, I see that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 02:59 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
think "reliable" instead of "repeatable"

for instance, my intuition is a reliable source of useful information. Prayer is a reliable source of peace and well-being. I know this by having experienced that result over and over and over, consistently and repeatedly, year after year. those are examples. verified by me in my own daily life.
This I can grasp. This makes sense to me.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats right coffee.

all you and I are talking about is how to evaluate a claim, we are not talking what we are claiming. because, quite frankly, you and I don't seem to care that much past "yeah, I see that."
I appreciate that you and others here responded to my question. It is just one of those things that keeps cropping up -- that we need repeatable results.

I do have to say that it is not my expectation that its necessarily repeatable like a science experiment. I like Tzaphkiel's "reliable" cause that pertains to each of us on our own journey. Can I rely on it? (whatever it is we're discussing). Can I try it out and see if it helps me? That is where the value is at for me.

Again thanks guys, all of you. In one way or another you all helped

Old 12-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:

I also meant to add that yes Arach, I agree. If I can get what someone is saying, even though they may come from a very different place than me, well that is good.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
think "reliable" instead of "repeatable"

for instance, my intuition is a reliable source of useful information. Prayer is a reliable source of peace and well-being. I know this by having experienced that result over and over and over, consistently and repeatedly, year after year. those are examples. verified by me in my own daily life.
I would say, your claim, fits my my repeatable. Thus it more reliable than the claim prayer doesn't work under any condition(s).

Old 12-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I also meant to add that yes Arach, I agree. If I can get what someone is saying, even though they may come from a very different place than me, well that is good.
thats it in the end. there is no war between science, spirituality, and religion. They can exist just fine to together. In fact, I would say all three are better together than any one is alone.

Hmmm ... I wonder ... that may be the single most important starting point in determining the reliability of the claim.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 PM

3,061 posts, read 914,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have known parents that subscribe to that philosophy. Thankfully many of them were reported to Child Protective Services.
You may have known parents who flog their children unmercifully for some misdemeanor, and in some cases, even killing the child, those type of animals need to be put down.

But a gentle smack on the backside, can cause enough pain to make the child think again before repeating that for which they had previously been chastised.

As the man of wisdom has said, those who refuse to chastise their children, have no real love for their kids, and are unconcerned as to how they will develop. Or just afraid of what the bleeding hearts of the world will think of them.

I liken the bleeding hearts of the world to the AIDs virus, which in itself does not harm you, except that it locks itself onto your anti-bodies, the warrior cells of the body, which blinds them to the invaders which will destroy you.

Love, mercy and compassion
Somehow seem to be the fashion
Among the righteous and the goodies of today’s society
They lobby the authorities
Although they are minorities
Demanding . . . . that our children’s killers be shown partiality

Like A.I.D.S they never hurt you
They’re just a virus growing in you
That prevents your antibodies
From accomplishing their ends
They simply let the cells that kill you
Multiply until they fill you
And destroy the very body on which your life depends

Now to cure the greater body
We must get rid of those who lobby
For justice in this world to slowly fade
The price of crime must be extracted
Old penalties reenacted
Life for life and compensation must be paid

Will the children of our future
Praise this age who in it’s stupor
Encouraged cancerous cells to multiply
Or do we heed the warning
Of our unborn child who’s calling
Physician, heal thyself. Or else I die...…...The Anointed.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post

nipped for space ...

Will the children of our future
Praise this age who in it’s stupor
Encouraged cancerous cells to multiply
Or do we heed the warning
Of our unborn child who’s calling
Physician, heal thyself. Or else I die...…...The Anointed.
some people can't think like that . they can't conceive of that notion.

But I can't say its god's will either.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:42 PM

3,061 posts, read 914,729 times
Quote:
some people can't think like that . they can't conceive of that notion.

But I can't say its god's will either.
The biblical God will, my friend, He demands that we should respect human life and demands that true justice should be done. And when the Lord's day arrives, in which he shall judge the whole world with justice, each and every person will be held responsible for any injustice they commit against their fellow man.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:53 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
The biblical God will, my friend, He demands that we should respect human life and demands that true justice should be done. And when the Lord's day arrives, in which he shall judge the whole world with justice, each and every person will be held responsible for any injustice they commit against their fellow man.
Oh yawn. I have been hearing this for 60 years. It's boring. If you're gonna preach to atheists, you need some new arrows in your quiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality